NOTAJP goes solid 1st gen. leaves | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

NOTAJP goes solid 1st gen. leaves

Time to join the club. It took me almost two months to complete my project due to lag time of receiving parts, receiving the wrong parts, spending many hours at work (still at war) and tools breaking down. All were under warrenty but still... If it could go wrong, it did. Something always goes wrong with any project. I have built many rigs in the past but this SAS was the worst of my luck. Once everything was here the project went very well. So far this thing drives, tracks, and feels great. Tomorrow hopefully I'll get it out on the highway.
Here's some of the hi-lights:

Rear axle:
8.8 with 4.56 grears and Detroit locker
SOA with AAL and Rancho RS9154 shocks
ProCompStainless steel brake lines
Comming soon: Disc brakes, OME 2" springs

Front axle:
Moved forward two inches.
Dana 30 HP with 4.56 grears, open carrier
Posi-lock cable axle disconnect
SOA with Rubicon Express 1.5" leaf springs, Bomerang shackles, F250 shock towers, and RS9012 shocks.
M.O.R.E. hi-steer cross over steering with heim joints
Rancho Steering stabilizer
ProComp Stainless steel brakes lines moved for more axle drop
Comming soon: Warn alloy shafts and hubs, ARB or Ox locker

Body:
Unlimited Products fiberglass cowl induction hood
Hannamen front fiberglass fenders
Baja Concepts rear fiberglass fenders
James Duff pre-runner winch bumper, Warn XD9000i winch
Comming soon: fiberglass rollpan, CRL customs rear bumper, and paint!

Interior:
JVC EL Calmelion Head Unit, Pioneer three ways up front and two ways in the rear
Uniden Classic CB
Flame gauges

Drivetrain:
stock 4.0L, 5 speed, BW 1354 all with 150k miles, one new clutch @ 100k
KKM True Rev Intake, Helix throttle body spacer, Jacobs Ignition and wires
200amp alternator, Optima Battery
17x10 American Racing Atlas polished wheels
315/70R17 (35x12.50R17) BFG All-Terrain tires. They measure a true 35" tall!
Comming soon: Center Force Duel Friction clutch, Custom front and rear driveshafts

All work was accomplished by myself

Who says you can't flex out leaf springs. I have 12.5" of wheel travel. You can see it in the pics. I started measuring for shocks on a 19* ramp. That wasn't enough (the rear tires came up the ramp before the front stoped flexing :eek:)so I used a fork lift.If I were to change anything, (and I will) I'll change the rear spring hangers. That is my binding point with the shackles. I could get a lot more flex out of those springs with different shackles and mounts. Then the price of 14" travel shocks more than tripple! maybe later...;)

You can check out some of the SAS build up pics in my gallery. Here's a few for starters:

Front spring hangers:
15272left_front_hanger.jpg

Rear spring hangers:
15272rear_hangers.jpg

Steering and axle:
15272steering__finished_and_painted.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So does any one else have some pics of their rig to show us all? And maybe some helpful rig set up tips for the beginner and the pro's?

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Originally posted by divinesoul777
So does any one else have some pics of their rig to show us all? And maybe some helpful rig set up tips for the beginner and the pro's?
Pics of what exactly? SAS setups? Look through the rest of the Solid Axle Registry and you will see lots of pics of SASs.

Here's some better pictures of the brackets I made:

Rear spring hanger

Attachments

• 015_12a.jpg
    015_12a.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 738

Front spring hanger:

Attachments

• front spring hanger.jpg
    front spring hanger.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 722

Left front spring hanger

Attachments

• left front spring hanger.jpg
    left front spring hanger.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 722

Left side brake line relocation

Attachments

• left brake line relocation.jpg
    left brake line relocation.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 712

right side brake line relocation:

Attachments

• right side brake line relocation.jpg
    right side brake line relocation.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 695

Shock tower:

Attachments

• shock tower.jpg
    shock tower.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 707

Just had a guy stop by today that insists that I sell him my Exploder. Both guys that stopped by had explorers but all stock. One was a young kid with a 2001 and wanted to mod it so I sent him to the forum. The other guy still insists I sell him my X. He wants a rig he can go anywhere in, haul the kids and dogs, and still drive to work everyday but doesn't have the time or place to build anything. We didn't get down to numbers because I don't want to sell. She's almost done.

But having someone bust you're chops to sell it is very flattering though isn't it! ;)

Hell find out how much you can profit from it then decide if it's worth just building them up to sell, after the first it's gotta get easier! :D

Yes it was quite flattering that someone would like the X that much even before paint. My wife and I were just discussing numbers but she warned that she would kill me if I sold this one. I was curious just how much he was willing to pay though. I don't think I could 'profit' over this one. I've got a lot invested already. I did offer to build him one. I've been looking for another Explorer/Ranger/Bronco II to play with next year. I'd like to finish this one first.

Yeah, yeah, yeah......yada yada yada......Blah blah blah.....your so cool Kent!!!:D ;)

Originally posted by Derrick C.
Yeah, yeah, yeah......yada yada yada......Blah blah blah.....your so cool Kent!!!:D ;)

Kiss my
censored.gif
ass!;)

hehehehe...Oh...Can ya feel the love in here???:D

I can feel the love. :D Thanks for jacking up my thread. What was this about anyway? ;)

I'm trying to cut down the trial and error ratio so I'm gathering methods for positioning the axle.

How'd you measure to get your axle where you wanted it?

And, when you fabbed the hangers was height taken into account?

Thanks!

where are the wheeling pics?!

looks great man!:eek:

Hey y'all. NOTAJPs back in the house. Did ya miss me? It's been a crazy year for me. I'm finally back at home station (for now). Glad to be back to work on the Exploder but now it's too cold to work on the fiberglass:mad: .

Driveshafts will be done Monday!:bounce: :bounce:

cdsl227: I'm sorry I couldn't get back to you sooner. I'll think of a good way to explain all the measurements. The ride height was an educated guess that I could compensate with springs if needed to be. The chances that it all worked perfectly the first time, still blows my mind as I'm no engineer.

Buchvillman: Thanks man! Hopefully soon I'll have some wheeling pics not that I actually get to be home to drive the thing!

So where did ya go??

I know I can manipulate the ride height...I'm just working on figuring bracket locations to mount the spring hangers...

Those shock towers- they're the F250?? Right?

Thanks!

Back