older mustangs trouble areas?

TarHeel085

And den
Reaction score
City, State
Raleigh, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 Sport 4wd
im lookin to get a 1965-1967 Mustang Fastback, what i really wanna do is to do a "performance" buildup on whatever i get. my plans are to get a 351 and build it, using a rebuild kit from summit, then prob gettin a new cam, valve covers, maybe bore it somewhere in the neighborhood of 0.30-0.60 over, get an edelbrock performer intake, some hedman headers, a 600-700 CFM carb, and a muncie 4 speed with a hurst shifter, and some fairly tall gears in a 9". now my question is, does this plan sound good? and what else can i do to boost performance without spending an arm and a leg. and what are some worry areas with these older stangs ie: where to look for rust and things of that nature. TIA

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

try for a CA car that was taken care of.... basically anything that old is going to have problems, its old....... but if you build most of it, there isnt too much more that you will have to worry about

Rust problem areas are rear quarters, especially the inner panel between the trunk floor and the outer body, the front floorboards, and the shock towers. One of the problems with the older Mustangs that have rust issues is that the shock towers begin to sag inwards towards each other if the engine compartment fenderwells get rusty. Also there is a hidden rust problem with the cold air intake box. It's the area under the front cowl that lets fresh air into the car.

I wouldn't bore it unless you have to. I'd rather spend the money you would put into new pistons, rings and machining on a good set of performance heads. Also, go with a 5 speed, not the 4 speed. Much more road friendly with an overdrive gear. YOu should also get a set of sub-frame connectors to stiffen up the unibody, and swap out the front suspension to on of the kits now available. Massive improvements in handling. I would also suggest putting in a 4 wheel disc brake system. Mustangs had a lot of "GO" without a lot of "WHOA".

I've owned 2 '65s and a 66, and we are now looking at getting a '65 or '66 289 convertible for my wife. We're gonna do roughly what you want to do, except we're gonna start with the stock 289 block and go from there.

Re: Re: older mustangs trouble areas?

Originally posted by Hokie
0.030 - 0.060 over

You bore 0.6 over for 2 cylinders (1.2") and you'll have 1 cylinder in the shape of an figure eight ;)
doh, what one 0 will due, thanks for pointin that out Hokie.

and Jim, i would like a CA car, but the gas i would use/shipping to NC would be crazy. 15mpg going 3000 miles wouldnt be pretty.

Jeff, what 5spd would that be? a t-5, im not sure what bolts up to an older 351. also, what year is good for a starter 351? and thanks for the tips on the rust!

If your planning on a CA car

Bring your wallet! The Mustangs are way over priced out here. A junk coupe is like 3k. and for a fastback if you can find one your lookinkink at least 6k for a junker.

I too in the future am looking and buying an old mustang. I grew up with a pair of '70 BOSS 302's and a '69 Mach 1. I was kinda pissed when my dad sold one of the BOSS for $6500 about ten years ago. She was the yellow with black stripes up the center. Shaker hood, front and rear spoilers, louvers on the back window. And the the whole thing was on stands for 15 years. All the motor, susp. drivetrain, was on a shelf in garage. You could open the door of the car and it smelled like a new car still. :mad: Man I wish I could have had that car!

if you're gonna build a motor..... i would build a 347 stroker over a 351. the cost on stroker kits are so cheap now its not much more than building a stock roller 302. this will cut down on the weight quite a bit and give you almost the same cubes; and more room under hood.

go with the 347. you can get a t5 to bolt up no problem. or even build up the 289. we are pushing almost 300hp in my dads 65 convertable with a 289. it runs smoother than stock and is amazingly quick. good luck 65-66 fastbacks are beauiteful cars. get some pics!

here is a quick pic to get the juices runnin. sorry i dont have an engine pic here at school with me

445913_7.jpg

there are 2 more in my cardoamin page

Inspect the area underneath teh drivers seat well...it can be rotten without being visable to untrained eyes.....

can i stroke a carb. motor? and wow the stroker kit from summit is $1500 :eek: but what am i lookin at for better performance if i do the same things as listed above except for the boring? and what is a good year for a carbed 5.0?

yes, you can run a carb just fine on a stroker. the carbed intake and the EFI intakes all bolt up the same. a 347 stroker rotating assembly isnt much more than a 351W rotating assembly.... and like i said, you'll have quite a bit less weight up front.

Originally posted by TarHeel085
...but what am i lookin at for better performance if i do the same things as listed above except for the boring? and what is a good year for a carbed 5.0?

First off, ya better stop calling it a "five-oh" when you're talkin' classic Mustangs. They're 289's or 302's!! :p :D. If ya don't wanna spend a lot of $$ to hop up your motor, go with a new cam, intake, carb, electronic ignition, and headers. That will keep you under $1k. For motor choice, you can run with almost any vintage block. There are more differences in the heads and intakes than in the blocks. For an early Stang, you can use just about any 289 or 302. The differences start when the emissions controls are added to the vehicle. The heads and intakes change. If you're looking for a motor in the boneyard, start looking at F-150's. There are a ton of them with 302's floating around.

Back