Question for those needing a lower steering shaft for an Explorer. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Question for those needing a lower steering shaft for an Explorer.

dani9678

Reaction score
City, State
Jacksonville, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Explorer 4wd 4.0
I came across the following parts site looking for a lower steering shaft for a 1995 Explorer 4WD. The following link will take you to the part diagram along with the part I am referring too. The price is $58 and I figured that was to good to be true. I later found that they were referring to the lower shaft minus the universal joint. Isn't the lower shaft and the joint made as one piece? Take a look at the link and tell me what you think. Number 6 is the part that I am looking at. I need the universal because the boot has gone bad and it now gets stiff unless I keep adding a spray lube to it.

Matt

http://www.parts.com//oemcatalog/in...=1995&catalogid=2&graphicID=MF95270&callout=6

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What did you end up doing?

I'm in the same boat, was wondering how you resolved this. thanks

I haven't yet. I've just been continuing to spray down the joint with pb blaster garage door lube every time it starts to get stiff.

Matt

i bet you can get a good replacement that doesn't bind at the Junkyard, and for alot less money,

Yeah I guess for as long as the rubber boot lasts which if pulled from a parts yard and depending on the age of the Explorer then it's days are pretty much numbered once the rubber boot splits and moisture gets inside.. I wonder if there is a product out there that can soften and rejuvenate stiff rubber and make it pliable again? If there is then it would be an even much better buy because then you could use the stuff on the boot before you install the used joint so that it doesn't split on you like a CV-axle boot shortly after putting it in.

Ultra Black is great for sealing and staying pliable. Once it sticks and the parts don't come apart like a moving crack, it's permanent.

Well if you consider swapping out the lower shaft, u joint, intermediate shaft and connector is easily $500 new, you can probably replace with bone yard parts ten times for the same money. Only question is how long they last before you do it again...
How much time is it to change out the shaft, a couple of hours?

I would grab 3 or 4 junyard shafts and rebuild them

tear the boot off and clean and inspect the joint

then soak in alcohol to remove all the old moisture and grease, WD40 to temporarily seal out moisture, then pack with grease

then get a new boot, or make one and fill the boot with grease

no more moisture

(this is just a theory, i havent dealt with steering shafts yet, but RC truck u-joints are similar)

follow this path in the above URL - you will see you can buy them separately:
Steering Column/Shaft and Internal Components/Mainshaft

I'm confused because in some illustrations it looks like there are three shafts - upper, lower and intermediate. In others there is only the upper and lower.
Is some the lower joint comes with the lower shaft, in others it does not.
Is this due to tilt wheel option? Anyone know?

Following. I have a 08 mountaineer I bought used 3 years ago. Steering shaft has been causing me problems for about a year. Just can't afford the new parts with everything else going wrong on this truck . Husband was wondering if he could take it out. Clean it up. Replace the boot and drill a hole so he could put a grease fitting on it.

Following. I have a 08 mountaineer I bought used 3 years ago. Steering shaft has been causing me problems for about a year. Just can't afford the new parts with everything else going wrong on this truck . Husband was wondering if he could take it out. Clean it up. Replace the boot and drill a hole so he could put a grease fitting on it.
I used fluid film to repair mine.

Back