• Register Today It's free!

N/a To twin turbo

Jmenex

Reaction score
City, State
New york new york
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer limited
So I was wondering if I can bring the twin turbo charged system from the Sport into the N/a
Or can I make this myself ?
What would be the requirements to make this happen

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would bet its cheaper to just switch to a sport or platinum.

I bet you're looking at 10k minimum to do some type of swap or conversion. I would bet its closer to 20k.

Yup...just swap to a sport because you'll get better suspension, brakes etc. It won't be cost effective to do a conversion.

depends on what you really want to do.

I mean if you just want more power then OK sure. YOu won't want to buy the ford products though. While it will mostly fit you'll need to do some interior engine work too - your NA mill is not a direct injection fed engine. and IIRC - the ecoboost turbo mills are not a VCT motor.

so they aren't exactly the same in those regards.

now you could go out and find a wrecked sport and pull the motor from it - do a motor swap and get the ECU as well. that might be easier.

OR you could do your own kit. I would do single turbo - plumbing and new tuning map which would all be custom. If that's the road you want to go down.

To be fair it would be cheaper over all - to swap to a different model car.

OH if you do either the motor swap or the custom turbo you might want to find an upgraded transaxle also.

is your current device AWD?

Not worth the headache. Sell it and buy a Sport.

Yea I have the Awd
2014 limited
Right now what I have on this Truck
Is K&n Intake
Borla mufflers only with resonator deleted
So bout 17 to 25 HP gain with those little add ons
I'm just looking for some extra power I don't know if I should get the livernois tuner for the N/a I keep hearing bout an just call it a day an focus on the exterior of the truck..

If you are looking strickly for power gains, why not look into a SC kit?

so as far as I can see - with some google fu

there are only 3 ecoboost engines that actualy have VCT or variable Cam Timing.

the new 2.7L v6, the 2.0 and 2.3L I4. with supposedly the 1.6L having it now.

All ecoboost engines are DI (direct injection) engines such that they have different fuel pump and line requirements.

please someone show there is a different.

speculation abounds that the new 3.5 in the Ford GT and it's down played counter part in the 2017 Raptor will have VCT to go with the higher turbo pressures and potentially dual turbo as opposed to twins. IE one is not the same as the other.

that said to the OP. If you wanted to I would consider tuning it

otherwise for all the extra work - move over to a sport model

All ecoboost engines are DI (direct injection) engines such that they have different fuel pump and line requirements.

speculation abounds that the new 3.5 in the Ford GT and it's down played counter part in the 2017 Raptor will have VCT to go with the higher turbo pressures and potentially dual turbo as opposed to twins. IE one is not the same as the other.

Does anyone know what TiVCT (twin independent variable camshaft timing) is and does? Here's a video:

Most of Fords engines became TiVCT since 2010. Before, some vehicles only have DOHC (Dual over head camshafts) but they weren't variable so they had to set the camshafts somewhere between performance and efficiency. It'd be stupid not to have twin independent variable cams because then you would have only a set time when valves open and close, and you no longer adjust for either efficiency or power.

The reason the 3.5L engine that was put in the Explorer is nearly as powerful as the 4th gen's V8 is due to TiVCT. Allowing the valves to adjust allowed the Explorer to be fuel efficient and then change its timing and valves to max performance. Without it, you'd be at power levels similar to the old cologne 4.0L that yes, had more liters, but had to have camshafts that dictated opening and closing of the valves that was a compromise between efficiency and power.

The 3.5L Ecoboost has always had 4 camshafts, two on each bank. One on each bank is for exhaust valves, the other one is for intake valves, which is still TiVCT because you can only have two camshafts per bank.

4 cylinders due to being inline will only have two camshafts, still TiVCT because it's about the cams for intake and exhaust.

To finally prove my point that all the Ecoboosts have TiVCT, look at this 3.5L Ecoboost with the broken cams.
Phasers that adjusts the cams to make it TiVCT:

By the way, the aluminum bodied F-150 2015/2016 still use the 1st gen 3.5L Ecoboost so you can clearly see since this has TiVCT, the previous engines would have to have had TiVCT as well.

Like others said..just trade in for sport...will cost a TON to do the same that's stock on the sport now

They are all Ti-VCT. I'm pretty sure that's the case with all of Ford's motors by now except for the outdated cars like the E-150.

Does anyone know what TiVCT (twin independent variable camshaft timing) is and does? Here's a video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glUXDMuQ3Bs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqybhNj0l6I

Most of Fords engines became TiVCT since 2010. Before, some vehicles only have DOHC (Dual over head camshafts) but they weren't variable so they had to set the camshafts somewhere between performance and efficiency. It'd be stupid not to have twin independent variable cams because then you would have only a set time when valves open and close, and you no longer adjust for either efficiency or power.

The reason the 3.5L engine that was put in the Explorer is nearly as powerful as the 4th gen's V8 is due to TiVCT. Allowing the valves to adjust allowed the Explorer to be fuel efficient and then change its timing and valves to max performance. Without it, you'd be at power levels similar to the old cologne 4.0L that yes, had more liters, but had to have camshafts that dictated opening and closing of the valves that was a compromise between efficiency and power.

The 3.5L Ecoboost has always had 4 camshafts, two on each bank. One on each bank is for exhaust valves, the other one is for intake valves, which is still TiVCT because you can only have two camshafts per bank.

4 cylinders due to being inline will only have two camshafts, still TiVCT because it's about the cams for intake and exhaust.

To finally prove my point that all the Ecoboosts have TiVCT, look at this 3.5L Ecoboost with the broken cams.
Phasers that adjusts the cams to make it TiVCT:

https://youtu.be/LKY8UQ4z3Mo?t=99

By the way, the aluminum bodied F-150 2015/2016 still use the 1st gen 3.5L Ecoboost so you can clearly see since this has TiVCT, the previous engines would have to have had TiVCT as well.

It seems that the 3.5L Ecoboost used in FWD platforms (SHO, Explorer Sport,...etc) have i-VCT: variable cam timing on the intake only. While the RWD application (F-150, Expedition & Navigator) have Ti-VCT: Twin variable cam timing (intake & exhaust).

See this post:
http://www.taurusclub.com/forum/115...226745-2014-sho-ti-vct-i-vct.html#post2413553

Also looking at Ford's website clearly shows Ti-VCT for the 2.7L & 3.5L Ecoboost for the F-150, and the power outputs don't have a disclaimer of being tested on 93 octane premium fuel, while the 2.7L & 3.5L Ecoboost specs for the Edge/Explorer Sport (and other FWD applications) don't show the Ti-VCT and their power outputs are rated with 93 octane premium fuel.

Back