Neons | Page 11 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Neons

I want to put Blue Neons under my '92. I have a few questions....

How many do I need? I was thinking 2. Is there a particular place they go?

Is there a common place to put switches in the 91-94s? Where do the wires go, and how do I put in the switches?

Lastly, what kind should I buy?

MATT

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

hehe, probablly so many views cos people wanna know why this post has so many replies.. I've done that before, but as of late I've avoided long posts cos don't want to read all of it

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

MY LIGHTS CAME IN TODAY!!! Ahem Ahem....MY LIGHTS CAME IN TODAY!! (except for the blue headlight strobes...of course EVERYTHING can't come at the same time buy hey, what are you gonna do?)

Ok guys here come the questions...

As you know I already have the blue underbody kit. I would like to use the switch that came with the kit to also control my 2 license plate frames and the 4 9" tubes. Theoretically it should work, its just a switch. But my dad said there was something weird about the switch that he couldn't figure out (he's an EE). So can I use that switch or am I gonna have to buy another one?

Well I'm gonna go get that 30" in the grille and hopefully get some pictures tonight. BTW, that tube fits like a glove!! It's already in there very snug w/out any drilling yet, I think I might even get away with just using some heavy duty tape as back-up...

Matt

glad to hear SOMEONE gets what they order.. I've been waiting since tuesday for something I won off of ebay, nothing yet.. its driving me CRAZY!! I hate shipping companies.. all of them flat out suck.

I don't like those switches either, they are flimsy looking. If I were you I'd find a place to mount some lighted LED rockers and wire em all up there (like I did, check my site if ya want) I know yer not a 95 or up so you don't have that console, but how about the space where the ash tray is? I've been told its about the size of a single din HU in your model?

if I were you I'd use zipties to secure that grill neon MUST HAVE A PICTURE MAN! CAN'T WAIT! I still haven't put that idea out of my head.

Matt - Heres a link to an album where i Uploaded some pics for my instilation.

Good Lord, how do you post albums hosted by FotoTime.com???

Heres what you do then...go to www.fototime.com and go to Guest Log in..and type in bmxboy@gateway.net

The pics are under NEON PICS

Carl

Dead Link Removed

click to make the pix full page and highlight the url.
click Edit and click copy.
go to thread you want it inserted and [ ] the word img thebegining than go to Edit and click paste and [ ] the word /img at the end.

Probably some better way but this works....

The blue headlight strobes came in today!! Now where do you guys think I should put them...in the turn signals or the headlights? and in the reverse light housing or the brake light housing??

Oh and Carl, DUDE HOW DOES YOUR 30" IN THE GRILLE LOOK SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO DAMN GOOD MAN??! Where did you mount it cuz I mounted mine at the top of the grille, closest to the front of the truck and there's no way I get the same glow you have! Tell me your secret bro, and also tell me where I should put those headlight strobes.

Thanks guys.

in the headlight and the reverse lights!!!!!

brake light housing, if you have clears, reverse if you dont, headlights for the front ones

Neons mounted in visors

What would be the best size neon to put up in the visors? I was thinking the 3" ultra mini's. What do you all think?

Steve

visors? like in the mirorr lights? or normal? for the lights I'd use 3" minis, but hotwirez may be easier to work with

Nobody votes for the turn signals? Remember they are clear, not the stock orange...does that make a difference or do you still think I should put them in the headlight housing? And its pretty much decided that I have to use the reverse because the brake lens is red.

As for those visors MrSteve, 3", 5", 6", and 9" are all $35. IMO, I would just get the 9"! I have 2 temporary 9"s up in the front and I put one of them up between the two visors, just that one lights everything up pretty well. Not for long though, both of them will be under the dash in a couple days. Hope that helps a bit.

I still say headlights.. or what you could do.. is put 1 set in the headlights and 1 set in the turn signals and forget the rear.. IMO, a stock lense with a blue light in the reverse would look kinda silly, sorry, just my 25 cents :p

But then again 4 in the front would look kinda much, maybe if there were two colors instead of one...

I think that if they look crappy in the reverse then I'll find somewhere inside to put them.

So the consensus is headlights??

Matt - I say headlights, and reverse lights for the strobes.

As for mounting the neon...i have a 96 remember..the grill is different from yours.

I mounted my neon in the MIDDLE of my grill...so the glow goes all around. I do not know if this is possible with the older explorer modles...let me know

Carl

(i was in Cali for a few days!!...thats why i didn't repsond sooner)

Yeah dude I haven't even put the strobes in because I've been waiting for your response!! I got everyone else's, but was wondering when you were gonna respond. Well its basically unanimous that I put them in the headlights and reverse lights, so I will!:)

Dude I had to mount mine at the TOP of the grille. I wouldn't be as dissatisfied if I hadn't seen your picture!! Man that grille looks good, love it! Oh yeah guys, my grille neon looks dim!! I think that is part of why it isn't very bright (along with the location), do you think this is just a connection problem? I connected them all with the tubing...

I put the license plate frames on a while back, they are way too bright though!! I think I am gonna turn them around or just put the license plate frame in front of the license plate. Which way did you do yours Carl?

Oh and I got pulled over 2 nights ago for the lights...I'll tell ya guys bout that one later!

maybe you can put some kind of shiny reflector over the top of the neon.. give it more direction? just a thought..

bmx I didn't know yers was in the middle.. no wonder it looks so good, unfortunatley, I cannot do that

Why can't you put it in the middle? Don't you and Carl have the same truck, 95-97?? Maybe some tinfoil would work, I will play with it tonight...

I don't have a large bar across the center of my grille like that.. a neon in the center would surley be visible from the front of my truck

Matt - YAH!! THose license plate frames are BRIGHT AS HELL!!!!! I was very impressed witht the light output from these neons!

As for your grill neon not being as bright...is it less bright that your other neon tubes? (other underbody kit neons).

If so, check all connections, and make sure its not defective.

Carl

Back