My Silver 03 Sport Trac Build | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My Silver 03 Sport Trac Build

Looks like everything's coming along quite nicely.

You might want to fit the spacers on your truck. If I remember correctly, the wheel studs are longer than the 1.25" spacers. If they are, you may have to grind them down a bit to get your rims to sit flush against the spacer.

It's the 1" spacers that are too slim. 1.25" work like a charm. I used to have them on mine.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I dig those rims. They aren't too different from the ATX's on mine. You've got good taste, lol

Why thank you! They should look really good! I'm very excited to get them on!

It's the 1" spacers that are too slim. 1.25" work like a charm. I used to have them on mine.

Well that is great news! How did you like them and how did it look on your truck??

I used to have 1.25" spacers on mine as well and I remember the studs sticking out a little further than the spacer. The only reason why it worked was because the factory rims that I had at the time had a little notch on the inside of the rim that was just deep enough for the end of the studs that were sticking out past the spacer to fit into.

Were you running stock rims when you had the 1.25" spacers too or did you already have aftermarket rims?

I used to have 1.25" spacers on mine as well and I remember the studs sticking out a little further than the spacer. The only reason why it worked was because the factory rims that I had at the time had a little notch on the inside of the rim that was just deep enough for the end of the studs that were sticking out past the spacer to fit into.

Were you running stock rims when you had the 1.25" spacers too or did you already have aftermarket rims?

I'm interested to know as well! I'll see if I can get some photos of the back of the rim to see if I will luck out or not! :thumbsup:

Here's a pic that I found on mysporttrac.com:

ST%20Wheel%20Studs%20small.gif

That's how I remember my spacers being which is why I ended up selling them when I bought the rims at are on my truck now.

ST%20Wheel%20Studs%20small.gif

That's how I remember my spacers being which is why I ended up selling them when I bought the rims at are on my truck now.

Hmmm... I think I might sell them and pick up a pair of 1.5 inch then. I'm not sure what I want to do right now! I need to see the back of my rims before I make a decision :shifty_ey

Nah I was running 17x8.5 MB Wheels TKOs when I installed the spacers and I loved the stance they gave the truck.

Strange, I don't remember them sticking past the spacers at all on mine.

Also random thought: Mine were hub-centric which made mounting the tire and making sure everything was centered much easier.

Hey everyone, got a few questions! I'm looking into lifts (nothing crazy only about a 1.5") So TT for the front that's a no brainer! Now for the rear should I go with a Shackle lift or add a leaf kit? I know I loose some down travel in the TT which could compromise traction in some situations, so if I go with 1.5 I should still (Technically) have half a inch of down travel. Now If I go with this lift and do raise her up 1.5 inches could I go with 32 inch tires? Meaning 265/7516's I also might go with a wider tire like a 275/75/16. New rims are wider so I know that wouldn't be an issue! Let me know if you can help me out! I used this thread to help me out: http://mysporttrac.com/shared/msgboard9e.asp?BOARDNAME=MSG&VIEW=1341514&sitename=mysporttrac

Hey just thought I would chime in! Been doing a lot of driving and studying recently! Had to drive about an hour to a testing place for my written EMR and got to enjoy the trac, its very solid on the high way. Just seems I have a bad imbalance in my rear passengers tire so that's pretty annoying. But it isn't horrible!

That afternoon I decided to hit up some hills and back roads here in VT with one of my buddies and got the truck a little muddy and saw some great views! Gotta say I was impressed with how my truck preformed on some of the real muddy roads! Well enough of me, heres some pic's:
10168066_10201823101604178_748842501992693608_n.jpg

10169223_10201823100084140_2420982844757531832_n.jpg

10257757_10201823100604153_2973614492697506089_n.jpg

Next day I had to bring my buddies to a storage unit since they are shipping off to basic training and needed help moving their stuff, heres the truck fully packed. Gotta love Parachute cord!
10325173_10201823099644129_1106626462445347650_n.jpg

Also here is an update on the running boards! My dad has been busy coating and painting them. Also I had a new hanger for them built for $50 by a local place. Here are the pictures!
10337744_10201823099404123_2085091220696812229_n.jpg

10342826_10201823099164117_8291817073139336482_n.jpg

And here they are almost done!
10177915_10201823099004113_7681308878849246832_n.jpg

So that all looks good! Well today my check engine light came on and it drives fine so I will have that checked out once I get home. Hopefully something minor but I guess we will see! Talk to you all then! :salute::D

Hey everyone!

Well, been busy with all the new parts ect! Gotta say though the truck looks amazing!
Some work in progress photos!
10170733_10201894596551507_5922323110787381953_n.jpg

10358551_10201895402251649_351762324622093053_n.jpg

Here are some pictures!
10330408_10201907087383770_7303863418038027578_n.jpg

And one with me in it!
10365832_10201907090503848_5646476973081752458_n.jpg

Well I had to return the spacers because they didn't fit so thank you guys for the heads up on that!!

Well next project I have to remove the front bumper and put in new fog light housings and bulbs because mine are cracked and the bulbs aren't bright. Does anyone have any suggestions about what fog lights I should get? should I go with HID's? Also if anyone could shoot me a link to a good write up on how to remove the front bumper that would be super awesome!

Thanks everyone! :D:D

Looks good man! I would go with an LED fog setup before HIDs, but at the same time I would keep it simple and use bright halogen bulbs.

I don't know of any write-ups to take the front bumper off. However, it's really easy. Basically you take all the little screws (Phillips head) on the edge front side of the wheel well out. There's (2) 8mm (pretty sure on sizes) bolts to remove on the front side of the week wells. There's also a little ball thing bolted to the passenger side liner just as a heads up. Also holding the front of the liners up are a few Christmas tree clips that you'll pop off.

You can see the screws on the left side of the picture:

B4DCA607-32C5-4DF1-B36F-35B7359CDC65_zpsfmii8js9.jpg

This one's from the passenger side. You can see the 4 bolts I mentioned. I can't remember if these are hooked to the front bumper cover or not but here they are in case you need to take them off (or ever want to take the liner out for something).

2ECD9539-19F6-4FBB-871A-A6689FE58251_zpsl9suybh3.jpg

And the 4 bolts across the top of the engine bay. Be careful when tightening these back up because you don't want to crack the plastic or break the fiberglass they mount into.

1A935F62-48CB-47C3-ABC7-D569A0C2E05F_zpshtezpd1l.jpg

Looks good man! I would go with an LED fog setup before HIDs, but at the same time I would keep it simple and use bright halogen bulbs. I don't know of any write-ups to take the front bumper off. However, it's really easy. Basically you take all the little screws (Phillips head) on the edge front side of the wheel well out. There's (2) 8mm (pretty sure on sizes) bolts to remove on the front side of the week wells. There's also a little ball thing bolted to the passenger side liner just as a heads up. Also holding the front of the liners up are a few Christmas tree clips that you'll pop off. You can see the screws on the left side of the picture: This one's from the passenger side. You can see the 4 bolts I mentioned. I can't remember if these are hooked to the front bumper cover or not but here they are in case you need to take them off (or ever want to take the liner out for something). And the 4 bolts across the top of the engine bay. Be careful when tightening these back up because you don't want to crack the plastic or break the fiberglass they mount into.

Thanks for all of that! And LED's would be sweet but sounds complicated right? I mean I could just get round LED fogs in the same size as the stock ones and do it that way. But I'm not sure if that would make much of a difference since the fogs sit so low. Let me look around online for some ideas and ill post and ask here. It would be cool to do something custom like that!

Thanks again for the write up and the photos!

No problem that's what we're all here for. Having a Super Duty I'm on the powerstroke forums a good bit and se a a lot of guys who swapped in Rigid Industries Dually lights or similar for fogs.

Truck is looking nice! I like the rims. Got any tips for painting all the trim while still on the truck? Like how to get the bottom of the back bumper? I cant get the rivets out to take it off so I might just spray it while its on the truck.

You have to cut those rivets with a sawzall or other saw to get the cover off. They aren't necessary to reinstall either.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I tried a sawzall and it barely fit under the truck and when I got it where I wanted it it wouldn't bite into the metal it was just bouncing around so I tried 2 drill it out and it went crooked and came out at the edge of the rivet and did not work. Starting to frustrate me:(

Back