What did you do to your 5th Gen? | Page 116 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What did you do to your 5th Gen?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I forgot that I also swapped the yellow/orange OEM puddle lights for some that are brighter.

Puddle light.jpg

Changed the oil, radiator coolant, transmission, PTU and RDU fluids, and got the toe link recall completed on my recently purchased 2016 Explorer Limited this week.

Tthmz94.jpg

I also ordered LED replacements for the puddle lamp, license plate lamp, and fog lamp bulbs and will be buying the OEM 2nd row console to go with the two separate bucket seats next week (after payday). 😜

e6IKJOM.jpg

I wasn't aware they were available as a complete unit. Do happen to have the part number?

Peter

The console is received and installed.

8exOB3N.jpg

WEFcJCz.jpg

L4Q3Jri.jpg

IDWOqFI.jpg

Also put on crossbars for my roof rack.

hK4hAhN.jpg
L4Q3Jri.jpg

I wasn't aware they were available as a complete unit. Do happen to have the part number?

Peter
My bad. Although you did mention 'rear' console, for some reason my mind kept thinking 'front' console. :banghead:
Looks good.:thumbsup:

Peter

Wired in a switch in the liftgate and some LED nights, next I’m retrofitting Sync Connect in to the rear wiring harness. I've already installed the LTE antenna.

View attachment 425242 View attachment 425243 View attachment 425244 View attachment 425245 View attachment 425246 View attachment 425247 View attachment 425248
I’d be interested in hearing more about retrofitting sync connect. I have a 2017 XLT that I want to retrofit. Did you have factory mount location for the TCU? Were the wiring harnesses there? Did you have to order or make any additional harnesses?

Installed new KYB rear struts (temporary) two days ago, while I wait for all the bilsteins to get here in the next 2 months. Also FINALLY ordered the H&R lowering springs too. Also doing my first spark plug change with the nice Iridiums. Has 95K miles and still haven't changed the plugs. LOL

Installed new KYB rear struts (temporary) two days ago, while I wait for all the bilsteins to get here in the next 2 months. Also FINALLY ordered the H&R lowering springs too. Also doing my first spark plug change with the nice Iridiums. Has 95K miles and still haven't changed the plugs. LOL
Willing to see pics of how it come out. Thinking to do the same combination of Springs and Shocks for my Limited.

Willing to see pics of how it come out. Thinking to do the same combination of Springs and Shocks for my Limited.
Ok, but with the supply chain issues, For the bilsteins... I have one front left shock that came quick. The front right will come in a month, and the rears in two months. lol So In a couple months I'll try to remember to take some pics etc. The KYB's feel good, so I think anyone wanting just an OEM replacement with a softer ride would be happy. Was able to get the KYB's for only 60 some bucks each so it is a cheap replacement for the rears on a budget.

Ok, but with the supply chain issues, For the bilsteins... I have one front left shock that came quick. The front right will come in a month, and the rears in two months. lol So In a couple months I'll try to remember to take some pics etc. The KYB's feel good, so I think anyone wanting just an OEM replacement with a softer ride would be happy. Was able to get the KYB's for only 60 some bucks each so it is a cheap replacement for the rears on a budget.
Thanks. I will remind you. Jajajajajaj

Oh yeah, I also a while back took off my EXPLORER letters on the hood and made "BIG MONEY" (my business) as close to font and slant as I could and 3d printed it (PLA for testing, then had external 3d printer do it in ABS since PLA will absolutely not survive direct sunlight and will soften and bend). That's on my hood in the profile pic.

Not really a mod, but did a tire rotation on my 14 Sport last weekend.
While I was in there, I checked the brakes.
110K miles on the beast.

Front brakes are original and still have a good amount of pad left. Rotors are all rusty, but still smooth braking. I'd guess it's probably another 20k-30k miles before front brakes need to be changed.
Rear brakes were changed at around 70k miles and still look good.

Not sure if we'll own the car long enough to ever replace the front brakes, but I'm estimating the original fronts will wear out about the time the 2nd set of rears are needed.

Front brakes are original and still have a good amount of pad left. Rotors are all rusty, but still smooth braking.
Are you sure the front calipers are working? The fronts should wear faster than the rears. If the rotors are rusty, the pads might not be contacting them.

Are you sure the front calipers are working? The fronts should wear faster than the rears. If the rotors are rusty, the pads might not be contacting them.

These days, its not uncommon for rears to wear faster than front. My old Mazda was the same (about 2x rear to 1 front).

As for rust on rotors, the pad surface is clean, just everything around it is rusty (like the vanes). They are 8 years old and have survived 7 MN winters (lots of salt).

These days, its not uncommon for rears to wear faster than front.
Good to know. Every car I've ever owned the fronts wore out much faster than the rears. Even then I would get 70K+ miles out of them. the rears rarely got changed. So I guess I'll have to reverse my maintenance checks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Good to know. Every car I've ever owned the fronts wore out much faster than the rears. Even then I would get 70K+ miles out of them. the rears rarely got changed. So I guess I'll have to reverse my maintenance checks.

I can confirm. Got an oil change at the dealership about 4 months ago and while the front brakes were fine, the rear pads needed changing right away. I'm at about 62K and haven't touched the brakes since I bought it at 45K

Back