OMG NOOOO!! can I drop my oil pan??? | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

OMG NOOOO!! can I drop my oil pan???

You had me scared! If i saw that arrangement by one of the techs at my shop i would stop and make sure he had the engine supported safely before he tried to do any repairs such as replacing pan gasket, oil pump etc..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Turdle- watch that aluminum wire holding those calipers :nono:

The calipers are supported with 100 lb powdercoating hooks, because, yeah.

Tough lessons get lernt here--

i know i'm a little late.. last time i had to do motor mounts i cracked the motor bolts loose took 2 4x4 wood post. only bc i had them handy. placed directly over manifold headers from cow to rad support. a ratchet strap on each header to the board and lifted the motor enough clearance to get at the motor mounts. I am shocked i did not crush the wiper cow.

The phenolic works fine for anything but severe duty, which is my vehicles. Let us know how easy they rebuild for you, I've only done two pairs before.

I have never rebuilt one, with new ones being $18 I never saw the need, until now! Are they a PITA? looks simple enough?

I would say towing and low range 4x4 with 33-35" tires extreme duty :)

Jamie-
The heat spacer in your intake is phenolic resin also-

It can withstand the heat of the egr gasses. Next time you remove one take a look at the center hole area.

Jamie, could you check the tracking again for me please?

Normally I hear the knocking rod in the fed ex truck by now--

Your pm box was full yesterday BTW

I know the intake is phenolic but I doubt the exhaust gasses get as hot as the brake calipers?
I dunno?

tracking now.....yest it said delivery today

Jon Ill PM you the tracking number, it says ON VEHICLE FOR DELIVERY 824 am then AT LOCAL FEDEX FACILITY at 8:25

Great...........it better mean its still coming!! PM for tracking

ah, wise guy eh?:p:

Attachments

• fnny funny.jpg
    fnny funny.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 609

And it already has some purple on it.. :)

~Mark

LOL I had ta! I KNEW you would be washing and PC'ing that sucker so some sharpie cant hurt! I wanted to put a Keystone light in there too but didnt want to risk breaking some laws????

LOL I had ta! I KNEW you would be washing and PC'ing that sucker so some sharpie cant hurt! I wanted to put a Keystone light in there too but didnt want to risk breaking some laws????

Smokey & The Bandit 4 coming this summer. :D

Jamie, thanks so much!

I have the pan washed and it is out gassing now-which means I am baking all the oils from it I can prior to blasting-
In the meantime, since I have over an hour

I am researching a new sure drain plug, and sure enough I find 3 possible sizes for our trucks

And-by golly this new pan drain plug is not the same size as my original.

The three possible ones are :

SD-1 = 1/2x 20
SD-2= M14x1.5
SD-4= M12x1.75

I used a thread gage from my tap and die set, and the closest to fitting would be a 18 pitch thread, however it isn't quite right. If there was a 17 it would fit.

The bolt is about .6 give or take in diameter including the threads, over 1/2 inch--

It is not a 20 pitch thread, so that rules out the SD 1

I am assuming an M14 size is what I have here. Could someone please verify so I can go get one from ebay right quick?

Yes, I bought a 14mm x 1.5 drain plug for mine recently. What kind were you looking at? I was after just a magnetic plug, and the best washer I had to buy separately, a steel piece with rubber built onto it.

What are you looking at on eBay, hopefully not like this link shows?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Magn...hash=item280078237328&_trksid=p4506.m20.l1116

That seller seems to be selling the two pieces that I bought separately from a help section of a parts store. They can be had for a little over $2 each, the seller is asking $9.95 for many different vehicles. A good racket if he sells many I'd say.

Yes, I bought a 14mm x 1.5 drain plug for mine recently. What kind were you looking at? I was after just a magnetic plug, and the best washer I had to buy separately, a steel piece with rubber built onto it.

What are you looking at on eBay, hopefully not like this link shows?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Magn...hash=item280078237328&_trksid=p4506.m20.l1116

That seller seems to be selling the two pieces that I bought separately from a help section of a parts store. They can be had for a little over $2 each, the seller is asking $9.95 for many different vehicles. A good racket if he sells many I'd say.

Don
I am installing a fram sure drain-
need it to get around the skid plates. Otherwise, changing the oil would be a nasty messy chore.

410-SD2.jpg

Nice, do those come with any needed drain plug size? Now you have a bigger reason to use synthetic for longer intervals.

Have you read about the bypass filter systems? I was worried about running the Amsoil for so long given our short oil filters. The bypass filter is a great solution, it's about 50% bigger than an FL1A, and it filters to near 2 microns, instead of 25 microns. The combination should work great for 15,000 miles(severe duty). Recall I recently mentioned having discovered the adapter separately for the bypass filter is under $25. You can plumb the adapter yourself with the lines and fittings that you provide.

Note that to do that you need to plan an oil return path, if you have the pan out, add a bulkhead fitting to save time. With the aluminum pan you already know how brittle it is. I'm about to drill two holes in mine, and securing the fittings will be important.

I'm late but yeah its the M14x1.5 because converting the 1.5mm pitch to teeth-per-inch, it comes out to 16.93 - very close to what you described (17 TPI)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back