Neons | Page 10 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Neons

I want to put Blue Neons under my '92. I have a few questions....

How many do I need? I was thinking 2. Is there a particular place they go?

Is there a common place to put switches in the 91-94s? Where do the wires go, and how do I put in the switches?

Lastly, what kind should I buy?

MATT

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Matt - :( I didn't get them today sadly... I did, however, instal two more neons. One 15" I-Glow Series (end caps are green) Green neon, and a license plate (purple) neon behind my trunks grill. Here are some pics of them.

You can see the purple behind the speaker grill -
Dead Link Removed

Can see the 15" green neon -
Dead Link Removed

Dead Link Removed

As for the pictures of the instal, i'll get them up later today bro!!

Carl

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

I LOVE YOUR TRUCK!!! Can you say sickness????????????

good god thats pimp. do you drive with those interior neons on? I like the idea of lighting up my cabin wth some in the ceiling, but I dont want the tubes visible, hows that work?

btw, whast that orange stripe bet. your grille and bumper?

I NEED TO BORROW YOUR CAMERA, MINE SUCKS :)

Hey have any of you guys used the black light neons and are they pretty cool or what. Do you prefer the colors over black light?

I know laws differ everywhere, but what are the usual laws regarding having red neons, inside outside, etc..

thanks a lot

around here the law isn't color specific.. as long as the tubes aren't visible, and nothing flashes or strobes.. its all good

black lights would be interesting for the interior, but a blacklight tube hurts yer eyes, so the tube would have to not be vsible, that would be hard to do, but would give you good results, they don't make a blacklight exterior neon at the moment cos the tubes aren't weatherproof

the street glow blacklight neons claim that they put off no visible light but other stuff will glow just like under a normal blacklight. that would look crazy its like whenever your driving people will think you spent too much time standing in front of a microwave or somethin

Thanks for the props people.

DarkFox - The red stripe thing (knight rider light) is between my bumper and grill. Theres a space JUST wide enough to stuff it in there :)

As for mounting tubes on your celing and such...you really can't see them from the outside TO bad...i sometimes drive with the interior lights on....but its kidna risky, csaue its illegal here, and its REALLY obvious to spot my car with the entire inside is lit up, and the entire underside is :)

My car lights up like my entire block at night now :) hehe

Carl

Originally posted by doktorstoj
Hey have any of you guys used the black light neons and are they pretty cool or what. Do you prefer the colors over black light?

I know laws differ everywhere, but what are the usual laws regarding having red neons, inside outside, etc..

thanks a lot

I have been wanting to do the black light thing inside but cant think of where to put them. Like Darkfox said, they hurt your eyes so you're not gonna want to see the bulb. But then again if you put them under your dash, all its gonna light up is your shoes...I just ordered some blues for the interior tho, hope they come this week.

As for the red lights, those are the most controversial (next being blue) because they are an "emergency" color. Do you know a cop that you can ask? Either way, check out the law book in your local library, it'll be able to tell you what you can and can't do.

Originally posted by FitzMatt

As for the red lights, those are the most controversial (next being blue) because they are an "emergency" color. Do you know a cop that you can ask? Either way, check out the law book in your local library, it'll be able to tell you what you can and can't do.

whoa, matt, is some of my lawieness rubbing off on you :)

Ok..i finally got SOME of my neons.

Bad news though ( i am pissed!)

one out of the three transformers i bought (3 sets of mini headlight neons) is busted.

One green headlight neon is busted.

I was given 2 clear accent strobes for free...one of them busted.

My 12" green wheel well neons still have not come.

I am kinda pissed off...tomorow morning, bright and early i will call up SG and get that shiz replaced.

I did get one set of mini's in the vents, heres the pic. Sorry its so big.

Dead Link Removed

Carl

(Matt, i'll get some of those instilation pics for you tomorow!!)

sw00t!! thats a must! howd ya do that? 3" minis? sorry to hear about your broken transformers and stuff.. but hey.. at least you haven't had 2 rear tubes broken cos your dealership WONT LISTEN! :)

I bet yer truck is phat as hell to see in person, you should make a video or somethin dude, I'd sit through a DL :) even if I am cable heh, thats not the point

ingenious idea!!!!!!!!

how did you wire those lights?

is it hard to get the vents open?

Supposedly my order shipped yesterday, I'm hoping for it to be here Friday at the latest. Sorry to hear about your bad experience Carl, do you have to call SG or BNL.com?? Vents look pimpin!!

DarkFox - I actually used headlight neons. They are like 2 inches rather than 3 inches. They just fit perfectly in between those two back vents.

Doktorstoi - What i had to do in order to wire in those headlight neons, was take the back "tray" (cup holder) off (requires removing 4 screws)...then i took off the top part of center console - the cover (requires two bolts to be undone) Then after the top part is off, there are two screws that are reveled at the top where the vents are, but kind behind them (lets say your in the front of the car facing the back seats...there are 2 screws right were the vents start (kinda below them).

Then i had to unscrew the ac/heat/radio thingy attached to it (four screws) then the actual black vent that comes up from the floor (2 screws). I then hid the mini transformer in a space in the center console and ran the wires up the black vent, and had them stick out of it. I then taped the mini neons to the vents and connected the wires to them, and re-installed the center console and such. Worked like a charm!

Matt - I ordered from BNL.com...but its not their fault...they didnt ceomt broken from the place...they mysteriously just were messed up (not Ryans fault)

Carl

sounds like a chore.. I must say I love the look, but taking my mounty to the frame to put neons in isn't a high priority hehe

CARL's TRUCK IS TIGHT!!!!!!!

I can't believe how long this thread is! Hey BMXboy didn't i tell you about this site on a post on the streetglow site? I recognize your truck from that forum.

Steve

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: Hey don't I get another baby Explorer for my 250th post??????????? I think so but I'm not sure, hope this is it!!!!! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

weird :p hehe, ya this is quite a long post isn't it? but thats alright with me.. just don' read from the beginning.. you'll fall asleep hehe

Guys, this now has over 1800 views and now we're at 198 posts!!

The neons should be here on Monday cuz they didn't show up today...

Back