My turbocharged 2000 5.0 AWD.... | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My turbocharged 2000 5.0 AWD....

I just wanted to show off my DIY remote build. The truck is an AWD 2000 5.0 Explorer. - I like to think of it as an AWD SUV Mustang:) This truck actually was lifted with tube bumpers, safari rack, and 32" ATs on 20" wheels just a few months ago- it has undergone a big transformation here lately. It is now lowered slightly in the front with the rear at stock height(with sagging springs). I kept the same wheels but put smaller tires on them and added 2" spacers. Now onto the turbo...

The Turbo is a T04E 57trim which turned out to be perfect for remote mounting. It is a little small if one wanted 10psi+, but I planned on 6psi max and fast spool. I am using the stock exhaust with muffler delete to the turbo, then a 3" mandrel bent tailpipe. In the tailpipe is my AEM wideband o2 sensor. For charge pipe, I bought a 2" mandrel bent intercooler kit along with some 2" pipe from my local muffler shop. For couplers, I am using cut pieces of 2" ID radiator hose. It can be bought from Advance Auto pretty cheaply- I got one piece that was a large 90 for $13 and had some left over. I just cut it into the desired length with a bandsaw. The charge pipe goes to a 2" to 2.5" steel adapter, then into a 2.5" to 3" silicone coupler from AutoZone. This coupler feeds into my 3" BOV adapter then into the 3" mandrel bend aluminum pipe leading into the engine bay. I brought the 3" down pretty far to try and eliminate turbulence in the MAF.

I am using an STS oil pump to return the oil back to the oil filler neck. I got the pump from an STS dealer who upgraded a customers car to their high volume pump. I am using the nipple that originally had the vent hose to the intake for the oil return fitting- I am using a vented push in oil cap to make up for it. It was alot easier this way than tapping the oil cap like STS does.

I haven't had it tuned yet but it will break the tires loose from a rolling start in 1st gear(remember, I am AWD), and I have full boost almost immediately. I already have a 6psi spring for the wastegate that will go in when I put on the 30lb injectors and Cobra fuel pump.

Here are the pictures and it you have any questions just ask.

Attachments

• IM000974 (Medium).JPG
    IM000974 (Medium).JPG
    81.4 KB · Views: 9,014
  • IM000977 (Medium).JPG
    IM000977 (Medium).JPG
    79.3 KB · Views: 8,157
  • IM000989 (Large) (Medium).JPG
    IM000989 (Large) (Medium).JPG
    71.5 KB · Views: 8,139
  • IM000972 (Medium).JPG
    IM000972 (Medium).JPG
    86.5 KB · Views: 11,930

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

you can get a 05 mustang maf.. a lot of my sct tunner friends use them on just about every thing. according to them they prefer to use them because of the intergrated iat in the maff as well as there versatility and range. i would always get with your tunner to find out what maff he prefers to tune with. some like to use the same maff because they are use to using the same one all the time.

Is the 05 Mustang MAF built into their intake pipe like my F150's is? As long as it has the standard Ford mounting, I could put it in my current housing, or I have a 3" universal MAF housing I could use.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Don't use a Marauder meter! The electronics just plain suck (max ad counts very low). This comes directly from SCT in thier basic training manual. They are barely marginal for the stock Marauder and SCT recommends if a dealer custom tunes one that the customer be pursueded to replace the meter with a lightning, or a BA series. They are a six wire just like the lightning meter and the lightning meter is just so much better of a meter. I have an external IAT and use a lightning meter so the integrated iat in the lightning meter just isn't used. Not trying to stir anything up but A blow thru setup will saturate (peg) the meter before a draw thru setup. How much before? I don't know! Every combination is different but SCT always recommends using a draw thru setup when possible. I am going to do a recirculate bov system after the beginning of the year. There are people successfully running blow thru systems though, I will not discredit that, but the driveability and meter range is better in a draw thru. Your setup looks good in the picture,no sharp bends and straight before and after the meter. Excellent from a tuning standpoint-James

Good to know. What about the 80mm Lightning meter? I dont want to use the 90mm because my forward charge pipe is 3". I guess I could always put the Lightning electronics in one of my housings. What do you think about swapping housings?

Does the Lightning meter have an IATS? I was thinking it didnt. I can get a '03 Cobra meter pretty cheap, but I was worried about the IATS problem. So the IATS is in the MAF but it is not used? - I know the Lightning and '03 Cobra use a sensor after the supercharger.

hey check out vmp tunning he is who doug is buying a dyno from. justin is his name, he sells flanges that you just drill and tap your pipe for and just slide the electronics in to the flange. they have both standard lighting/regular style and the newer style ford ones that are very popular now. also you can just a straight section of 3.5 with this type of flange and get very good tunning numbers.

Is the 05 Mustang MAF built into their intake pipe like my F150's is? As long as it has the standard Ford mounting, I could put it in my current housing, or I have a 3" universal MAF housing I could use.

The 05+ Mustang MAS is something you would probably not want to bother going with. It is a slot-in type of sensor first of all which does not lend well to your configuration due to it being a totally different wiring pigtail connector as well as the mounting being totally different. It can be made to work, but there are other much easier and better options out there for you. Also it will probably peg much quicker than some of the other suggestions in here as well. Also, being that not too many people are upgrading their 05+ Mustang MAS's all the time they will be pricier than a used L-MAF or 03/04 Cobra MAS are, which I have seen going for as low as $35-50.

I see Dan suggested Justin @ VMP. One hell of a guy there. I once was buying an SCT Pro Racer Package database to tune my buddies fully built/supercharged 01 Cobra with and he was VEEEEERY quick with a responce. The best thing was that he was out of the office going home for the day and another guy in his office called his cell for me. They had me lined up with another PRP database within an hour. Yeah, good guys. And through talking with him in the SCT PRP tuning forum on the SCT homesite he seems like one hell of a knowledgeable tuner. His reputation definately does precede him.

Does the Lightning meter have an IATS? I was thinking it didnt. I can get a '03 Cobra meter pretty cheap, but I was worried about the IATS problem. So the IATS is in the MAF but it is not used? - I know the Lightning and '03 Cobra use a sensor after the supercharger.

If you stick with a blow-through MAS setup then use a MAS with an integrated IATS to keep things simple if you want. If you decide to reconfigure to use your MAS in draw-through or if you go with the L-MAF or 03/04 Cobra MAF then you will need to cut the 2 outside wires of your stocker 6 pin MAS pigtail connector and splice into a threaded IATS that will have to be located not too far before the TB to get a correct intake air temp charge reading. For future possible purposes, make sure if you do mount a separate IATS in your intake that is is done after the intercooler.

If you stick with a blow-through MAS setup then use a MAS with an integrated IATS to keep things simple if you want. If you decide to reconfigure to use your MAS in draw-through or if you go with the L-MAF or 03/04 Cobra MAF then you will need to cut the 2 outside wires of your stocker 6 pin MAS pigtail connector and splice into a threaded IATS that will have to be located not too far before the TB to get a correct intake air temp charge reading. For future possible purposes, make sure if you do mount a separate IATS in your intake that is is done after the intercooler.

I haven't had an opportunity to answer Justin's question earlier about the MAF's but Rocket did an excellent job of it. The screw in IAT Rocket is talking about is from a Lightning. Once again (as usual) I agree with Rocket to stay away for the slot style or "credit card" style 05 Must meter for your application. BTW I offered to do Justin's tuning if he was interested!

What are some other cheap alternative turbo's that can be used? What about the stock turbo off of an srt4? Im about to start piecing together a kit for my 4.0 v6. Im loving your setup, very clean.

What are some other cheap alternative turbo's that can be used? What about the stock turbo off of an srt4? Im about to start piecing together a kit for my 4.0 v6. Im loving your setup, very clean.

The stock SRT4 turbo hot side is built onto the manifold, so it cant be used. You could use a stock Buick GN turbo, a Sy/Ty, or a Holset hy35 from an automatic Cummins Dodge.

Lol yea i just found out. Appreciate the help though, how is driving with all that on your stock computer/ecu like? When you get bigger injectors are you getting some sort of fuel managment system?
Thanks for the help!

When I turbo my truck, I plan on driving on extremly low boost (4 psi to be on safe side) is that the smart thing to do? OR am i fine pushing it about 6 pounds. (this is without bigger injectors and without a tune)

When I turbo my truck, I plan on driving on extremly low boost (4 psi to be on safe side) is that the smart thing to do? OR am i fine pushing it about 6 pounds. (this is without bigger injectors and without a tune)

I wouldnt do it at all without upgrading the fuel system.

A little update on this... I knew my turbo was a little small when I started this project. It is fine for low boost, but wont hang when I go higher.

I taught myself to read compressor maps this week. My turbo is out of its efficiency range, but still works fine with my low boost. The turbine side is a little small to- being a stage 3 trim. This is the main reason I am upgrading.

I have ordered a T61 with a P-trim .84 T3 flanged hotside. The .84 is the only T3 flanged P trim, so I got it. If boost comes too late, I'll go to the .58 housing and move up to a T4 flange. On P-trim housings, it really doesnt matter if it's a T4 or T3 flow wise- If you look into a T4 housing version it immediately drops to the same area as the T3 variant. A little FYI: STS uses P trim turbines on their base V8 kits with a 60-1 compressor. My compressor is slightly larger than their base turbo.

I didn't leave enough room in my configuration to add a T4 flange- so if I move up I'll have to modify it a little. It wont take much though.

A little update on this... I knew my turbo was a little small when I started this project. It is fine for low boost, but wont hang when I go higher.

I taught myself to read compressor maps this week. My turbo is out of its efficiency range, but still works fine with my low boost. The turbine side is a little small to- being a stage 3 trim. This is the main reason I am upgrading.

I have ordered a T61 with a P-trim .84 T3 flanged hotside. The .84 is the only T3 flanged P trim, so I got it. If boost comes too late, I'll go to the .58 housing and move up to a T4 flange. On P-trim housings, it really doesnt matter if it's a T4 or T3 flow wise- If you look into a T4 housing version it immediately drops to the same area as the T3 variant. A little FYI: STS uses P trim turbines on their base V8 kits with a 60-1 compressor. My compressor is slightly larger than their base turbo.

I didn't leave enough room in my configuration to add a T4 flange- so if I move up I'll have to modify it a little. It wont take much though.

Was just getting to ask a status here. So how's it running?

Was just getting to ask a status here. So how's it running?

running really good- I am having James tune it when I get the new turbo installed

justin146 - awesome. I bet that thing is insane off the line! I think you'll be happy with James as the tuner. He's showed me a lot of dedication. I can't say I've listened to everything he's told me but I can say I should have. ;)

Justin - Have anymore vids?

I will get videos soon. Here is my new turbo....

I have to get a 3" V-band clamp for the exhaust pipe to connect.

Attachments

• P1010152.jpg
    P1010152.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 1,158

I will get videos soon. Here is my new turbo....

I have to get a 3" V-band clamp for the exhaust pipe to connect.

Watcha doing with the old one?

Back