• Register Today It's free!

Rear-End Driver's Side Sag

J.J. Bishop

Reaction score
City, State
Johns Island
Year, Model & Trim Level
'05 Sport Trac XLT
So a few weeks back I twisted the torsion bar on my '05 ST (160,000 miles) to level it out. Truck sat fine, driver's side sat 35 1/2' to top of wheel well and passenger side sat 36', didn't get an alignment afterwards. Then a few days back, I noticed that my rear driver side looked lower than the rest, measured it, and its barely sitting over 34 1/2 inches. Any idea what may have caused this? Was it anything I did/didn't do or has something else underneath broken or worn down (leafs, shackles, etc.)? Any help would be great. Thanks.

Nothing unusual, usually takes a few days of driving to settle. Another factor is the difference between an empty and full fuel tank is at least 1/2" or more, especially with a weakened drivers side leaf spring. Unless the front left and right sides are perfectly even, many people have adjusted the opposite front corner to lift or lower the rear. Front right down = rear left up, etc. Also make sure you are measuring on level ground. Keep in mind any time torsion bolts are adjusted, camber and toe will change and you should have alignment checked. Installing camber kits "may" also be needed for proper alignment. If the "Ranger lean" existed before you did the TT, the best fix would be replacing leaf springs. Other less effective options would be swapping leaf sides, add-a-leaf, dearching, or possibly Monroe 58617 load adjusting shocks.

Nothing unusual, usually takes a few days of driving to settle. Another factor is the difference between an empty and full fuel tank is at least 1/2" or more, especially with a weakened drivers side leaf spring. Unless the front left and right sides are perfectly even, many people have adjusted the opposite front corner to lift or lower the rear. Front right down = rear left up, etc. Also make sure you are measuring on level ground. Keep in mind any time torsion bolts are adjusted, camber and toe will change and you should have alignment checked. Installing camber kits "may" also be needed for proper alignment. If the "Ranger lean" existed before you did the TT, the best fix would be replacing leaf springs. Other less effective options would be swapping leaf sides, add-a-leaf, dearching, or possibly Monroe 58617 load adjusting shocks.
Thanks!

Back