OBX Exhaust Header Manifold FITS 97 98 99 00 01 Explorer Mountaineer 5.0L V8 | Page 13 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

OBX Exhaust Header Manifold FITS 97 98 99 00 01 Explorer Mountaineer 5.0L V8

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So where is everyone that was going to post up before and after Dyno runs?

Any one at all have anything good or bad to say about these headers?

There essentiality a copy of the TMs so they should have similar gains.

Hell ebay hasant had them in stock for months.I have e mailed the seller and he just keeps saying he is waiting on the manufacture for more.I asked him if they were gonna discontinue them and he said no.Seems he hasan't stocked them since January.

I don't even understand why people are so stoked on these. They are crap and I wish I never spent the time to properly install them. Lost a decent lady in the process too...

With any luck the person who clearly copied TM gets cancer and they never appear on the market again.

I don't even understand why people are so stoked on these. They are crap and I wish I never spent the time to properly install them. Lost a decent lady in the process too...

With any luck the person who clearly copied TM gets cancer and they never appear on the market again.
I tried to warn people.

Explain to me in full detail whats wrong with them ? I am not going to read 10 pages of this topic to find out.As i understand they are a direct copy of TMH.You can get them coated if that bothers you.They may have to be modified to fit.They are 400$ compared like 800$ for the TMH.You cant expect to get a half off price and not have to modify.I have seen a few people on here that installed them and love them.

I am not going to read 10 pages of this topic
Just read my posts then. Boils down to how much you value your time and I've detailed the methods of what to buy to save others as much as I could. If I could go back, I wish I never heard of these headers.

The obx one can't be over a year old and looks like crap!

Of course there is a difference between the TMH headers and the OBX headers.

TMH headers are JET HOT coated, where as the OBX are not.

That is why you save money on the OBX as well. If you JET HOT coat the OBX headers, they are the SAME!!!!

Of course there is a difference between the TMH headers and the OBX headers.

TMH headers are JET HOT coated, where as the OBX are not.

That is why you save money on the OBX as well. If you JET HOT coat the OBX headers, they are the SAME!!!!

Quality of metal used (carbon content ect.) Is NOT THE SAME. It would be like comparing the new nice harbor freight ratchet to a snap on one. They might work like the same on the first few jobs but 3 months down the road that harbor freight one is sticking and popping where as that snap on one still feels like new.

I just had my TMH header fixed(not the header or manufacturers fault, the exhaust shop crimped it), and the welder said that jet hot coating is tougher than nails. He had to switch up his grinding wheel to get the coating off to weld in a patch. He was impressed with the work Al's headers did and the stainless steel they used to build the header. Stainless costs quite a bit more also.

Quality of metal used (carbon content ect.) Is NOT THE SAME. It would be like comparing the new nice harbor freight ratchet to a snap on one. They might work like the same on the first few jobs but 3 months down the road that harbor freight one is sticking and popping where as that snap on one still feels like new.

You seem to always be right on top of knocking down these headers, why is that?
Can you show me some source to this cheaper metal being used? If not, then I think you are just talking out of the side of your mouth.

Put your money where your mouth is and show some evidence! Otherwise they are the same minus the coating.

You seem to always be right on top of knocking down these headers, why is that?
Can you show me some source to this cheaper metal being used? If not, then I think you are just talking out of the side of your mouth.

Put your money where your mouth is and show some evidence! Otherwise they are the same minus the coating.

And, amigodana, What evidence do you have to back up your claim?

easy boys. lol
I would make (and have made) the same assumption Turdle did. These headers are inexpensive. So inexpensive that the cost of quality metal out weights the cost of the headers. Assuming that the labour to weld these up is almost free, there would still be a negative profit.
In a market place, I think we would all agree that you have to make a profit on something you sell.

Would I be afraid of these headers? No. I would, however, have them coated. After what the welder said about the jet hot coating, I'm definitely a fan of it now. Also, there is a place in Ontario Canada that uses much the same process (If not the same). Anyone wanting coating done might want to go there as with the Canada/US dollar difference it might be quite a bit less expensive to ship them to Canada for coating.

And, amigodana, What evidence do you have to back up your claim?

The only claim that I said was about the coating, even you know that one is coated and one is not. That alone can make a substantial difference, would you not agree?

His claim is that even with the coating, they would still be worthless because of the metal alloys. WRONG!!!

Go to the JET HOT website for a source on my claim to see the evidence.

Like I thought, no evidence. Worthless is an opinion, you can have yours, I can have mine. My opinion is to buy American products, not cheap chinese knock offs.

hightechcoatings ..... I'll let you know how it goes with them. My repaired header is on its way to see them for some lovin now.

The issue Turdle (and me) has is that install is very time consuming. The hope is that once installed, they do not have to come off again. We will all have to agree that the cheaper metal will rust out much faster. Depending on lots of variables (Short trips, etc. leaving moisture in the header at shut down) the obx header will rust out faster. How much faster? No one can answer that.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Guys, the argument is really kinds crazy. We can't get our hands on either the China, or the US made product anyway.
If the China made one was my only option, I'd buy it. Given the option of both, I'd go US (And I'm Canadian) made. More money, but materials and quality control are better. No one can argue that.

Back