New with a suspension problem.

cadaver

Reaction score
City, State
tampa, florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 Aerostar
Hello
I just bought a 91 aerostar a couple days ago. Its got a 3.0, auto, 53 or 153k miles. Needs bumpers (they're both pretty well gone). Overall, its in good shape though.

The only real problem i have with it is there is something wrong with the suspension/steering. When i turn, go over a speed bump slowly, even stopping, there is a clunk noise. Sometimes i can feel it near my feet, and it is pretty loud. I know the tie rod ends have been replaced, and the sway bar bushings are new. Any ideas on what it could be?

I only paid $250 for it, so i expected problems, but other than this, the van seems to do really good, i've driven it probably 45-50 miles already.

Thanks in advance

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The upper control arm bushings are the most likely culprit. They are not easy to replace. Autozone sells the bushings without having the buy the entire arm with the ball joint. Sometimes a coil spring could break too.

I was thinking along the same lines. Do you think it could be the upper ball joints?

Hah! I had the same type of issue when I first got Gulliver('89 Aerostar)! Turns out the bolt on the sway bar had all fallen out! Not bolts, no bumpers, no nuts...nothing. It was just hanging out under there. The bar had been jammed up on top of the lower control arm foe who knows how long. You mentioned the sway bar, I assume you did not do the work yourself, so have you visually inspected the sway bar?

No i did not do the work myself, but both sway bar bolts are there, and tight.

I'm really thinking its the upper ball joints.

Well today i drove to my grandmother's, which is about 25 miles awa and the van was fine other than the occasional clunking. But on the way back, sometimes it would vibrate the crap out of the steering wheel at around 35, and felt like something had broke. When i pressed the brake, the car would pull to the left pretty hard. Luckily i did make it home though. It smelled like something was burning when i got back, and there was a little smoke.

help?

Well i think i've come to the conclusion that the problem is the upper control arm bushings. I got some new ones, and plan to put them in tomorrow.

Has anyone done this before? About how long does it take? Any tips that could help me out?

Back