Project TNT... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Project TNT...

Project Torque 'N' Teal(factory paint color). 92 Ford Ranger 4.0L 5 speed(customers rig and he has been helping me). This will probably the first of many SAS swap Rangers. Already have two more lined up after this one. :biggrin: Let's get to the goodies.

Short bed regular cab. Wheeling friend 107 inch wheel base.
IMAG0232.jpg

First order of business Explorer disc brake 8.8 axle swap, 4.56 gears, E locker, and Riddler cover...
IMAG0233.jpg

Next we picked up some monster 63 inch( about 6 inches long then stock) Chevy 1500 leaf springs 40 bucks at the JY for a set. We decided we wanted mad flex.
IMAG0237.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

We had to move the bed to make it easier to move the front spring hanger.
IMAG0245.jpg

Brackets new location...
IMAG0247.jpg

Now the back was sitting back on rear axle we move to the front. Here are some of the parts...
IMAG0250.jpg

Frame bracket fabbed up...
IMAG0258.jpg

Pass side lower long arm mocked up...
IMAG0261.jpg

Drivers side low loose fit. You can see even the stock drive shaft reaches...
IMAG0262.jpg

This is so much easier then the Merc that there is a good chance it will road worthy by next week. Only major things I have left are upper arm for the front Y link, track bar, steering(it already has steering box just have to build the links and drill out for 5/8" bolts), and sway bars.

More pics today.
IMAG0266.jpg

Coil retainers done on the top...
IMAG0267.jpg

Sitting on tires checking ride height. Going to try some different coils.
IMAG0268.jpg

The rear is 4 inches lower right now but should be 3 inches higher after new shackles and the perches are changed to raised anti warp perches.
IMAG0269.jpg

Track bar...
IMAG0271.jpg

IMAG0272.jpg

Steering...
IMAG0273.jpg

IMAG0274.jpg

IMAG0275.jpg

Pretty close to being done. Need a few parts for the brakes and some bolts. Figure out the shocks. But that stuff is all easy. Right now I have between 10-12 hours in the front. Has to be one the easiest SAS there is.

...Any pictures of the rear anti axle wrap perches?

..Looks like you already got some pretty tall blocks in the rear..What are you swapping in?

..I guess I'm not seeing what you are using for the anti axle wrap..:dunno:

..I am curious as I'm also running the chebby springs but with no overload on them..The Detroit wants to wrap the springs and I'm keeping an eye out on solutions as they come up..

..Great to see another Ranger gettin some lovin'..:biggthump

The anti wrap perches are almost 3 inches longer then stock perches. So they help keep the leafs from wrapping. They work good on the Merc. Merc has 4.88s, Detroit, and being pushed by a 5.0 V8.

..Ok..Gotcha now..

..I thought you were doing a link set up..:confused:..Those look like a Currie product..Where did you find them/price/etc..?

..I got lucky with my guess..:D

...Currie also makes some killer shock tabs for the 8.8 ..;)

..I got lucky with my guess..:D

...Currie also makes some killer shock tabs for the 8.8 ..;)

You got lucky or maybe you saw the pic above with all the parts and a box that says Currie on it. ROFLMAO!!!! Subliminal message... :rolleyes:;)

I have a plasma cutter so I make my own shock tabs. Ballistic Fab makes some good ones too.

I have used them before on a few axles not that impressed since about there are about 100 companies now making stronger versions of them. I build 8.8 axles for Jeeps at my shop the ones I use for the Wranglers are way stronger then those.

I build 8.8 axles for Jeeps at my shop the ones I use for the Wranglers are way stronger then those.

...That's ok...We won't hold it against you..:p:

4.88s in today and everything hooked up minus shocks and sway bar. Austin(owner) was having fun driving around the parking lot until he blew a fuel line and lost all fuel pressure. But great day we got a ton done. Just little more work and she will be road worthy.
IMAG0306.jpg

IMAG0308.jpg

IMAG0309.jpg

IMAG0310.jpg

He was happier then a pig in mud. LOL
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9uDxJadKCY

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Way cool!!

What did you use (specs) for the RA's themselves? I see the bags of 3/4" joints for the TRE's, are the joints for the RA's 1" BF johnny's?

Have you ever used the Super 88 kit for the 8.8? I am tossing the idea of getting it.

Back