rebuilt my tranny same issues,plz help | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

rebuilt my tranny same issues,plz help

motox737

Reaction score
City, State
iowa
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 ford ranger 3.0 4x4
I have a 99 ranger with 3.0 and 4x4. when I bought the truck it wouldn't drive in overdrive or in 1 manual. if I put the truck in 2 manual to take off then shift into od I could drive normally. until I slowed down or stopped. so after much reading of this awesome forum I decided to rebuild the valve body replace all solenoids and rebuild tranny with new seals orings clutches bands and servos. I put all back together with much diligence only to have the same issues. so I decided to do a pressure test which showed good pressure in all ranges at idle. now when I performed the stall test all rpms were too high except in 2 manual.so the only thing left is to rebuild the pump, correct? any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. thank you much

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

also I replaced the torque converter

I know that tough, all that work and nothing.

A failed or flipped low sprag or stripped splines at the rear ring gear to shaft.

These kinds of failures can be easily overlooked because they don't look broken. The low sprag can roll over and not damage anything just it cant work like that, and the rear ring gear can strip the splines to the shaft, this will cause very little metal that the filter can handle and the missing splines can look machined, because it was. :eek:

Its not a pump problem, its going to have to come back out and completely apart, something in the bottom is not connected.

even though it still drives, something is not connected? I know its gonna come back out...was just hoping I didn't have to tear all the way down....but im sure you have more knowledge than I do! so thanx and ill keep posting as im sure I will have more questions.

anyone have any other suggestions?

The rear one way sprag could fail just like any other hard part. Do you have an ATSG rebuild manual? It outlines the test procedures for each part during the assembly process. Did you test the range sensor? This is an external electrical part on the driver's side of the transmission.

yes I have the manual. no I didn't test range sensor. is there a procedure anywhere ? I have the tranny back out of the truck. so I will test range sensor and if that's ok I will start tearing it down again and check the spag. what will I be looking for on it? and thanx for your time.

Back