Rattling when accelerating | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rattling when accelerating

No he said the complete set. He said get the whole timing chain set which I found for 100 bucks at autozone. I work with him at my job

Your mechanic thinks you have an OHV motor, you do not.

Please be advised... THIS JOB CAN NOT BE DONE FOR $200. $2000 is more like it. It's a huge job. If you're going to replace the timing chain components use Motorcraft parts, not cheap Chinese AutoZone parts, or you're just wasting your money.

Because we can't examine, or listen to your engine, you might be better off taking it to Ford and paying the diagnostic fee. Then you'll know that you're fixing the correct problem.

I'm just going to sell it. But can y'all tell me why the rattle goes away after some time

Could be the tensioners. They are replaceable but with higher mileage the plastic cassettes break down. When you replace the hydraulic tensioners the higher pressure of the new ones tends to shatter the plastic and you are SOL. Only way to know is to pull the valve covers and have a look. If its *****ed already, couldn't hurt. If you are going to do the work of replacing the chains you have to change the tensioners anyway.

Back