red.EDDIE.4x4's Explorer Registry | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

red.EDDIE.4x4's Explorer Registry

Name: Tyler
Truck: 1993 Eddie Bauer Explorer

welp...this is my baby. got her in the fall of 2007 as a gift from an elderly woman at my church. she bought it right off the showroom floor when it was brand new, and she kept it in excellent condition. the only real driving she did was to church, grocery store, and to the flower shop (which she put a tarp in the back so no dirt would get in the carpet). when i got her she had a whopping 54k on the odometer! and of course the paint was in scratch less.

just after a fresh coat of black on the grill and the wipers.
IMG00703.jpg

aint she beautiful?
IMG00718.jpg

now comes lift time!

what its got:
Suspension/Brakes:
Rough Country 4 inch lift
1.5 inch coil seats
SOA
Warn Manual hubs
Sway bar disconnects
new brakes all around
disk 8.8 from an 01'
4.88 gears not locked

Eengine/Trans:
Rebuilt A4LD with shift kit
Manual mod for electric bw1354 (check my sig)
fully rebuilt 4.0- bored to 3.992, comp cam, new heads, new bottom end, smith bros push rods
motorcraft plugs
9 mm wires
TB mod/cable mod
air box mod into fender well
hi flow cat (straight thru)
flowmaster 40
2.5 inch side pipe.

Tires/Wheels
33x12.5x15 Firestone A/Ts
Cragar soft 8s

Lighting
4x100 watt floods on top
2x55 watt rear flood lights
red LED interior lights under all the seats
stockers...

Electronics
Dual 100 watt FM/CD/USB/iPod/Aux stereo
4 Alpine type S speakers
stock jbl amps
10" kicker comp
custom ported fibreglass stealth sub enclosure.
Cobra 19 III CB/PA
30 watt PA horn
6 switch, switch board in center console
2 pillar mount gauges, water temp and vacuum.
2 dash mount gauges, oil pressure and trans temp

Cargo
48" highlift (mounted in cargo area)
total of 60 feet of cable, chain, and strap
good ol' come-a-long:)
big cross lug wrench
shovel
spare tire (33x12.5 BFG M/T)
misc tools, sockets, and 1 3/8 wrench (under drivers seat within reach);)
gallon of 10w-30
few quarts of ATF
gloves
case of water bottles
change of clothes

shes my DD so thats about it...nothin too crazy:exporange...

liftin her up
IMG00744.jpg

IMG00743.jpg

IMG00754.jpg

IMG00769.jpg

IMG00778.jpg

IMG00780.jpg

IMG00803.jpg

IMG00831.jpg

roof rack time!
why pay nearly 500 for something when you can make it for 50!
IMG01071.jpg

IMG01078.jpg

IMG01105.jpg

IMG01205.jpg

the stereo system
had a nice alpine deck...got stolen due to the lack of security system. now im runnin the cheapie dual deck at wally world.
but heres my custom sub enclosure powered by the stock amps.
IMG01164.jpg

IMG01168.jpg

IMG01175.jpg

IMG01182.jpg

IMG01200-1.jpg

this is it for now. but ive got some big plans when mid july comes. ill let you guys see what im talkin about. ;)

Thanks guys! :salute: happy trails.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Problem with the stock location is that it doesn't see as much movemet as the sway bar part does. I was going to modify it like Maniak did, but I didn't have that much time. This will just get me by till I do my SAS

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

I'm not sure exactly. I never could really see any good that my sway bar did. I know what they are suppose to do...but mine didnt do it's job. I really like how stiff it is now, it doesn't rock back and forth now when I pull in the driveway. When I go of of a curb it doesnt sit there and go up and down for 10 years...only real "issue" is the shock clearing the drag links at full lock. Which it doesnt now, but it does get really close to it.

not much to update, but i installed the police light in the A pillar....
motor seems to be running just fine. valve train is a little noisy tho, but i guess thats just what the 4.0 does with aftermarket parts.
my oil pressure seems to be REALLY low. on a cold start my cheapo mechanical gauge tells me its making 50-60 lbs of pressure, not bad. then once it warms up it goes down to about 12 lbs at idle, bad. i cant quite determine if its the gauge or if its the oil pump itself. ill try the gauge first and of course im kicking myself now for NOT changing out the oil pump for an aftermarket one...

ol' Bruce also needs all new shocks and to have rear shock mounts relocated to a better place. Bilstein 5125s are in order since those RC shocks took a dump. but itll have to be awhile since i went over budget on my engine build and im a poor college student. :thumbdwn:

i was planning on throwing a d44 under the front, at some point but that is now at a stand still as well. ive actually been lookin for a decent zuk samurai...dont hate :p:
mine gets low too but thats why i tell everyone to use the hv mellings pump.that cam makes the valve train even louder.also why would you do only a 410 cam,should have went 422.if you think it pulls with that setup you would have loved the 422 and 95tm heads!!! 50 is pretty big to bore it out to but the first gen 90tm block will handle it all day as long as you dont use nos or go FI

ok. well i got some stuff done....this next pic is for you Xeek.
pully should work. belt doesnt seem too tight either.
1DSC00002113.jpg

1DSC00001113.jpg

look at all that room! only thing else that i will be adding is the factory air box with a little mod im doing.
1DSC0000613.jpg

this is my experiment for the cooling system. im using a 4.0 manual trans radiator. only difference is that is a single core design which means the transmission lines that go into the radiator are cut and modified. meaning, that my engine and transmission fluids will no longer be fighting each other to warm up or stay cool. i have two trans coolers in the front.
1DSC0000513.jpg

1DSC0000413.jpg

im surprised someone hasnt tried this already. ill also be using an HHR fan and ill see how that does.

got the motor fully bolted in, wiring harness all plugged in, exhaust Y pipe bolted in and a few other random things.

major items still on the list are the electric fan, my air box mod, electronic accessory wiring

if i was you i would get a trans temp gauge.just those two coolers up front might not keep it cool enough when wheeling.also that is when the hhr doesnt keep the motor cool enough.i run a manual trans custom alum radiator with the ac radiator as a trans cooler,an aftermarket trans cooler all most the size of the ac one and the stock front trans cooler.a4ld HATE heat.great build so far though,looks sweet:D

mine gets low too but thats why i tell everyone to use the hv mellings pump.that cam makes the valve train even louder.also why would you do only a 410 cam,should have went 422.if you think it pulls with that setup you would have loved the 422 and 95tm heads!!! 50 is pretty big to bore it out to but the first gen 90tm block will handle it all day as long as you dont use nos or go FI

if i was you i would get a trans temp gauge.just those two coolers up front might not keep it cool enough when wheeling.also that is when the hhr doesnt keep the motor cool enough.i run a manual trans custom alum radiator with the ac radiator as a trans cooler,an aftermarket trans cooler all most the size of the ac one and the stock front trans cooler.a4ld HATE heat.great build so far though,looks sweet:D

i only did the 410 cam because it was the easiest and most practical option, trying to find 93 gas here is a joke and i didnt want to mess with more machining and dual valve springs. im totally happy with what ive got now, anything is better then two cracked heads....

i am running a trans temp gauge, the B&M kit. and its actually MUCH cooler then when i had the trans running thru the radiator. temps stay around 100* all day long, as for the chev fan...its ok...this summer in 110* heat it ran around 200 or 210* and this winter it ran around 180-190. your trans temps must be in the negatives with all those coolers!

i only did the 410 cam because it was the easiest and most practical option, trying to find 93 gas here is a joke and i didnt want to mess with more machining and dual valve springs. im totally happy with what ive got now, anything is better then two cracked heads....

Do you mean that a 410 cam and 95tm heads DOESN'T require 93 octane fuel? Or do you have stock replacement heads?

93 octane shouldn't be hard to find in Tulsa.... I grew up there and I always seemed to find it. Granted with the prices nearing $4/ gal again, it's not worth it.

Do you mean that a 410 cam and 95tm heads DOESN'T require 93 octane fuel? Or do you have stock replacement heads?

93 octane shouldn't be hard to find in Tulsa.... I grew up there and I always seemed to find it. Granted with the prices nearing $4/ gal again, it's not worth it.

I just went with 410 can and new factory heads, that doesn't require any special fuel, I just dump 87 in there anyway. The 422 cam and 95tm heads do however require 93 fuel. My ex is a DD when to work and I'd rather not pay any more for gas then I have to. The only places that have 93 are shell gas stations, but the prices are still like 3.89 compared to the regular 87 at QT that's 2.98

For jd
a3faa36d.jpg

cf9a160a.jpg

Took these last night after driving around town for over an hour

Duals! split after the flowmaster 40 series. And some mangaflow tips. Sounds great with the comp cam and the other mods
9b693e2f.jpg

011704d5.jpg

Will do mr cribb, my next post will be of a video. I'll tape my iPhone to my rear bumper and go on a drive in the neighborhood. But I did this today, out of boredom.
cde4ae5e.jpg

exhaust video!n sorry for the wait guys.
th_14d6488e.jpg

i noticed that i had some water under the carpet in the back as well and it started to grow mold. so i fixed it.
f406b287.jpg

then went the whole 9 yards.
7ed61c54.jpg

then went the extra mile.
dfb3222e.jpg

thats only 1 coat of Herculiner. im actually waiting on it to dry now so i can go ahead and throw one more on there. so far i like it!

oh and heres a light bar/bumper i made for an XJ
1e28d59e.jpg

Thanks man! I'm in the serious debate now on if I should convert it to a 4x4 prerunner...seeing now that everybody in Tulsa drives a lifted Tahoe or jeep of some sorts...I have yet to see a prerunner. So that's what I'm looking into now.
But I changed out the Tstat to a mr.gasket 160*. Runs so much colder now, the HHR fan keeps it cold. This is what my temps are like on a 65* day
dbe28ebb.jpg

And due to the colder temps, this is what I run as oil pressure now
c55f1e47.jpg

And on a hotter 80* day it has yet to push 170

I finally listened to your video, sounds better than mine.... Now I know what I need to do. :)

hahah thanks man, the only thing i dont like about it...is under a load around 1600-1900 rpm it sounds too nasty. im thinking about going to a super 44 to hush it a bit in that rpm range. however, i really love how it sounds at idle. almost like a 302...

Nice looking truck!

Just wondering what happened to the thread about your manual conversion?

Nice looking truck!

Just wondering what happened to the thread about your manual conversion?

Thanks man!

Ah the manual conversion thread...well...long story short it was shut down because my buddy who makes the shifters and wanted me to advertise for him didn't want to pay the vender membership fee. Thus Rick shut it down. But you can still buy them. Just send me a pm if your interested

Back