Picked up a new project | Page 15 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Picked up a new project

Yes the computer does care about auto tos manual but it will only result in a steady check engine light and maybe a high idle until a 5 speed computer is found/swapped in

Yes you can use the early dash
85 cluster not the best to talk to a 4.0 but it will work. I prefer the 86-88 cluster

I had 93 engine with 93 wiring hooked to 88 dash any combo of dash and wiring is possible with a little know how

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes the computer does care about auto tos manual but it will only result in a steady check engine light and maybe a high idle until a 5 speed computer is found/swapped in

Yes you can use the early dash
85 cluster not the best to talk to a 4.0 but it will work. I prefer the 86-88 cluster

I had 93 engine with 93 wiring hooked to 88 dash any combo of dash and wiring is possible with a little know how

So everything is plug and play for the most part it's just matching all the pins correct

Plug and play in the engine bay maybe
But you will have to adapt the ranger body and dash and fuel wiring to match the 90 engine bay stuff

What year is that ranger 85? You will have to convert to efi fuel system
You will have to wire everything on the truck side as the bwp for the 90 style 4.0 wiring did not exist until 89

The 90 ohv wiring harness includes all the headlights marker lights etc I would keep all that stuff with the truck and strip it from the 90 harness. I would also consider a 93 engine bay harness as the 90 power dist box sucks

Not really plug and play except for where the 90 ohv harness meets the 93 engine

93’has no egr and no cam sensor so that is good

83-85 ranger carbed more difficult to swap over then 86-90 ranger w the 2.9 because the 2.9 was efi and super close to a gen 1 4.0 all that is missing from a 2.9 truck to be a 4.0 is distributor less ignition and mass air

So what year is your new ranger?85 I assume which is why you want to keep the cluster

It's the same Ranger in the beginning of this thread. We literally started this project almost 20 years ago. I'm starting to think it's easier to just find another full dinner and swap everything like I did the Navajo. Or say screw it and make it Electric, which could be kinda cool. Baby Lighting.

4.0 5 speed 1354m d35 8.8 done

4.0 5 speed 1354m d35 8.8 done

Yeah, I should have just kept the setup out of the Navajo, and swapped it over. But I sent the motor, trans and wiring all back to RJ so he could do a swap in his B2 at the time. Little did I know he would pass away soon after 😥.

Here's your plan for the Ranger. Nice paint and interior work, then slap a JY V8 and spray paint the underside, sell on BAT for $$$

I know @RockRanger has V8 Explorer lying around 😁 use that drivetrain and the Navajo front axle. Then paint job and bam....a pretty sick Ranger.

I have 7 rangers right now
A first gen sport, bronco ii and 3 sport tracs
We need more 4.0 and 5.0!!!

I could even be talked into including the 4406 tcase and shifter I have to make the whole thing be Part time 4wd with low range.

I just can't have another truck to rip apart right now. I have to finish the Navajo and still trying to figure out what direction to go with the Bronco. Thinking of selling it, but don't really want to.

I want to much out of it to sell it to you. 😅 But I would consider Sarahs Ranger as partial trade.

I love that Bronco, and I have a Arizona friend who is looking for one. Sarah is starting to think about upgrading to a full size truck so she can tow the horses around. I almost got her a V10 F250 last year the same Arizona friend had.

April will be getting her permit this summer, and I'm thinking a Ranger may be better for her then the Bronco.

April will be getting her permit this summer, and I'm thinking a Ranger may be better for her then the Bronco.
hmmmmm def not qualified as a fellow young person, but bronco would be real sick but in the long run i vote ranger......... or a corolla? cheap and easy to operate.... and i think it still comes with gen z theft prevention device

personally like the explorer, but in the long run might want to get something a bit newet down the line... but not till after i get work truck :D

Which is safer? Fsb or a ranger?
Then which is cheaper to insure?

If it was my kid those are first two questions third is which one fits less friends lol lol

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You need a hand me down car with a few dents and curb rashes rims. Sarah got our Volvo S60. Ran it into the ground for five years, then got the Ranger.

Ranger is leaking oil from just about all the standard Ford spots. Pan, main bearing seal, etc. I replaced the valve cover gasket a few years ago. It was more involved than changing the intake gaskets on the Explorer. Every wire, hose, everything, is attached to that valve cover. I think that's the only thing not leaking oil.

Transmission was rebuilt with Ford parts by a very reputable local transmission shop about 4-5 years ago. Everything but the oil leaks and broken door latch, it's been trouble free, and gutless.

Back