Oil drain plug stuck stripped bolt | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Oil drain plug stuck stripped bolt

parad1mg

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
La Mirada, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 Mounty 5.0 AWD
this drain plug is kicking my butt..

it wont budge and even had a mechanic take a whack at it..

things tried to remove it:

-13mm bolt
-pb
-liquid wrench
-heat
-pipe wrench
-vice grips
-irwin bolt extractor
-jamming 1/2" bolt extractor (just rounded the thing more)

anybody have any experience with this dang butter bolt?

Thanks!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

get a sharp chisel and a good sized hammer and whack at all of the corners like your trying to loosen the bolt works every time for me.

If its not budging with heat, its probably gonna need a new pan.. :(

get a sharp chisel and a good sized hammer and whack at all of the corners like your trying to loosen the bolt works every time for me.

hit it on the side of the head or between the bolt and the pan?

I'm kind of restrained with hitting it any harder in fear of damaging the oil pan..

If its not budging with heat, its probably gonna need a new pan.. :(

duudddeee.. dont say that... this thing was supposed to be a 15 min. job..

i saw an article about making a slot for a big screwdriver, filing the head to make new sides and some other tricks.. i'll try those out first before changing the pan and post pictures if one of the method prooves successful..

you hit the corners like the chisel is facing toward the pan and the direction for taking the bolt out hit the corners but not so far out the corners break off. You don't have to hit it so hard you break anything. Also I have seen my uncle grind a striped bolt down and put a smaller wrench on and take it off that way.

By chance did you take it to a oil change shop the last time? I have seen what I hope is "new" employees use an impact gun on oil drain bolts before. Oil drain bolt is one of the few bolts on your vehicle you don't want to torque!

By chance did you take it to a oil change shop the last time? I have seen what I hope is "new" employees use an impact gun on oil drain bolts before. Oil drain bolt is one of the few bolts on your vehicle you don't want to torque!

how true..

this is the first oil change for the car under my ownership..

Before you pull the pan, take it to a shop with a welder. Even a muffler shop should be able to do this. Weld on a big nut. Try and find one that will slip over the existing head. Weld it solid to the drain plug and try that with a 6 point socket. If that doesn't work, see post #4.

If all else fails, Junkyard Pan, a lot cheaper. .. .
Last time i had my oil change by a quick lube, it was 10 below and snowing. I had one heck of time getting it off too. . .i usually tighten it firm and then a little more 1/32 of a turn at most. These guys can stand up torque it down but i'm on my back so i don't get the same leverage.

grind two sides of the head flat and use a LARGE cresent wrench

Works so often its ridiculous

welding a new nut on it also works, just make sure your battery is disconnected first

grind two sides of the head flat and use a LARGE cresent wrench

Works so often its ridiculous

welding a new nut on it also works, just make sure your battery is disconnected first

i'm gonna get a file from homedepot later and see if i can create new sides off of the head.. it is so hard to get a grip on it cause its rounded and it tapered out..

I like the idea with welding a big nut to the end of the old plug. I had a problem like this once with my 96 explorer and I ended up welding a piece of scrap metal, like a piece of re-rod or something, and basically made the old drain plug into a giant wing nut. Worked great!

file = PITA
do you have a 4" electric grinder?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

especially with an air hammer :)

Back