Remove intact rear quarter window glass (nonmoveable) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Remove intact rear quarter window glass (nonmoveable)

FlyingV3152

Reaction score
City, State
TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Explorer XLT 5.0
I have searched the forum about this and didn't come up with anything related to my question. So, I apologize in advance if this has been posted before and for the double post (I guess I clicked post one too many times lol). Anywho.. About a week ago I was run off the road and into a ditch by another car coming into my lane. When that happened, the pipe I use with my breaker bar decided to hop out of the box in the back of my truck then shattered the very back passenger side window (my truck is a 4 door and it's not the hatch window). I want to replace the rear glass with one from another explorer. My question is, has someone removed that piece of glass while still intact or know if the foam butyl might prevent the window from being removed? The workshop manual says you can do it but I didn't want to waste my time and money on trying to remove that piece of glass just to have it shatter while I'm trying to remove it. I would greatly appreciate any advice or experiences anyone has had on this matter. Thank you!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My rear cargo side window was, I think, shot with a BB gun. Totally shattered. I just bought black Gorilla duct tape, and applied it to both sides. Kept it whole until I sourced a use piece from a local junkyard, and kept it together during removal.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums...rter-glass-interchange-with-what-years.328541

Awesome! That is what I was hoping to hear. Thank you! Been looking around on Craigslist for someone parting out an explorer closer to me than the closest pull-a-part lol. Hopefully I can find one soon. Now the gorilla tape, was it hard to get off the paint or did you protect it before you put it on there?

Now the gorilla tape, was it hard to get off the paint or did you protect it before you put it on there?

I didn't plan for it to be on there long, so didn't protect the paint. I might have just trimmed it to the window's border on the outside though.

If the junkyard window didn't quite match, I didn't care. I just wanted to get something installed. I think I paid $68 for that one. If it didn't match though, I was just going to hit a pick-a-part yard at some point. I think their price would have been $35.

The hardest part of the job was pry getting the interior cargo panel out of the way.

Here is a warning about using Gorilla duct tape. Extended time in heat/sun turns the adhesive into a goopy mess. So protect your paint with some masking tape, layers of car wax, painter's tape, or whatever you think might work...

I didn't plan for it to be on there long, so didn't protect the paint. I might have just trimmed it to the window's border on the outside though.

If the junkyard window didn't quite match, I didn't care. I just wanted to get something installed. I think I paid $45 for that one. If it didn't match though, I was just going to hit a pick-a-part yard at some point. I think their price would have been $35.

The hardest part of the job was pry getting the interior cargo panel out of the way.

Here is a warning about using Gorilla duct tape. Extended time in heat/sun turns the adhesive into a goopy mess. So protect your paint with some masking tape, layers of car wax, painter's tape, or whatever you think might work...

Cool deal! Yeah I'm not sure as to how long it'll take me to get a new window because my windows have that mirror tint windows from the back doors to the hatch. It would bug me so much if my windows didn't match lol.

I looked at the pull-a-part close to me and it's $40 before tax which isn't bad but I would have to drive an hour just to see if the window matched. Unless I got lucky and found a truck with the same or close to the year and make of my truck. Going to do more research on where I can buy windows at before I do anything.

I kinda thought the gorilla tape would do that because it is kinda the same looking material as the original duct tape. I don't know if I'll use gorilla tape because I don't have a passenger mirror not a rear view mirror. So having that back window blacked out wouldn't make things any easier lol. I'm going to try packing tape and some vinyl stickers to protect the paint.

Thank you for all the info! It helped me figure things out for sure.

I used the Gorilla duct tape because it's thick. I am pretty sure I applied multiple layers inside and out.

I am guessing that 91-97 Explorer bronze tinted glass might be the same throughout that time span :dunno: but...

• different shades of bronze :dunno:
  • mirrored and non-mirrored versions :dunno:
  • different "frames" for the glass :dunno:

I used the Gorilla duct tape because it's thick. I am pretty sure I applied multiple layers inside and out.

I am guessing that 91-97 Explorer bronze tinted glass might be the same throughout that time span :dunno: but...

• different shades of bronze :dunno:
  • mirrored and non-mirrored versions :dunno:
  • different "frames" for the glass :dunno:

That is another debate I am having with myself lol. Which tape to use.. Probably going to start with the packing tape and see how that goes. Shoot I wouldn't care if it was a shade or two different from what I have now. I just didn't want it to be one non mirror tint window in the back because then I'd probably end up replacing all the mirror tint windows in the back. The into reason for that is because it's easier to find the non mirror tint windows for my truck. I kinda like the mirror tint though. You don't see that much anymore mainly because I think they outlawed it in most states here. I am not sure about the 1st gen trucks matching my window specs. Now correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that most of the 2nd gen 4 door trucks back window specs should fit perfectly with mine. It's just finding one where I don't have to cross state lines to get one is my only problem right now lol.

Gorilla makes a clear duct tape, I think...

Gorilla makes a clear duct tape, I think...

Really? I have never seen that before then again I don't exactly go shopping everyday for clear gorilla tape lol. I'll have to look into that. I think I am going to go with the black gorilla tape and see if I can't get my side mirror to go back onto it's mount because it was just the glass that fell out. It's cracked but still better than no mirror. That'll get me by till I can go get a replacement glass. They are pretty cheap to but at AutoZone.

You can get duct tape goo off with gasoline and a soft towel. It will strip off wax so rewax the area if desired.

You can get duct tape goo off with gasoline and a soft towel. It will strip off wax so rewax the area if desired.

I have heard that before. Never tried it cause that stuff is like liquid gold Lol. I have heard goo gone works well. Just make sure you're not using the goo gone that removes paint.

Goo gone is a petroleum distillate with some fruit oil mixed in IIRC, to make it evaporate slower,hold the goo in suspension, and smell nice. You could add motor oil to gas to achieve the same thing, or I just use some pre-mix 2 cycle gas, or use kerosene or diesel. Gas works just as well and costs a fraction of what goo gone does. I just don't like to use it indoors.

Goo gone is a petroleum distillate with some fruit oil mixed in IIRC, to make it evaporate slower,hold the goo in suspension, and smell nice. You could add motor oil to gas to achieve the same thing, or I just use some pre-mix 2 cycle gas, or use kerosene or diesel. Gas works just as well and costs a fraction of what goo gone does. I just don't like to use it indoors.

Well I didn't know any of that. Thank you! Will definitely be looking more into using those methods in the future. I put down some vinyl before the duct tape but I used too much tape in some areas. Luckily it's all under the black weather stripping attached to the glass.

Hopefully, when it comes time to remove it, it will as easy as mine was. The factory butyl material didn't adhere it in like a caulk-like material would have. I think when I removed mine, I just loosened all the nuts on the glass' frame posts until they were almost off, and then pushed the window out around the perimeter. That way, the whole thing had less tendency to flex, fold, or completely fall out. After the window was completely pushed out, I ran a couple strips of the Gorilla tape on the window up onto the body. That way, I could remove the nuts from the posts inside, and not have the thing fall out. Then just peel back those strips, remove the whole thing, and toss it into the trash.

You'll need some rubbing alcohol to remove the remnants of the OEM butyl material from the body, and from the used replacement.

OP, where in TN are you? I have a 93 Limited with a similar mirror tint on the glass. I will change my two quarter glass pieces at some point with 99 Limited glass I have had since I bought the 99 truck, and rebuilt it. If you were close I could make a point to change it sooner, if the glass matched for you. I don't know if the quarter glass is identical from 91-97, or if 95-97 is unique. I think they are the same shape(outer rubber molding shape), but check on that.

OP, where in TN are you? I have a 93 Limited with a similar mirror tint on the glass. I will change my two quarter glass pieces at some point with 99 Limited glass I have had since I bought the 99 truck, and rebuilt it. If you were close I could make a point to change it sooner, if the glass matched for you. I don't know if the quarter glass is identical from 91-97, or if 95-97 is unique. I think they are the same shape(outer rubber molding shape), but check on that.

That would help me out a lot. I live in Sevier county near Gatlinburg. I don't mind a bit to drive to get this glass as well.

That would help me out a lot. I live in Sevier county near Gatlinburg. I don't mind a bit to drive to get this glass as well.

Funny, I list Dollywood as my location on some forums, I work in Sevier County.

Find out if your 96 quarter windows are shaped just like the 91-94's, and post a picture of your truck(the mirror look). There are more than a couple of glass tints in those years. Mine aren't a hard super shiny glass, it's a mild mirror finish.

This is my 99/93 Limited from 2007 when I finished the rebuild. Below it is another stock 93/94 that shows the look of the glass better.

SOHC1stDay.JPG

Stock94Limited01.jpg

Funny, I list Dollywood as my location on some forums, I work in Sevier County.

Find out if your 96 quarter windows are shaped just like the 91-94's, and post a picture of your truck(the mirror look). There are more than a couple of glass tints in those years. Mine aren't a hard super shiny glass, it's a mild mirror finish.

This is my 99/93 Limited from 2007 when I finished the rebuild. Below it is another stock 93/94 that shows the look of the glass better.

View attachment 98506

View attachment 98507

Well then that works out perfectly. Shoot you have probably seen my truck round town. It sticks out like a turd in a punch bowl lol. The mirror finish looks perfect and I couldn't find anything on the measurement sizes but they look exactly the same. Do you care to on me on how much you'd want and all that good stuff?

I think maybe within a week I can get to it. I've got that truck full of stuff, as I've stored it until I fix the trans. I've begun working on that, but to pull that glass I need to go get the two 99 pieces that I have at a friend's garage.

How about $20 and next week at the soonest. I get as far south as Jones Cove at Cedar Bluff, that's where my route ends. I drive Chapman Hwy to Sevierville, through Dollywood Pkwy and to the east, around Jones Cove and Old Newport Hwy. I'll be able to meet you somewhere in that area, morning to early afternoon depending on my progress.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think maybe within a week I can get to it. I've got that truck full of stuff, as I've stored it until I fix the trans. I've begun working on that, but to pull that glass I need to go get the two 99 pieces that I have at a friend's garage.

How about $20 and next week at the soonest. I get as far south as Jones Cove at Cedar Bluff, that's where my route ends. I drive Chapman Hwy to Sevierville, through Dollywood Pkwy and to the east, around Jones Cove and Old Newport Hwy. I'll be able to meet you somewhere in that area, morning to early afternoon depending on my progress.

That works for me. I have the back window all tapped up so just when ever you get to it is fine with me. I live about 20 to 30 minutes from all those places you mentioned. I'll meet you anywhere here in Sevier county just because I won't have to drive an hour or 2 one way to meet someone. That price is perfect and just give me a day or 2 heads up before you would like to meet. Thank you for offering this to me! Helps me out so much!

Back