Problem with the off-road terrain option ? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Problem with the off-road terrain option ?

akdubai

Reaction score
City, State
Dubai
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer 2012 Limited
Today my Explorer (2012 Limited Edition) got stuck in some thick sand, and the front left (driver side) tire was complete stuck in the sand.
But the other 3 wheels were not stuck as much while the read two wheel were on hard sand and seemed to have perfect traction as they were not slipping or spinning in the mud.
Whereas the front driver side wheel was spewing mud all over the place by spinning aimlessly.

What my real question is that, while the front wheel was spinning like a retard, the rear wheels that seemed to have a LOT of of traction and were not stuck at, were not able to pull out the car out the ditch. Isnt the car supposed to send more torque to the wheels with more traction?? And the car was on loose-terrain mode. The front wheels were spinning in the mud pretty comfortably, while the rear wheel seemed to get little to no power at all.
And as far my knowledge, the Explorer comes with a limited slip differential right, so how did the torque split not seem to occur. It was a simple pull for a powerful car like this one, since just one wheel was stuck in the sand.

It was really troublesome and time consuming for the fact that the car couldnt perform such an easy task of getting one wheel out the mud.

Did you try using all TMS options including Normal?

Peter

Yes. Tried the off road mode, the snow mode, and the normal mode as well. The power/torque split just didn't seem to happen.

Back