• Register Today It's free!

Oil consumption/leak

MistahYebba

Reaction score
City, State
Clearwater, Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Ford Explorer XLT
So I have 3 leaks, power steering, coolant, and oil, all of which seem to be hidden, but the lack of fluids start to show every month or two and I just top them off.

The oil is the most concerning to me. Once the oil starts getting low, I get ticks/clicking/weird sounds and questionable performance, but today I was experiencing some interesting behavior and I wanted to check in with you guys.

It's colder weather today and my truck seems to act up when it's cold (92 Explorer).

Driving down the highway to work this morning, I would hit points in acceleration where the RPMs would stay the same as I was trying to speed up. Let's say 1800 RPMs. It would just stay perfectly there on the tach, and if I'd push a little harder on the pedal to knock it out of place, I could feel it switch gears and start better again. This made me think I must have a sticking gear? Is that how that works?

And when I rev hard enough to get out of that gear into the next one, we're good?

Hoping this was just the cold/bad start/getting low on oil, but what could it be?

Furthermore, I want to solve this.. how can I even begin to address an oil leak? I see no oil spots ever. Takes about a month and a half to go from full to low.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

How many miles do you drive in a month?

Ummmmm, that's kind of hard to say without going and looking at the tach, but let's say 800-1200.

How much fluid are loosing when you have to top off?

Engine oil: pull and check plugs, pcv valve and oil fill cap, radiator cap and fluid, and oil dipstick for residues other than what should be there, particularly foam, brown or rusty sludge.

Power steering: hoses, there are orings between the reservoir and the pump and where the HP hose exits the pump and goes to the gear box. Also check where the bleeder valve is on the HP hose.

Coolant: related to engine oil above. look for sludge or rusty fluid.

I'm inclined to be thinking of loose LIM bolts right now. if thats not the issue then I'd be looking towards at best to blown head gasket or cracked head worst.

If you didn't mention revving up to get it to shift then I would think your TPS has some bad spots. But you're talking about giving it more gas and it will downshift? Like you're passing someone or going up a hill and get into the throttle? That MIGHT be normal-ish.

My 1991 is a pig on the highway. I don't know if it's just the gearing or the engine not having as much pep as it used to but I have to slow down to 45-50 and floor the gas to trigger a downshift (kickdown) in order to climb hills. If I cruise along at 55-60 in OD, I slowly lose speed no matter how much I get into the throttle.

Pretty sure the lower intake gasket is an oil leak culprit. Some try to tighten the bolts, though it didn't work for me. R&R gasket.

Back