Project Double R... | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Project Double R...

Yes I have a issues I can't stop messing with these Fords. This is my personal project, but not my first SAS Ranger project built one for buddy and he helped me. Which was my 2nd Ford SAS my first Ford SAS was my DD Project Merc (98 Mercury Mountaineer 5.0 V8). Already have about 20k miles on the Merc in little over a year.
Merc build thread here...
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=303902

The first Ranger SAS was TNT here is pic...
00003_Capture_4.jpg

My new Ranger just picked up April 15th 92 Ranger 4.0L 4x4 bad tranny picked it up for $750. Truck has 159k and pretty rust free just a few spots here and there. Code name Rock Ranger otherwise know as Double R.
20120415_180945.jpg

20120415_163234.jpg

Already sold the 8.8 and bed off it. I will be keeping this one pretty simple very similar to TNT.
Things I will be doing...
Trussed Cherokee High pinion Dana 30/ Explorer disc brake 8.8 4.56 gears.
Flatbed
Exo cage
Bronco II tank
Chevy 63-64" leafs
Shorten wheel base to 110"
And a lot more. Should be starting this beast next week I hope. Depends how the new kitchen goes for the boss(my wife for those not married).

And for those wondering why the Dana 30 they are cheap and parts are easy to come by. Which is nice if you do need replacement parts. The Mercs D30 has held up to over 13 trails and 35s with beadlocks without breakage so I would say it is very good axle.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Love your build, but I can't resist:

TTIWWAD30.gif

:D

LOL it is all good. ;) Built the truck to be DD/weekend warrior/trail rig. You can drive it to work everyday get 16-17 mpg. Not something you can say about Dana 60 rig(unless it is a diesel). It has just as much pumpkin ground clearance as a D44 on 37s or D60 on 38s. Most guys get defensive when I tell them I am rocking a D30 they poof up there chest beat there man ***** and tell me why they needed a Dana 44 or 60 even though there Jeep spends more time in King Soopers parking lot then on the trail. If I was building the truck to be trailer queen I would have thrown some Super Duty axles (I can buy Duty axles for less then 400 for set at my favorite pull yard)under and called it a day. Also if I break a shaft I can goto any pull yard and get a set of shafts and unit bearings for 60 bucks(Merc hasn't broke a shaft yet 20k miles and over 15 trails so far still has stock puny weakling D30 shafts). Right now I can jump in this truck and drive to East coast or West coast and not even worry about a thing. That is what I love about this setup dependable and strong enough to get the job done. Not to mention affordable to fix. :D

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Had a little time this afternoon decided to tap my new F150 box for Double R.

20120614_150433.jpg

20120614_150929.jpg

JIC #6 / 1/4" NPT fittings installed...
20120614_154817.jpg

20120614_160215.jpg

Ready for install when I have time next couple days. :D
20120614_162500.jpg

Nice, love the pattern she chose for the floor too. That woman has good taste!:D

So I have put about 1500 miles on the truck so far. Thing is a beast drives great. PO really let things kinda fall apart on the poor old truck. Nothing major other then the trans(fixed most everything else so far). And now the radiator needs replacing(still works but weeps first thing in the morning until the plastic side tanks heat up and reseal I can just imagine it is time bomb though). Does anyone know a good replacement? The truck already has the same as the 91-94 Explorer since it came with air and auto. Thinking about using the 2nd Gen Explorer radiator and then just extending my bumper skid to protect it. Those are massive and should give me tons of cooling on the trail. Anyone know of a write up where someone has done that swap?

Here are few more pics of the beast.

In this pic I was testing out the hydro assist at 85 mph. Works great!
20120621_110902.jpg

And couple pics of when I walked out and seen the truck and it made me smile so I had to take a pic. LOL
20120617_174241.jpg

20120624_085133.jpg

Got the 2nd Gen in took one from 98 4.0 4 door auto with AC. Works like a charm and needle stays on the M of normal with AC on idling in 99 degree weather in my driveway. LOVE IT!!!!! Here are some pics.

Here is the stock Ranger(two row biggest stock one you can get) radiator next to the 2nd gen Explorer radiator...
20120625_152935.jpg

If you are doing a SAS this radiator fits great!!!
20120625_163417.jpg

Lower hose reaches just fine. You have to cut out that retarded steering skid thing to make this fit.
20120625_171241.jpg

As you can see the Radiator sits well above my bumper skid so I don't even have to change anything with the skid.
20120625_171121.jpg

And the engine running all the lines fit like a glove. Just had to move a wire harness out of the way nothing major just unbolt the hangers and push it over enough to bolt up the radiator. You will have to drill a couple new holes over inch since the new radiator is wider. Also if you look at the pic above you will have to cut some of those plastic wings off the new radiator since they stick out too far. Right now I have just the uppers holding it seems to be strong enough but I am going back to the JY and getting the rubber isolators and will use those to support the new radiator on the frame more pics when I get that done.
20120625_172817.jpg

Wow I missed a lot of this thread, and I have to say your ranger is not the beast you are. I wish I had a better paying job and could buy a truck to build, oh and more space to work.

Thanks!
Wow I missed a lot of this thread, and I have to say your ranger is not the beast you are. I wish I had a better paying job and could buy a truck to build, oh and more space to work.

Thanks! Yeah it is a lot work but I enjoy it. It is nice being self employed and I kinda found a nice nitch here working on 8.8 Explorer axles and regearing. Keeps me busy. I made my last car payment last Summer so most of my money now is play money. When I moved to CO 5 years ago I never imagined I would be doing this for a living. But it has been awesome. :)

Worked on the truck a little today getting it ready for Holy Cross. Found a Ranger emblem at the JY and got the winch hooked up. Picked up a tool box for the back too.

20120627_150115.jpg

20120627_171315.jpg

20120627_172132.jpg

20120627_182012.jpg

Works like a champ!
20120627_181508.jpg

Back