P1451 code on 2000 exp 5.0

jremington59

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Watertown, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997, 99 and 2000 5.0's
I finally found another explorer to buy today. It's the LTD. It's got the code for Evap Vent Solenoid Circuit Malfunction. I believe this is the box up under the spare tire that's hell to get to. My question to those that have done this is there one plug or two that go to this? If I look up through the cover I can see where there is a plug that is connected from a wire that comes up by the right rear tire. I also see another plug there that's not pluged into anything, but is in the same spot as the other wire. The one hanging there looks to be a two prong female outlet that seems to have the broken off male prongs in it. I sprayed the bolts to take off the cover but it got dark. Does anyone know if this solenoid has one plug or two?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My 99 only has one plug on it. I just took mind down a few days ago to change shocks.

I took off the vent solenoid and from my readings it says that it should measure between 50 and 60 ohms. I assume this means across the two pins the power plug hooks onto? If so I had a reading of just over 2 ohms.

I made a mistake with my reading. That would be two mega ohms, so I guess it's safe to say the sensor is toast.

For anyone that might have this code, replacing the vent solenoid with a new one took care of the problem.....

Autozone lists 2 solenoids. One is $53 the other is almost $90. Which one did you replace?

The one in the rear above the spare tire. The expensive one. Do you have the same code? It's called the purge canister vent solenoid. Before you buy it, it's easy to check the solenoid with an ohm meter.

Back