Replacing A TPS With Damaged Screws, How To | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Replacing A TPS With Damaged Screws, How To

Reaction score
City, State
Bonita Springs, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLT, V6 OHV
A couple of years ago I got the idea of replacing my throttle position sensor since it was the stock part. I gave up after rounding the philips screws. I then tired to use a dremel to cut a slot into the screw heads but that didn’t work out too well.

Recently, my absolute throttle position would be different every time I drove the truck. Sometimes it would be at 18.8% and other times as high as 21%. I finally purchased a dremel torch to heat the screws and proceeded to destroy the old tps.

9F3A5FF8-D055-466A-8BF8-06892D521C0A.jpeg

From here I applied heat and then began to turn the screw with some vampliers.

FBC004EC-4A4C-4765-80B7-9782AE7F513E.jpeg

The round part of the pliers grabs on great and fits snug on the screw heads. Finally, I had removed the old, faulty sensor and had a Motorcraft replacement on. My absolute throttle position is always at 18.4% now, at idle. I used bolts to replace the philips screws this time. The size of the bolts are
5x30x.80 and are the same on the SOHC, from what I saw on YouTube.

B838081C-45D6-4EA5-9123-0BFF83B57788.jpeg

My throttle response is better now and acceleration is too, which really surprised me when I first drove with a new tps. I read about testing the tps with a multimeter but I could tell mine was bad just by watching it on my blue driver obd scanner.

The parts I used were:
Throttle Position Sensor 2000 OHV: CX1542
Pliers: VT001
Bolts: Stainless 5x30x.80

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Nice work-around! I don't know why those screws are always so tight. I've had to grab the edges with a small vise-grips sometimes to get them loose.

Steel screws in aluminum tend to be tough to break loose (due to electrolysis of dissimilar metals). The longer they're attached the harder they are to break free.

^This. I repair lawn equipment and that's the number one pitfall that old equipment has, heat, moisture and time does em in.

Yeah mine were definitely in there good. The loctite made it 10x worse. Hardest screws I’ve had to remove. Bolts are an improvement for sure.
059B189C-75A2-4A0A-9D22-4A40E30410DA.jpeg

A couple of years ago I got the idea of replacing my throttle position sensor since it was the stock part. I gave up after rounding the philips screws. I then tired to use a dremel to cut a slot into the screw heads but that didn’t work out too well.

Recently, my absolute throttle position would be different every time I drove the truck. Sometimes it would be at 18.8% and other times as high as 21%. I finally purchased a dremel torch to heat the screws and proceeded to destroy the old tps.

View attachment 171478

From here I applied heat and then began to turn the screw with some vampliers.

View attachment 171479

The round part of the pliers grabs on great and fits snug on the screw heads. Finally, I had removed the old, faulty sensor and had a Motorcraft replacement on. My absolute throttle position is always at 18.4% now, at idle. I used bolts to replace the philips screws this time. The size of the bolts are
5x30x.80 and are the same on the SOHC, from what I saw on YouTube.

View attachment 171480

My throttle response is better now and acceleration is too, which really surprised me when I first drove with a new tps. I read about testing the tps with a multimeter but I could tell mine was bad just by watching it on my blue driver obd scanner.

The parts I used were:
Throttle Position Sensor 2000 OHV: CX1542
Pliers: VT001
Bolts: Stainless 5x30x.80
Hello,
I was attempting to look up and purchase those 5x30x.80 bolts, but can't seem to find them. When I do a search bolts come up as 3/8 plus other numbers.

do you have a good pair of small needle nose style vise grips?
usually I am able to get TPS and the security MAS screw with those
Good brand like Vise grip, channel lock, or Crescent, no Harbor Freight for good vise grips

Hello,
I was attempting to look up and purchase those 5x30x.80 bolts, but can't seem to find them. When I do a search bolts come up as 3/8 plus other numbers.
I got mine at Ace Hardware.

Back