OEM All-Season Floor Mats

97Sandbox

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Seward, NE
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer Sport
With December fast-approaching, I've been thinking I wish I had a set of all-season floor mats to help my interior weather another season of Milwaukee's slush and salt. I was close to buying some WeatherTech mats because I've had great experiences with those in the past, but then I found these awesome OEM mats in a '98 at my local salvage yard!
20201122_155734.jpg

They're a spot-on match for my '97 XLT's Mid Prairie Tan interior and they're even dated 11/17/97, although I did notice that the Explorer font is in the style of the first gen trucks, not the second gen.

Anyone else have a set of these? I've never stumbled upon any rubber mats like these before and I'm excited to swap them in place of the embroidered Limited mats I'm running currently.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That's a great find! I've dug thru dozens upon dozens of Explorers in the local yards over the years and have never seen a set like this. In fact, it's not easy to find ANY decent mats.

I have never ran across them in my junkyard trips. There was a member about an hour from me that had a set, even in green, for sale. Never bought them, and I should have...

Thats the most amazing thing ive seen today. I want 4. In grey please haha Great find!!! Go get a lotto ticket!!! I never have seen any nor knew they made them.

Thanks everyone! I'm happy to hear that these are as awesome of I find as I thought they were -- and equally relieved I'm not the only one obsessed with finding OEM floor mats in the salvage yard haha.

I do wish there had been a set of four mats (better yet five with a cargo mat), but the particular vehicle I took these out of just had generic black rubber mats in back. I'll definitely be keeping an eye out for more in the future, maybe they were more frequently purchased by folks up here in snow/salt/rust territory.

If anyone has pics of the other colors, post them up! I'd love to see mats in Willow Green or Medium Denim Blue (seemingly the rarest second gen interior color) or even the red that some first gen Explorers had.

The rear typically only had one long, very long mat that goes side to side. Two of my Limited's have had them.

The rear typically only had one long, very long mat that goes side to side. Two of my Limited's have had them.
I know the style you're talking about (I have a single long Limited mat in the rear of my truck currently), but I've never seen rubber ones. I'll have to keep looking for some whenever I'm wandering the yards!

Dude! and off to ebay i go!

oh....ouch....i dont have 100$ to toss around right this minute.

And they fit my grey interior.... pony up gang for my Christmas present.....

arnt they awesome!

Spotted a charcoal grey/black mat in cellys elite registry this afternoon. Now that I've seen them once I'm noticing them all over the place haha!
Autovation_5L_pedals1.jpg

Spotted a charcoal grey/black mat in cellys elite registry this afternoon. Now that I've seen them once I'm noticing them all over the place haha!
View attachment 324948

Look again at that picture. I think you should be hunting those unique pedal covers also. Those were a one off thing I recall from about 2004 or so. They were meant to kind of emulate the Saleen pedal covers, from the Saleen XP8 Explorers.

Look again at that picture. I think you should be hunting those unique pedal covers also. Those were a one off thing I recall from about 2004 or so. They were meant to kind of emulate the Saleen pedal covers, from the Saleen XP8 Explorers.

No way! I figured those were custom. I'll definitely have to watch for a set in my salvage yard adventures! Were they specifically for Explorers, or were those a Mustang accessory too?

Those were made by Explorer Express maybe, it was in that time frame when EE had a lot of nice Explorer parts. Search for "Saleen XP8" on here or the internet. There were a lot of parts people love to go after, but they were so few made, that hardly any turn up. There were only about 125 Saleen's made, over about three years. The molds were destroyed about the following year of the last trucks, so very few spare parts existed.

Here's an interesting picture of XP8 parts. A former forum member of another site had them in 2004ish. I own the front bumper.

XP8 kit.jpg

OH GOD! I need those pedals for my 5.0 Ranger!!!

OH GOD! I need those pedals for my 5.0 Ranger!!!
Hmm, I don't think I have a picture of the Saleen pedals, but you would love those. Oh well, I did find one. There were three pedal covers, one for the left foot rest too.

Saleen pedals.jpg

These pedals are all awesome!

The coolest I've got is a set of pedals (and foot rest) pulled from a salvage yard Mazdaspeed3 which I plan to install in a manual Explorer when I eventually get/build one. I once test fit them on a manual Ranger and they're actually pretty close to fitting (gotta love Ford/Mazda commonality!). I believe I'll just need to trim the clutch and brake pedals to match the angles.

MS3.jpg
IMG_0076.jpg

These look just like the ones I have.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Say that's pretty nifty! And yes I need the saleen pedals as well!

Back