OBD II scanner (what is compatible ) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

OBD II scanner (what is compatible )

XxBJDxX

Reaction score
City, State
Bay Area, California
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Explorer Sport
Hello all,

Recently I purchased a OBD II Bluetooth scanner off of ebay, specifically "ELM 327" version 1.5, even although it was listed as being compatible with a 1998 ford explorer, it clearly was NOT after installing multiple applications and going through every trouble shooting method that I could find, I also did research and found this is a common problem with the generic versions of the ELM 327. Im curious to know what ones off of ebay ( or any other website) that will work with the "torque" app ?? Anyone have any good suggestions? thanks in advance

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have bought three of those generic ELM 327 devices and all of them worked.
First of all you need to pair it with the phone/tablet inside the Android "wireless settings".
One had a different pairing code and I had to ask the seller what it was (6789 versus the usual 1234).
Mine are the blue type, one the longer (with LED's) and two the shorter (no LED's) version. They work with torque (Android), forscan (Windows)...

I bought a wired connection from ebay wowpartspro seller: ELM327 USB Interface OBDII OBD2 Diagnostic Auto Car Scanner Scan Tool Cable New. Works fine with FORSCAN and Windows 7 Home Premium.

Hello all,

Recently I purchased a OBD II Bluetooth scanner off of ebay, specifically "ELM 327" version 1.5, even although it was listed as being compatible with a 1998 ford explorer, it clearly was NOT after installing multiple applications and going through every trouble shooting method that I could find, I also did research and found this is a common problem with the generic versions of the ELM 327. Im curious to know what ones off of ebay ( or any other website) that will work with the "torque" app ?? Anyone have any good suggestions? thanks in advance

What version of Windows are you using? The ELM devices hate Windows 7 and 8.. Takes a fun while to get them working..
After I upgraded to Windows 8, I spent 3 hours getting the stupid ELM working.

not using windows at all, using torque pro app for android, it is connecting and being paired, ( using 1234 ) , the problem is, it says it cannot connect to "ECU", it says " no connection to ECU", therefore no data is displayed at all. I do have the ignition on, so im guessing it is not compatible with my 1998 ford explorer?? I will post screen shots of the app later when i get home, I appreciate any and all help

OK this may sound silly, but check the ODBII connector and make sure you have 12v. Look in your owners manual for the fuse. On my wifes HHR had your issue and found that the fuse (which happened to be same as front cigar lighter) was blown. Replaced the fuse and all was well. Just my 2 cents.

OK this may sound silly, but check the ODBII connector and make sure you have 12v. Look in your owners manual for the fuse. On my wifes HHR had your issue and found that the fuse (which happened to be same as front cigar lighter) was blown. Replaced the fuse and all was well. Just my 2 cents.

Will do, theoretically, if this was the case, would there be no power to the ELM unit? because it does light up

What version of Windows are you using? The ELM devices hate Windows 7 and 8.. Takes a fun while to get them working..
After I upgraded to Windows 8, I spent 3 hours getting the stupid ELM working.

I have Windows 7 64 bit on 2 of my laptops (Dell) and generic ELM (ver 1.5) works perfect with Forscan.
So my experience is that Win 7 is just fine with them. Those are similar with what I have:

180058-1.jpg

elm327_bluetooth-2.jpg

I have Windows 7 64 bit on 2 of my laptops (Dell) and generic ELM (ver 1.5) works perfect with Forscan.
So my experience is that Win 7 is just fine with them. Those are similar with what I have:

180058-1.jpg

elm327_bluetooth-2.jpg

So these work but not used on android? I was banking on using with my android phone only, although i do have a windows 7 and windows 8 laptops, I was counting on using this in conjunction with my phone alone... Is forscan a windows or android app?

OK, so just got back, checked the 12v fuse, check out fine,below are screen shots of the app on my phone, tried everything possible, i think im going to return this thing, cant seem to get it to work, and im a pretty technical person so its pretty frustrating, you can see in the screen shots below, it does have a connection, my ignition is turned on, but it still says "No connection to ECU"

So these work but not used on android? I was banking on using with my android phone only, although i do have a windows 7 and windows 8 laptops, I was counting on using this in conjunction with my phone alone... Is forscan a windows or android app?

They work on Android too ("torque" and "dash commander" for example).
I was just replying to previous statement about Windows 7.
Anyway, I don't know how many times I need to say it:
Always the first step is to pair the bluetooth device with your phone (or laptop):
http://www.androidcentral.com/android-101-how-pair-bluetooth-headset-0
https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/38321/~/droid---bluetooth

Nothing will work without that pairing.

Most likely the device is bad

That's a very possible cause too, given the manufacturer's country of origin :)

That's a very possible cause too, given the manufacturer's country of origin :)

I assume all cheap no name electronic items off ebay are inferior quality because the manufacturers use the worst possible solder, the worst caps, and average at best PCBs.

I picked up this one (BAFX Products - Bluetooth OBD2 scan tool) and have had 0 problems pairing to my phone, and connecting to any vehicle with ODB II :thumbsup:

They work on Android too ("torque" and "dash commander" for example).
I was just replying to previous statement about Windows 7.
Anyway, I don't know how many times I need to say it:
Always the first step is to pair the bluetooth device with your phone (or laptop):
http://www.androidcentral.com/android-101-how-pair-bluetooth-headset-0
https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/38321/~/droid---bluetooth

Nothing will work without that pairing.

thank you for the replys, it is being paired with no problems, im thinking more and more that its a defective unit, going to get a refund and get a new one, probably one of the units suggested in this thread.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I picked up this one (BAFX Products - Bluetooth OBD2 scan tool) and have had 0 problems pairing to my phone, and connecting to any vehicle with ODB II :thumbsup:

Will check this one out as well, thank you

Back