Official Moab 2004 Chitchat Thread | Page 21 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Official Moab 2004 Chitchat Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
hvac man said:
I don't think anyone here would try it but you never know :)

I'd do it in the Zuk.

Here it is, almost ready for Moab. I'm still in the process of putting the two radios (2m and CB) up in the cage. Got the wiring part done this afternoon.

Attachments

• zuk-moab.jpg
    zuk-moab.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 248

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sweet Thom, We may have to see if anyone else wants to go play around on lower proving grounds one day after the main trail run. Lower PG is pretty close to town, where as upper helldo is like 25 miles. Have you ever been there?

Guy sounds like you are one busy man ;) :D

I too will be testing new parts in Moab :D

Clint, stop typing and get busy on that Atlas! :D

If there's a hard core run after the main run one day, I'll ride shotgun/spotter for someone!

Dude I would love to but UPS says it it somewhere in IL right now :(

hvac man said:
Sweet Thom, We may have to see if anyone else wants to go play around on lower proving grounds one day after the main trail run. Lower PG is pretty close to town, where as upper helldo is like 25 miles. Have you ever been there?

I haven't been to either one. I do believe there are several other hardcore listed as going - I'm all for doing this on sunday or monday.

Upper helldo is a winch trail for sure - I'd not even try that last waterfall. Pull that cable and go..

Edit - just found Gerald's amusing list..

Extreme: 5.5+ lift, 35" tires, both axles locked, winch, willing to take major body damage - bring it awn, any trail
Msupertek
Mudd*****
hvac man
Michael
Dannyboy
tdavis (mini-Extreme)

well? come awn, let's show the world what an Explorer can do on Upper Helldo or Proving Grounds..

Alrighty then lets do it. Lol, I have no body left to damage to be honest with you so It really don't matter to me. I just want to save it for the last day because I want to do some wheeling before I burn up the tranny or break something that may demobilize me, so Sunday sounds great to me. I need some good pics. I do have full spools front and rear, 5.13's, and a winch. Oh and don't forget the ignorance to allow me to do things that normal people would say NO! to.

9352g23.jpg

I draw the line at Upper Helldo with my X but I am all for watching someone else try it in an explorer :D I am fine with just sticking to Prichett or lower Proving Grounds ;) I am still kind of good looking if I do say so myself.....LOL :D

Attachments

• gritting teeth.jpg
    gritting teeth.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 210

Well, if it's just two (one zuk and one explorer) I take the honorable thing, and stay with the rest of the group. I would prefer to run with 2 explorers/rangers due to weight differences with the zuk. I'm not going to pull, tug, or winch an explorer/ranger with the zuk.

Don't matter to me as long as I'm offroading. I care nothing about the body damage, only of the mechanical parts of my truck, as long as it moves I ain't worried about anything else (dents scratches, etc). Come on Utah...

How long do you think it will take to run Pritchett? There should be some more time Sunday to run Proving Grounds, especially if it is real close to town. Someone will need to take lotsa pics :D

My crew is also up for some "more adventurous trails" as long as we can make it back home with our trucks. My kids are worried that we will go out there and only drive city boy trails... They are pretty used to hard core wheeling - but things are likely to look much bigger and steeper once we get there...

glfredrick said:
My kids are worried that we will go out there and only drive city boy trails...
LOL!!! Sounds like you raised 'em right!

remember the traction in Moab allows you to climb stuff you wouldnt normally attempt or be able too...yes it looks alot steeper in person :)

Yup, I tried to raise the boys right... They both think it is pretty funny to set a truck on its tailgate.

Also, with the size of the hills at Moab, I expect that it is bigger than a lot of the pics let on. When I get home after a run, I am almost always disapointed at how the pictures don't do justice to that straight up and down staircase that we clawed our way up... I imagine Moab is about the same way, but in any case, they are ready to go... Oldest one just stuck 4.56's in his XJ - youngest one has an older XJ with a winch that he likes to use... both armored and ready. Me, I'm just an old timer that is a little bit looney - but I have driven some too... I ran a bulk milk route (farm pickup) back in Wisconsin for 11 years that had some nasty roads - one was 240 feet straight down at an 18.5% grade - and I did it on glare ice all winter long - no guard rails, just one stupid piece of road. I've been there and back including dumping a 92 Freighliner off a 30' embankment when I came backwards down a hill. Bring it AWN! :burnout:

Prichett Will take a while ;) I think everytime someone I know runs it someone breaks something. My friends and I also ran proving grounds at night over Thanksgiving but that was pretty hairy. I think it is a good thing we ran it at night because that stuff looks pretty bad in the daylight :D

Only 11 days to Moab 2004 :D :bounce:

Ye-HAW, Guy!!! LOL. Can't wait to meetcha!

Well, I just made reservations at the Canyonlands Campground for Jaime (410) and me. We got us a Cabin! Anyone checked those out before?

All right, one week to go!!! :bounce: Im leaving Dallas next Tuesday afternoon, to be in Moab Wednesday afternoon. I had a nice lady I was bringing with me , but she can't make it. :( So now I'm bringing a buddy of mine, :banghead: he's not much fun, but at least he will pay half the gas and hotel. ;) I didn't really ask Gerald, but I didn't figure he wanted to share a room this year. :D Now lets go get our trucks real dusty, and no :roll: . Later David

Man my 31s are starting to look small.

Well, I managed to get the driver's side front suspension re-arranged yesterday. Put on the flexy spring - the F250 shock mount - the Rancho RS9000 - made the sway bar discos and gained about 1.5" in height but almost 10" in travel. Today the other side, plus a relocation of the front and rear brake lines. My tubes are bend for the sliders, I have to pick them up along with the 3" body lift, and I have a lot of work to get done...

I didn't really ask Gerald, but I didn't figure he wanted to share a room this year. :D
I'm preparing the wedding ceremony -- Um, I don't think he and Ashli would appreciate that... I think they have plans that don't involve roomates... :rolleyes:

In fact, they may be a bit late for the trail runs Saturday morning... :bounce:

:bounce:
I got everything I needed done, but I wasn`t buliding a whole new truck like Gl seems to be!
All that remains is an oil change and lube at the quickie shop down the road, and the rest is destiny.

Funny how in crunch time every little noise is amplified into something that will catastrophically fail leaving me stranded in the middle of nowhere though. What`s up with that?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That's what happens when you decide to take a different truck than the one you usually wheel...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back