Pinging 97 5.0L | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Pinging 97 5.0L

Thread moved to 2nd gen ( 1995-2001) forum

I would also like to throw this in the kettle for stewing

When I dis assembled the stock engine in the Mounty, I discovered a "shifted" harmonic balancer. Due to the shift, the crank trigger was " advanced" compared to the actual crank position.

This would result in timing being advanced further than the PCM "thought" it was.

There is a keyway mark on the balancer-and you can easily tell if the vulcanized sleeve has shifted once it is removed.

Ya know... that might just be it Jon... when I have my 90 octane tune active, running 90 it pings, but running a tune a step down runs flawlessly.

I have a 99 Limited with the 5.0. 175k miles. Pinging has been an issue as well but only towing and heavy acceleration. My wife usually drives it and she has an eggshell foot so it hasnt really been a problem.

I did notice though the fuel mileage on highway was getting worse (not towing, 16 as opposed to 18-19 previously).

I just changed the MAF sensor and saw an immediate improvement - no pinging with regular unleaded and over 18 mpg highway. Some said to just clean the sensor, but I was able to source a lifetime warrantied MAF sensor online from a well-known retailer for under $80 (with an internet coupon and free shipping). 4 bolts, 1 clamp, 1 plug and less than 10 minutes to change it.

Hope that helps.

Back