NOTAJP goes solid 1st gen. leaves | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

NOTAJP goes solid 1st gen. leaves

Time to join the club. It took me almost two months to complete my project due to lag time of receiving parts, receiving the wrong parts, spending many hours at work (still at war) and tools breaking down. All were under warrenty but still... If it could go wrong, it did. Something always goes wrong with any project. I have built many rigs in the past but this SAS was the worst of my luck. Once everything was here the project went very well. So far this thing drives, tracks, and feels great. Tomorrow hopefully I'll get it out on the highway.
Here's some of the hi-lights:

Rear axle:
8.8 with 4.56 grears and Detroit locker
SOA with AAL and Rancho RS9154 shocks
ProCompStainless steel brake lines
Comming soon: Disc brakes, OME 2" springs

Front axle:
Moved forward two inches.
Dana 30 HP with 4.56 grears, open carrier
Posi-lock cable axle disconnect
SOA with Rubicon Express 1.5" leaf springs, Bomerang shackles, F250 shock towers, and RS9012 shocks.
M.O.R.E. hi-steer cross over steering with heim joints
Rancho Steering stabilizer
ProComp Stainless steel brakes lines moved for more axle drop
Comming soon: Warn alloy shafts and hubs, ARB or Ox locker

Body:
Unlimited Products fiberglass cowl induction hood
Hannamen front fiberglass fenders
Baja Concepts rear fiberglass fenders
James Duff pre-runner winch bumper, Warn XD9000i winch
Comming soon: fiberglass rollpan, CRL customs rear bumper, and paint!

Interior:
JVC EL Calmelion Head Unit, Pioneer three ways up front and two ways in the rear
Uniden Classic CB
Flame gauges

Drivetrain:
stock 4.0L, 5 speed, BW 1354 all with 150k miles, one new clutch @ 100k
KKM True Rev Intake, Helix throttle body spacer, Jacobs Ignition and wires
200amp alternator, Optima Battery
17x10 American Racing Atlas polished wheels
315/70R17 (35x12.50R17) BFG All-Terrain tires. They measure a true 35" tall!
Comming soon: Center Force Duel Friction clutch, Custom front and rear driveshafts

All work was accomplished by myself

Who says you can't flex out leaf springs. I have 12.5" of wheel travel. You can see it in the pics. I started measuring for shocks on a 19* ramp. That wasn't enough (the rear tires came up the ramp before the front stoped flexing :eek:)so I used a fork lift.If I were to change anything, (and I will) I'll change the rear spring hangers. That is my binding point with the shackles. I could get a lot more flex out of those springs with different shackles and mounts. Then the price of 14" travel shocks more than tripple! maybe later...;)

You can check out some of the SAS build up pics in my gallery. Here's a few for starters:

Front spring hangers:
15272left_front_hanger.jpg

Rear spring hangers:
15272rear_hangers.jpg

Steering and axle:
15272steering__finished_and_painted.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey Kurt, how have you been? I went to Tennessee for a short time and 'other' places too. Always love traveling the world.

cdsl227, how's your progress going? Can't wait to see that thing solid! I haven't slowed down since my last email but I promise to give you a good write up for the axle placement. Those are F250 shock towers. Ford part#E5TZ 18183A. These are the ones with the two large 1/2" holes. '92- F250s had the four smaller bolt holes. I guess it's up to personal preference as both are the same height. I only wished I could get a 14" travel shock for the price of the RS9000s as the 9012s are limiting my travel...not that I'm really complaining with 12" of wheel travel now. After I save my pennies I will get some bypass long travel shocks.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Thanks! I'm going to be putting in the gearset and setting it up next week, I've got the knuckles painted, new ball joints and they're on the axle- I had one concern though...probably not going to have any impact, but leaving out the backing plates- I know it's only a small difference in the amount that the spindle is going to travel back, question is that small amount isn't going to have any ill effect on the axle/locking hubs in terms of the axle shaft actually being that one hair off because the backing plates are out? I doubt it, but the way it's all put together with such strict tolerances...I'm just looking things over as they go back together.

If you are refering to the splash guards, which I believe you are, then there's no worry. I haven't put splash guards on axles for years. I usually end up bending the heck out of them before long. The design was to keep rocks, dirt, and water away from the rotors. I haven't seen a rotor warp from a splash in the mud puddle yet.

Thanks! I was tempted to order them from JBG...

Welcome home buddy! Now it's time for some real pictures!

I don't run splash guards either.

Thanks Josh! Now if I can just get some time to go wheel the thing. The bigest thing that sucks is now it's too cold to work the fiberglass.

Ah, you can still wheel without the fiber glass! haha

We still have to see which setup flexes the best, coils or leafs!

The fiberglass is on the body, I just need to finish 'glueing' it on and preping for paint.

I think the war between coils/leafs/coil-overs is very close. If you looks at yours (JoshC), lizardtrac, Jefe, and mine you will see the flex is all within an inch or two. I think Tom's Navajo is the most insane stuffing 37s but I think even he beat Jefe in the budget war.

I know Lizardtrac and myself are very happy with the flex, durability, and ability to drive 85 mph with the leaf springs.

:( Driveshafts won't be done until at least tomorrow. Oh well.

Yeah i'm interested to see some numbers myself. Lizards looks like so much more cause he has a 3" body lift.

Let me know what numbers you would like and I'll post them. I did measure 12" of travel, 6" up, and 6" down only limited to the shocks for now.

never mind i just found them.

thanks

I have some updated pics that I'll get uploaded tonight or tomorrow.

Sorry for the delay with pics. My cam has been acting up again.

I have had several questions via PM and email from many different members. Please continue your questions, I never mind working with other Exploders. I thought I would post some info that I have worked up in my head about the different types of suspension, cost comparison, and some reasons why I chose a leaf spring suspension for myself and a few rigs that I will be working on vs others.

Here's a scenario just for instance of considering a SAS vs. the Superlift starting from a stock Explorer.

There are many ways to perform a solid axle swap. Prob the easiest is the Early Bronco setup (EB). The first Bronco Ford built was produced from 1966 through 1977. The early years had a Dana 30 front axle with drum brakes. They later produced the best Broncos in 75-77 with a Dana 44 axle and disc brakes. The EB is about the same track width as an Explorer and has coil springs and radius arms.

Another possible suspension is using a four link and coil-over springs. The four link is just that. There are four bars that connect from the frame to the axle to position the axle. The coil-over is a shock that has a coil spring mounted to its exterior. This will produce massive amounts of suspension travel but at a very high cost. A four link can also be built with just coil springs and external shocks.

The simplest, tried and true method of suspension building is the leaf spring. This has been used since the dawn of the automobile. Jeeps have been using this for years. Leaf springs require the least amount of engineering and have been perfected over the decades. This is not a novice act by any means and can be screwed up seriously if not done right.

Lift Kit: $700 Superlift 5.5"
Super runner radius arms: $200 with purchase of lift kit
Super runner steering: $340
Drop pitman arm: $50
Shocks: $120-300, depending on quality
Rear spring perches: $30
Rear shock mounts: $15
Extended brake lines: $90
Rear AAL: $60
Extend rear driveshaft: $80
Re-gear front and rear plus labor: $1000+
Labor to install lift kit complete: $900
Alignment: $50
Total guess: $3635 plus shipping and tax

How I would do another SAS:
Front:
Axle: $200-300
Spring perches: $30
Shock mounts: $15
U-bolts: $30
Leaf Springs: $250
Shackles: $30
Spring hangers: $150
Extended brake lines front and rear: $90
Extended driveshaft: $80
Shocks: $180 for the best, $60 for average
Shock mounts: $35
Drop pitman arm: $50
Custom steering: $500 (must have)
Front gears and install kit: $250
Rear:
Spring perches: $30
Shock mounts: $15
AAL: $50
Shocks: $180 for the best, $60 for average
Rear gears and install kit: $250
Total investment $2515 (could be less depending on parts)

Yeah its me.......NOTAJP(Kent) came down to Twin today to hang out and ramp his Explorer. Heres a few pics to get ya goin. I'm sure Kent will add more when he gets home tonight. :)

Attachments

• derricks 050.jpg
    derricks 050.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 528
  • derricks 055.jpg
    derricks 055.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 542
  • derricks 053.jpg
    derricks 053.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 524

Now tell me leafs don't flex!!!!!!! :thumbsup: :cool:

That's what I like to see :D :bounce:

Looks great Kent, glad all your hard work payed off! Now we need to see dirt!

Thanks Derrick! We had a good time though I've got to go back soon. There's so many other things I forgot to measure and check out more in depth. I'm satisified with how it turned out, there's always more. Both front and rear could get a few more inches of flex if I tweaked on it a little.

I am happy to report that the suspension is pretty balanced right as it sits. I've got 18" of wheel travel front and rear. I'll have the ramp measurements up tomorrow when my brain starts working again along with some others.

Thanks guys for the compliments. It's been a long year (for work) since I started this project and it feels good to get back into it. Josh, you don't know how bad I want to get in the dirt, and finish this darn fiberglass!

Heath said:
Well damn it, maybe I'll be able to join you guys for something later this year...

Heath, I heard rumors you might be comming up this direction. That would be great. Three SAS Exploders in Idaho. Look out world.
*keep your women and children inside*

Back