• Register Today It's free!

PATS

mrjody

Reaction score
City, State
como
Year, Model & Trim Level
98/00 xlt rangers
I was wondering how do you know the PATS is working or not working?
I swapped everything over to my ranger(2000 302 T5.Swap) and test "cranked " it.. clutch safety switch works as it should..
But when I get ready to fire it.. if the PATS is not working.. what will it do?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I swapped everything over to my ranger(2000 302 T5.Swap) and test "cranked " it.. clutch safety switch works as it should..
You started with an Explorer 2000 302 engine, do I understand correctly? Ford used several PATS schemes, the first being really stupid: If incorrect key inserted, PATS disabled the fuel injectors as I understand it, but still allowed the engine to crank. This meant the driver could suspect some fuel problem, if he checked for pressure, might crank until the battery was dead. They updated the scheme to disable the starter also, my 2004 has that...how do you know if PATS is working?

Turning an accepted key to "ON" makes the red PATS indicator light illuminate SOLID ON for about 10 seconds, then shuts off whether or not the engine has been started. An UNACCEPTED key will cause the light to flicker fast, on and off, and the engine will not crank.

Your owners manual, if you have one, might explain how your 2000 PATS works. I cannot be certain when they changed to my type.

Yes.. I used a 2000 explorer harness. What I did was I took the ignition key and transponder ring around the ignition, put in the ranger..also took the thing behind the glove box and put in the ranger.. so it all should be good.

I was just wondering once I get ready to start it, if the PATS acted up.. how would I know its engaged to theft and shuts the stuff down

the injectors will not fire
2000 Explorer pats disables the injectors.....crank crank crank all day long
However the THEFT light would be blinking rapidly letting you know there is an issue
The theft light should go off during cranking....that indicates a properly working PATS system is happy with the transponder key

Well I have no rapid blinking theft light.. so I must have done that part correctly correctly.

you did hook up the theft light? LOL LOL LOL LOL
I am sure you did Im just pokin fun

Ditto, make sure the THEFT light comes on and displays properly during the initial on and cranking process. If that works then you should check the fuel pressure and other fuel and ignition circuits. Check the inertia switch behind/below the glove box, put your finger in the top and be sure it's down fully. Be sure the connector to it is engaged, mine in my 98 comes out occasionally(truck was at some point in a body shop with lots of new parts etc, I think they didn't lay the wiring harness back in correctly(the inertia switch wires have no slack)).

On my 2000 Ranger with the key off the PATS light will blink on every few seconds.

What is "everything" you swapped over?

If you swapped the ECM, but are using the same original keys, they would not be programmed into the new ECM yet, or whichever separate security module if it is separate from ECM. If there is a separate security module, and it wasn't swapped, then some of what i wrote below may be incorrect and I don't know the interoperability between the separate modules and ECMs.

If you have NO keys already programmed into the new ECM, and don't have the keys that were programmed into it, you can use a windows host, forscan ("pro"? version) and an OBD2 dongle to program keys, or have a dealer or locksmith do it for your original keys. If you do have the keys that were for the donor vehicle that the new ECM came out of, in theory you could use those to program in your original keys for the ranger. You'd wrap foil around your original Ranger keyhead to block the chip in it, and hold the key head for the new ECM very close to the ignition ring, going into program mode you would do this for the two keys original to the new ECM, then when you get the chance to program in more keys, take the foil off your ranger original keys and put the new ECM keys aside. Heh, I hope that makes sense.

What vehicle did the new ECM come out of? Explorers, were injector disable from '98 till about '01, then starter disable after that, and IIRC some vehicles with European security setups, also had a fuel pump disconnect module at (near) the tank.

PATs does blink once every second or two in standby, key out of ignition. It comes on steady with key in and blinks fast if there is no progammed-in key detected.

If your fuel injectors are not firing you should be able to measure this with a multimeter.

What is "everything" you swapped over?

If you swapped the ECM, but are using the same original keys, they would not be programmed into the new ECM yet, or whichever separate security module if it is separate from ECM. If there is a separate security module, and it wasn't swapped, then some of what i wrote below may be incorrect and I don't know the interoperability between the separate modules and ECMs.

If you have NO keys already programmed into the new ECM, and don't have the keys that were programmed into it, you can use a windows host, forscan ("pro"? version) and an OBD2 dongle to program keys, or have a dealer or locksmith do it for your original keys. If you do have the keys that were for the donor vehicle that the new ECM came out of, in theory you could use those to program in your original keys for the ranger. You'd wrap foil around your original Ranger keyhead to block the chip in it, and hold the key head for the new ECM very close to the ignition ring, going into program mode you would do this for the two keys original to the new ECM, then when you get the chance to program in more keys, take the foil off your ranger original keys and put the new ECM keys aside. Heh, I hope that makes sense.

What vehicle did the new ECM come out of? Explorers, were injector disable from '98 till about '01, then starter disable after that, and IIRC some vehicles with European security setups, also had a fuel pump disconnect module at (near) the tank.

PATs does blink once every second or two in standby, key out of ignition. It comes on steady with key in and blinks fast if there is no progammed-in key detected.

If your fuel injectors are not firing you should be able to measure this with a multimeter.
2000 ranger/2000 explorer...
I took the ignition switch, key ring and key, computer, and the box behind the glove box and put it all in my 2000 ranger..

Are you missing spark or fuel pressure?

Are you missing spark or fuel pressure?
I'll know today. I only tested for fuel leaks and to make sure the it cranked over. Im hooking up the coils and wires today.. to see if it starts at the very least

Back