OBD II no communication with scanner | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

OBD II no communication with scanner

Reaction score
City, State
Redondo Beach, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 Explorer XLT 4X4
I have a high end OTC Genisys touch scanner, it wont communicate with my 02 xlt 4.6 4x4. i checked the terminal for proper ground and readings as far as resistance is concerned. all checked out ok. looking under the dash, there are a lot of splices for towing as well as an aftermarket alarm system that is unlugged. should i just yank the dash and repair the wiring harness or is there something else i should check first?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If all that checked out okay, I would test the scanner first on another vehicle to be sure it's not something in the scanner.

yes

I have used the scanner successfully on several other vehicles.

The positive line at the connector is hot?

White/Yellow should be hot at all times.
Orange is UBP Diagnostics
Black, Black/White are ground

Tan/Yellow is Can bus +
Red/Yellow is Can bus -
Both of these are frequency dependent. They shut down when tapped in my experience.

Violet is module programming signal
Light blue/White is data bus ISO 9141 (k-line)

I have a high end OTC Genisys touch scanner, it wont communicate with my 02 xlt 4.6 4x4. i checked the terminal for proper ground and readings as far as resistance is concerned. all checked out ok. looking under the dash, there are a lot of splices for towing as well as an aftermarket alarm system that is unlugged. should i just yank the dash and repair the wiring harness or is there something else i should check first?

Check the cigarette lighter fuse, most of the time the power circuit for the OBD2 connector is on the same circuit.

Ever find out what the issue was? I'm having the same problem, cigarette lighter works, no blown fuses but 3 different readers won't get anything from it.

Back