My turbocharged 2000 5.0 AWD.... | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My turbocharged 2000 5.0 AWD....

I just wanted to show off my DIY remote build. The truck is an AWD 2000 5.0 Explorer. - I like to think of it as an AWD SUV Mustang:) This truck actually was lifted with tube bumpers, safari rack, and 32" ATs on 20" wheels just a few months ago- it has undergone a big transformation here lately. It is now lowered slightly in the front with the rear at stock height(with sagging springs). I kept the same wheels but put smaller tires on them and added 2" spacers. Now onto the turbo...

The Turbo is a T04E 57trim which turned out to be perfect for remote mounting. It is a little small if one wanted 10psi+, but I planned on 6psi max and fast spool. I am using the stock exhaust with muffler delete to the turbo, then a 3" mandrel bent tailpipe. In the tailpipe is my AEM wideband o2 sensor. For charge pipe, I bought a 2" mandrel bent intercooler kit along with some 2" pipe from my local muffler shop. For couplers, I am using cut pieces of 2" ID radiator hose. It can be bought from Advance Auto pretty cheaply- I got one piece that was a large 90 for $13 and had some left over. I just cut it into the desired length with a bandsaw. The charge pipe goes to a 2" to 2.5" steel adapter, then into a 2.5" to 3" silicone coupler from AutoZone. This coupler feeds into my 3" BOV adapter then into the 3" mandrel bend aluminum pipe leading into the engine bay. I brought the 3" down pretty far to try and eliminate turbulence in the MAF.

I am using an STS oil pump to return the oil back to the oil filler neck. I got the pump from an STS dealer who upgraded a customers car to their high volume pump. I am using the nipple that originally had the vent hose to the intake for the oil return fitting- I am using a vented push in oil cap to make up for it. It was alot easier this way than tapping the oil cap like STS does.

I haven't had it tuned yet but it will break the tires loose from a rolling start in 1st gear(remember, I am AWD), and I have full boost almost immediately. I already have a 6psi spring for the wastegate that will go in when I put on the 30lb injectors and Cobra fuel pump.

Here are the pictures and it you have any questions just ask.

Attachments

• IM000974 (Medium).JPG
    IM000974 (Medium).JPG
    81.4 KB · Views: 9,014
  • IM000977 (Medium).JPG
    IM000977 (Medium).JPG
    79.3 KB · Views: 8,157
  • IM000989 (Large) (Medium).JPG
    IM000989 (Large) (Medium).JPG
    71.5 KB · Views: 8,139
  • IM000972 (Medium).JPG
    IM000972 (Medium).JPG
    86.5 KB · Views: 11,930

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Guys - This is nothing new (Not taking any credit from you Justin cuss you've done a great job)
QUOTE]

actually, this is probably the only 5.0 awd explorer with a turbocharger!(or the only explorer that can spin awd which im waiting for the proof:D ) and when a person makes a totally custom turbo charger that might actually be affordable for the rest of us! i call that something new

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

like I said, awesome. was just stating the facts...

actually, this is probably the only 5.0 awd explorer with a turbocharger!(or the only explorer that can spin awd which im waiting for the proof:D ) and when a person makes a totally custom turbo charger that might actually be affordable for the rest of us! i call that something new

I think I am the only V8 awd turbo Explorer- Troll's is 2wd. I am kinda scared to spin the tires like that again, I wasn't expecting it the first time. The reason I am scared is because I destroyed the TC on my Bravada spinnin' all 4 :)

Ahh, SAS or turbo. This kills.

I think I am the only V8 awd turbo Explorer- Troll's is 2wd. I am kinda scared to spin the tires like that again, I wasn't expecting it the first time. The reason I am scared is because I destroyed the TC on my Bravada spinnin' all 4 :)

Do the 4406 swap. Stronger case.

look at the size of the charge pipe, next to the exhaust, its small as crap to keep velocity up. take a hose and put a pressure nozzle on it, the same amount of water is coming up but with much higher velocity becuase of the size. same basic principle here .

for him it is fwhp beucase he is four wheel drive.

I said FWHP because he said RWHP. 350FWHP is nothing really, off the line new ford v8's all push 300FWHP. I currently push just shy of 400FWHP on my Nav. (AWD)

I said FWHP because he said RWHP. 350FWHP is nothing really, off the line new ford v8's all push 300FWHP. I currently push just shy of 400FWHP on my Nav. (AWD)

Yeah and how much does your full size nav weigh vs. an explorer?

(or the only explorer that can spin awd which im waiting for the proof:D )

Me on a 100 shot nitrous launch with stock tires would spin just a little. On a rainy day with stock tires she would do doughnuts with awd.

Where did you get your Power Master turbo? I have looked all over ebay and found cheap immitation TO4E turbos.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/T3-T...019QQitemZ290043209426QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

I mean is that worth it?

EDIT: The link below is the power master. WHOA What a price diff. Is it worth it?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MAST...hZ019QQitemZ8020680178QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD1V

Those cheaper turbos will work just fine. You can search Google and find alot of bad stuff about the SSautochrome type turbos, but from what I have heard, their stuff has greatly inproved. There was one story about one turbo who's compressor was glued together, but it seems like a hoax to me. Alot of the knock off turbos actually use Garrett internal parts(shafts, bearings, wheels) that are readily available for rebuild parts.

Wait til you see what a Garrett or Turbonetics cost :)

This is the first v-8 remote turbo That I am aware of.

There is another member who has done a very nice sohc v-6

James? Where are you?

Ding,Ding,Ding!!! Chiming in! Thanks jt for remembering me,I haven't had an opportunity to be on the forums too much lately. I have been sucessfully running a STS remote mount the last 2 years with zero probs. My truck has been in a transformation in the last 6 months and just a small idea on of the mods is 55# injectors. Testing this past weekend and careful tuning (done through my company),my shifts were being executed early(5000 rpm) it ran a 8.70. Keep in mind this was just testing some new stuff that I am doing. This coming weekend I'll raise the shifts to the correct shift points and let her rip. I am expecting low-mid 8.40's. All this still on the stock tranny with a 151K miles,stock fan and pullies @ 6psi. I am in the process of having a custom unit built(working with a aftermarket tranny builder) and after successful testing will offer this to the street guys as well as the offroad guys. What a tranny that is out of an Ex and will live?Excellent!
As far as concerns of water, I have completely changed mine with added heat/watershielding. Lag,what lag? If a turbo is setup correctly you will have minimal to no lag. My IAT's run only 6 degrees above ambient and under boost only 2 degrees above ambient as well as when the meth is in action the IAT'S will be below ambient. Any one who believes that the remote mounts don't make excellent power just hasn't seen these compressors in action. I have a friend (STS dealer)who has a remote mount on a 5.3L 2000 reg cab silverado stock engine 14 psi boost intercooled and meth injected dynos out at 510 whp and 625 lb.ft torque. He runs 7.5x's and has 181K miles on his truck. This is nothing special just an excellent setup. Alot of people don't give the remote mounts an opportunity because they are different. I was initially the same. But after taking serveral people for rides that have changed thier minds especially on the excessive lag myth.-james

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=153134 -intercooler
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=147866 -original and final pics of install. :usa:

nice work

that's super hott, i'm jealous :)

This is all very cool. I would love to do that, but I would have to run a snorkel style intake or something. I know many people have said that the filters do fine near the ground, but if they ever failed, it would be an expensive thing to fix.

Very nice work, makes me want to give it a whirl, but I will have to wait until its not my DD, there is nobody around here that could do a custom tune.

I bet the sound would be *****in if you put the filter in the cabin behind the rear seat hahahaha

I bet the sound would be *****in if you put the filter in the cabin behind the rear seat hahahaha

I dunno, it would probably get old on a long road trip. I think some kind of scoop on the roof or body side would be cool. The air box set up would hog interior space though. An F150 cone filter canister may work pretty well, but its really big. There may be enough room under the body for an air box though...

Ive really got to quit thinking about this, I don't have the money right now.

I was kidding, unless its a race truck/toy only it would get old quick
I want to use bypass shocks in the back of myBII but I think the constant clicking might drive me nuts

Those cheaper turbos will work just fine. You can search Google and find alot of bad stuff about the SSautochrome type turbos, but from what I have heard, their stuff has greatly inproved. There was one story about one turbo who's compressor was glued together, but it seems like a hoax to me. Alot of the knock off turbos actually use Garrett internal parts(shafts, bearings, wheels) that are readily available for rebuild parts.

Wait til you see what a Garrett or Turbonetics cost :)

Why didnt you use a cheaper turbo? Whats a good cheap TO4E turbo?

Why didnt you use a cheaper turbo? Whats a good cheap TO4E turbo?

My turbo was free, that is why I didn't use a cheap one. That first one you linked looks good to me, just check the feedback before you buy one. You can also look at www.ssautochrome.com , their stuff is fine for a remote install. I am using one of their wastegates right now (the Tial knockoff) because someone wanted my real Tial to match the one he had already (he is twin turbo).
You could also go to a junkyard and find a late 80's TBird turbo.

EDIT: I just looked at their website and everything is priced about double what they sell them for on eBay

Awsome, where did you get your 3/8 laser cut steel flanges from?

Also, pipe couplers are used to cover welds correct? All the pipe is welded and you used the radiator couplers over the welds?

Awsome, where did you get your 3/8 laser cut steel flanges from?

Also, pipe couplers are used to cover welds correct? All the pipe is welded and you used the radiator couplers over the welds?

There is no welding on the charge pipe, it uses just the rubber couplers. I didnt want to take the chance of getting any welding slag in my intake.

You can get the flanges off of eBay- just search for turbo flange.

Back