What did you do to your 5th Gen? | Page 113 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What did you do to your 5th Gen?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Nothing worth a picture 😅 amp and Sub on Friday. Sunday was front brake pads, brake bleed and new lower temp thermostat. Almost read for a tune.

Borla Exhaust and K&N Cold Air Intake

Didn’t get the downpipe installed this weekend but i did get the new black emblems on and debadge the police interceptor in the back.

D71-D391-F-D5-BA-438-C-8170-82-B37-E7286-AA.jpg

052-F5-DA9-E26-A-48-E6-8-E28-81-D991-E25-D48.jpg

Not sure if this is really the right thread, but my Explorer got a host of new fluids.

Trans, PTU and diff have about 45k miles on them. PTU and Diff got Amsoil around 60k miles when I first changed them. Coolant has never been changed.

Trans Drain/Fill- Motorcraft Mercon LV, 5qt. Brownish, but not bad.

Coolant drain/fill - Zerex Dexcool, 1 gallon, looked normal to me.

PTU - Amsoil 75W140 Severe gear, ~18oz, dark, but still very fluid. About same as when I changed the original at 60k.

Rear diff - Amsoil 75W90 Severe Gear, 1qt. Tinted, but looked fine.

While I was under there, I noticed tires are getting down there, so new treads planned before winter hits. Our local Fleet Farm has buy 3, get 1 free for Goodyear Assurance Weatherready tires. They seem to get good reviews and the price is right, so they'll likely be the next tires. I currently have Michelin Premier LTX, and while a significant improvement over the OE Hankooks, they are overpriced in my opinion.

I never understood why Ford went with the Hankooks. They have a terrible reputation. When I bought my 2015 Ex Sport, I immediately replaced then with Bridgestones. Been across the country twice and never had an issue. Very smooth ride IMHO.

I never understood why Ford went with the Hankooks. They have a terrible reputation. When I bought my 2015 Ex Sport, I immediately replaced then with Bridgestones. Been across the country twice and never had an issue. Very smooth ride IMHO.
Hankook began supplying tires to Ford back in 1999. I would imagine guess they must have fulfilled the specs Ford was looking for at the time.
Don't forget that the tires that come as OEM equipment aren't usually the company's best tires. It seems that overall, while not among the top brands, they do provide a decent tire for the price according to many reviews.

Peter

The original Hankooks that were on mine were decent for everything except snow. They lasted about 65k miles and would have easily went another summer, but I didn't trust them through another winter.

Tires on it now are Michelin Premier LTX.
They are definitely better in snow than the Hankooks and probably a bit better in the rain. The LTX were never quieter than the Hankooks, even when comparing worn Hankooks and new LTX. Now that the LTX have 40k miles on them, they are noticeably louder. And notice I stated 40k miles, they are down to the wear bars already. So much for a 60k mile tire.

I'm eyeing up the Firestone Destination LE3, mainly because they get decent reviews for the price and we're likely going to sell/trade the Ex in within the next year or 2.

I missed the Fleet Farm deal on the Goodyears.

We are in our second year of living in Henderson, Nevada. A hotter, much drier climate than the California coast. People warned us that the local environment was tough on batteries and tire rubber. Well, my venerable Michelins did start to crack and dry out (after 3.5 years) and my battery was already past it's expected life span so I replaced both. I put larger tires on (Goodyear Eagles, 255/60/R18), and bought Interstate MTZ-65 battery (glass mat AGM, 770 CCA).

I installed a Motorola HAM/GMRS mobile radio and had a hole drilled in the roof and added a discreet Laird "Phantom" antenna.

Going in for 100k service tomorrow.

IMG_20210917_164052287_HDR.jpg IMG_20210921_133614410.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20210917_164052287_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20210917_164052287_HDR.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 107

One step closer to hauling 10k tow haul button installed and fully functional.

Next step engine oil cooler.

Also can anyone provide PTU drilling measurements for a unit without one?
Yes I have tried the search function but I must be doing it wrong because I’m not finding anything but completed photos

10k tow haul button??

My Ex got a brake fluid flush yesterday and new tires today.
Figured brake fluid was due after 7.5 years and 106k miles.

I went with Firestone Destination LE3. They were $190 per tire and get decent reviews. Plus, $80 visa card coming back.

Initial impressions is that they seem similar to the Michelin Premier LTX that I had on it. Quieter for sure, but that's comparing a worn tire to a new one. I think the LE3s transmit the small bumps/cracks a little more, but I need to double check tire pressure tomorrow morning. Paperwork stated 37psi. We'll see how they do in rain, cold, snow in coming months.

Well we ended up trading the Ex(Needing more space for 3 growing kids, been a great family hauler for the last few years and left good vibes towards owning another Ford Product :)

So what did we replace it with? 2021 GMC Yukon SLT 4X4.

We looked at several Full-size SUVs, I really wanted the Expedition Stealth Edition I just love the look and the only thing I was not crazy about was the dash layout looked rather dated.

Looked at the Navigator, a bit more than I wanted to spend and honestly a bit too nice for 3 kids to be jumping around in :D

Looked a Tahoe RST's and Yukon AT4s as we wanted the black-out look, not easy to find, and many dealers wanting 10k over sticker...:(

I finally found an Expedition in pearl white with the Stealth, went and drove and the wife vetoed it....all because she hated the dial shifter:rolleyes:

At that point I kinda gave up as finding anything right now is next to impossible, then we happened to be in the city and drove by their local GMC dealer and they had 4 Yukons on the lot:oops: so we took a look as they had a white one(wifes preferred color) and we ended up with the Red one🧐

Anyhow what a chore to find a vehicle nowadays.

The Yukon is just fancy version of the Suburban. Standard AC etc.. if it has the 5.3L that will treat you well. I have a GMC sierra with the 4.8 and it is super reliable even with mods.

The Expedition with the 3.5 TT is also a beast. Rented one in Durango over the summer with the 10 speed. It moved pretty good.

The Yukon is just fancy version of the Suburban. Standard AC etc.. if it has the 5.3L that will treat you well. I have a GMC sierra with the 4.8 and it is super reliable even with mods.

The Expedition with the 3.5 TT is also a beast. Rented one in Durango over the summer with the 10 speed. It moved pretty good.
Yeah ours has the 5.3, though I am hearing some reports that newer ones with new cyl deactivation system are having lifter and push rode failures, so who knows.

I was very happy with the 3.5 TT in the Expedition, smooth power :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I wouldn't buy into that hype. They put these engines in everything so its easy to find "problems" posted everywhere.

I have a 2002 so its the first gen LR4 Vortec 4.8 with Aluminum heads. When I bought the truck I heard same exact things.. "could throw a valve at any moment". Change the oil every 3k and its been fine. Ive owned this truck over 10 years and only issue I have is rust.

I would go on the LS forums and figure out how to disable the cylinder deactivation stuff (may need OBD2 module) and open up the intake/exhaust with CAI and cat-back. These engines cant breath from the factory. Plus it will sound good.

Back