Peter's 1973 Ford Bronco | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Peter's 1973 Ford Bronco

The truck has gone to Danville to www.bigwheeloffroad.com for a roll cage, sliders, disks and alot of other stuff. Here it was all bundled up. I had a tarp on it because it was pouring, and the tarp stayed in tact till the rain let up, however there isn't much left of it now.
DSCN3388.JPG

DSCN3386.JPG

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Can't wait to see it in person next month :thumbsup:

Nice lookin bronco!

The way i see it, i can repair the paint from any local hardware store ;)
I can't wait to get it back, it should be nice by then

As for my tow.. This was my first haul for the dodge. I've got to say one thing. If ever towing, I'm sticking with diesel. It was an extremely easy tow with a 20mph head wind, and through it all, I still got about 15.5mpg towing at 65mph. I definately will be in the market for my own trailer come a year or so from now when money allows, but I hope it's heavier than the rental trailer, as the dodge did not even level out with this setup.

Brian1 said:
Looking really good so far. Hows the cage coming along? My buddies EB has just about the same paint scheme as yours :D

DSC00530.jpg

Man I need a full size diesel, I already have a flatbed I can steal from my dad but hes real picky about letting me take his F-250 Lariat across country, plus its a V-10 gas hog

Update?

Here's my latest few pics when i got the truck back, and as it sits now broken in the back yard.
cage:
DSCN34171.JPG

seats:
DSCN3419.JPG

today:
07-19-06-001.JPG

Heard about the axle deal you scored. Can't beat that! :thumbsup:

Yup, I will be at Cableguy's place on saturday doing the swap. I'm getting a drum brake 9in with a full spool and a hp44 with a lockright and 4.56's... It's going to be a nice setup when done.

taxx said:
Heard about the axle deal you scored. Can't beat that! :thumbsup:

Swap went well, got two newer axles and it's quite different now. Like a new truck! I've got to make a new track bar but other than that, she's all set. So it'll sit for a lil bit then I'll get around to making that.

Here's the past few days work. I installed a cd player. Need to make a box for the single 6x9 speaker going on the trans tunnel. I then moved the CB to the cross piece of the cage and mounted it with hose clamps. Works well, just need to loom the wires and get a longer antenna or move mine. Maybe I'll go duals ;)
DSCN3606.JPG

Also attempted to make a diff cover. I had some scrap metal and kinda pieced it together, kinda winged it. I could have done much better but wanted to get it done and over with.
DSCN3604.JPG

I will be making a new trac bar next week, and have a new list of projects for it over the winter. I will swap my newer tcase in, as mine is slipping out of gear. I also have a major steering problem. I can turn about 3 turns to the right, but only once to the left. Not good. I may just jump to full hydro. Also going tube the rear half in some fashion. Still not sure how, but I don't think I will have much by the way of fenders left...

Well, since I run my power steering and brakes off my p/s pump, it gets quite a bit hotter. So, as part 1 to combat that heat, I made a reservoir to hold additional fluid. Later, I will add a small radiator with fan installed to cool it further. The fluid does get hot enough that I can feel the brakes and steering get weak from the fluid thinning.
Here's the tank. It has 2 return lines at the top, and two feed lines at the bottom. Made it out of some scrap steel I had, and bought some air compressor fittings and welded them up. It has a twist top, which can then be secured by nuts. I also can seal the top if I want with gasket maker if necessary. The weight of this is so much, it wont hold up on my weak rusted inner fenders. When I get my new high pressure hydro lines back for the brakes, I will get the truck in the garage and begin tubing in a new radiator core, and run tube back to the fire wall, then to the cage. Should be pretty tough
DSCN3608.JPG

DSCN3609.JPG

I also got new tires. Well, new used tires that is. They're 36x13x16.5 Parnelli Jones Dirt grips.
DSCN3607.JPG

The best tire has maybe 1/4in tread left, but I paid nothing. Freebee... So I'll most likely mount 2 of them, keep one as a spare and trash the other. Then I'll just get 2 new pitbulls, and later replace the other to PJ's. These will be mounted on hummer rims which will be recentered and match my 5x5 1/2 lug pattern. For my needs, I will most likely get the 8 bolt wheels because they're much cheaper and easier to get.

Small update

I'm cutting out the floor now, to lower the seat bars on the cage, so my head isn't so close to getting crushed. This is gonna be a big project. Hopefully 2 weeks and it will be done.

Hey, just wondering if those 33" tires you have are possibly for sale?

Maybe. It all depends because I need it to roll on something, and right now, I have nothing else to put underneith it. Also, if I sell them, it will be a set of 5 with wheels, with an 33in A/T spare.

Hey, just wondering if those 33" tires you have are possibly for sale?

Here is how she sits today. Alot more tube, hummer wheels and some 36's!

DSCN4078.jpg

DSCN4085.jpg

Before she got covered, I got the front fenders hacked a bit. I found out one of the recentered hummer rims was not pressed in correctly and I've got a new one being shipped shortly. Beyond that, not much work till next month, when I tube the front end in. I hope to wheel 1 more time this year, depending on steering problems, but Christmas may bring me full hydro! :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back