Painted headlights black, no problem but now... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Painted headlights black, no problem but now...

NHarris

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Gillette, Wyoming
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 Wrangler, 08 Ranger
Hey all,
--I painted my headlights black back in november. No problem no moisture everything was good but now all of a sudden I have moisture, and fog building up in one of my headlight. Its only on the passenger side but the passenger side light was messed up from the day I bought the truck.
--Now is there any good option to get rid of the moisture? I've stripped all the sealant off and resealed them three times now, but it doesn't seem to help at all! :mad:

MODERATORS: I have used the search key and didn't find a good answer. Move if this is not in the appropriate section

Thanks in advance,
Nate

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Maybe moisture is coming in from where the bulb plugs into the back of the light? Maybe try to reseal after they dry out and put a O-RING or something around the base of the bulb. Good luck

Maybe moisture is coming in from where the bulb plugs into the back of the light? Maybe try to reseal after they dry out and put a O-RING or something around the base of the bulb. Good luck

That's what I would suspect

I thought about it overnight and figure with how chipped these headlights are, its just best to get a new set. The drivers side bulbs do not go in with out some force (the hole seems warped). The passenger side has a few cracks that I've sealed up.
If you look carefully you can see how pitted and chipped these lights are.
headlights.jpg

Ultimately new headlights are probably best.

One of mine did the same thing. Best I can figure, I let the paint dry in air that was too humid and it didn't dry properly.... I brought it inside to dry for a day or so and re-sealed it... It's been fine since, and there have been quite a few thunderstorms in my neck of the woods lately....

Its definately a possibility that is what happened.

I went ahead a bought a new set of headlights

Nate, what did you end up getting?

Nate, have you got the headlights installed? Any pics? How about a review?

Thanks! :D

Nate I'm looking forward to that install black headlights just look awesome on our X's

I hear alot of complaints about buying the housings on eBay about them getting moisture in them. I havent done mine yet, but I would reccomend adding a bead of silicon or something around it just to be safe:thumbsup:

My drivers side has gotten a little foggy once at the carwash, but I parked out in the sun and it dried up in a matter of minutes.

I hear alot of complaints about buying the housings on eBay about them getting moisture in them. I havent done mine yet, but I would reccomend adding a bead of silicon or something around it just to be safe:thumbsup:

My drivers side has gotten a little foggy once at the carwash, but I parked out in the sun and it dried up in a matter of minutes.

I will definately be putting some silicon around that. No matter where you buy the headlights from they all are made cheap and silicone is the last thing they want to waste there time with. Headlights should get here in a few days, hopefully by friday. :D

I would definetly re-seal any set of headlights with silicone. I see way to many aftrmarket headlight/taillights, on all kinds of vehicels, with moisture build up inside. I would not trust the way they are sealed. When I get a set of new lights I am going to seal the crap out of them. Oh yea I want to see some pics. Those headlights look sweet.

this happened to me when i first did them, i took apart again re-siliconed and added a bunch of crazy glue around all seems to ensure air tight. to get the moisture out bring inside put under a light and put one of those do not eat packages that you get with electronics. I know you already got new ones but i figured its useful to know. I ended up drilling a small hole on the bottom to drain moisture then resealed. i will be buying a pair from the junkyard and do it again because i will be adding a pair of halos along with painting black.

Well the headlights are at my house drying. I did put a bead of silicone on. They look freakin bad ass! Nice crystal clear lenses, they look way better than my old crappy stock ones. I'll try to upload some pics soon, they'll be up by tomorrow at latest.

A2.jpg

Installed

oldvnew.jpg

Comparison

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

looks good

Back