Rhino Line bottom of Truck | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rhino Line bottom of Truck

Here is an opinion question. I have a 99 Mounty white. It has the bottom grey with the running boards and grey plastic front and grey metal rear bumpers. I am up north so the bottoms of my doors on the inside and the outer corners are starting to chip and rust....my rear bumper is starting to bubble. Now here is the question. Should I get it painted. Or should I do all the prep work myself and then have it rhino lined or some type of bed liner put on it. Because if I do that I can do the front bumper which has some blemishes on it too and it would be uniform all the way around. Would it be too much do you think or would it look good professionally done? I think that would be the cheaper route. Because I can sand and prep but I am no body man so if I get it painted that would require a lot more work that I would have to pay for instead of doing myself. Opinions thoughts whatever would be appreciated....also what about Liner fading does it happen and how bad?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm no expert either, but I wouldn't think you need to do that much prep work other than sanding and cleaning before you paint/rhino line it. I would go the Rhino line route for toughness and like you said, hide blemishes.

I herculined my rockers about 2 years ago and it's been holding up pretty well. Prep work is the key, most of the work involved is prepping the truck before applying the herculiner. Here's a thread I started about herculining my truck.

Well I think I have decided to take my running boards off and possibly by some or make some custom ones.... so if I do that I will definately have to fill in some holes and then apply the liner over the top of that.

If you use Herculiner, make sure to use a condom while applying (according to Rick).

I've thought about this, but might not be good for use on metal that has or has had rust, because the rust is still there and can eat its way through (and the cavity will hold in moisture, not good).

My dad's had some rustproofing stuff around. I describe it as 200 weight oil or really thick BBQ sauce. I've put it on the underside of my doors and inside the doors too, and under my running boards on the dog legs and rockers. Since it's oil, it repels all water a moisture (I could see it repelling while I was applying it). Applied with a paintbrush. It's good stuff for use where you normally don't look (dust sticks to it).

haha are you guys screwing with me or are you serious....restroom and avoid fluids and a condom....kind of confused expalin if they are serious if not I did have a good laugh

Nemesiszx2 said:
haha are you guys screwing with me or are you serious....restroom and avoid fluids and a condom....kind of confused expalin if they are serious if not I did have a good laugh

Go to "Exploring everything under the sun" and then to Herculiner off my hotus thread. I don't think you will have to read all the thousands of posts to understand what the posters ment when they replied to yours

It's the thread that Heep forums talk about :p

WELCOME Nemesiszx2!!! It is great to see another Duluth member. My dads 99 mounty is starting to do the same rust thing on the doors also. It is making me mad. I hope to see your mounty while I am cruising around town sometime. I haven't seen any lifted mountaineers as of yet, but I have been in the cities for school the past few months.

I just bought the cheap do it yourself spray on liner in the aresol cans and coated all the way around the bottom of my 92 x from the bumper strip down and inside the doors along with my custom front and rear bumpers it works great! Not to mention looks nice too, they have it in many colors but I just went with black. Just be sure to prep well.

Back