• Register Today It's free!

Rocker Arms?

TekMan05

Reaction score
City, State
Kansas City
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 XLT 5.0 V8
So I've been browsing the forums lately and think I may have found something I could do to fix my stump for mod ideas. Just wondering how difficult rocker arms installs are for a 5.0? And is it worth the money as well. I've been browsing Summit Racing and seen several brands offer rocker arms. I'm assuming my stock ratio is 1.6? Anyways any advice is nice. This would be something I wait until late spring/early summer to tackle. That way my friend and I could take our time with a project like this.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

several of us have done roller rockers... when using the stock ratio 1.6 there really is no big advantage, our Explorer engines dont rev high enough to take advantage of RR

The gt-40 5.0L is a full roller engine aside from the stock stamped rockers... so its nice to upgrade, but you wont see any performance gains just from the install of the rockers

HOWEVER installing roller rockers is a great time to also install a performance CAM and an intake spacer, the right camshaft will really wake up the explorer engine assuming you already have the tmh's

valvetrainpass.jpg

I already have both and intake spacer and TMH's. If doing that along with a cam, What would be a good cam to drop in but still be good for drivability. I wouldn't want to have a horrible idle since my truck is still somewhat a DD. And would it work with my tunes until I can get new tunes from James?

Thomas

istock_can-of-worms.jpg

You have your mustang, don't let the above picture happen to you.

Now, that being said--

when we doing the cam swap buddy-:D

you need to find a set of 98 up heads and have them gone through. Have them also machined for 7/16" rocker studs while you are at it.

then we'll start talking bout cams--kk?

I know I got the Stang. But I got so much more passion for the Beast. And I do plan another trip down there this year of course :D. I just dying to do something to it this year(Positive lol). If my money sits right later on this year I may drop a cam in it also. But hey it's just an idea. And that picture is very very ugly LMAO!!

Also Alot depends on the price to re-work the heads get the upper motor parts, cams, rocker arms, etc. If we go that route may as well have them powdercoated along with the Valve covers.Then of course the time to install and it run well before I return home. But I talked to Geoff and he's all down for doing a big project like this. He also said for this kinda work it isn't necessary to pull the motor. Is this true?

Ok, keep this all in mind.

The camshaft only increases power because it moves the torque curve up in RPM's.
I strongly urge a 6500 RPM stable valve train for your goal. That is why I suggested another set of heads. You might just find a good re assembled set ( like edelbrock) will be a little less than re working your gt40p heads, however, your torque monster headers are designed to fit gt 40 heads. unless you want to change the headers or have them remade by Robert, you should have a set of gt40's reworked and machined for 7/16" stud rocker mounts.

Then you will need taller valve covers. The list will go on which is why I referenced a can of worms.

A cam swap really works best with the engine out of the truck. The core support is just in the way.

So, I guess what I am saying, is my "Cam swap" took me 8 months to complete back in 2003-04, and turned into a full stroked engine kit by the time I was through "cutting corners"--:D

Hmmm I see your point. Now , would taking some heads outta a junked 98-01 Explorer/Mounty be a viable option? Maybe I may end up in your shoes and just get all the parts ready before ever thinking of an install. It seems a lil demoralizing and yess now that you mention the Can of Worms maybe I should hold off. Or just slowly buy the pieces and take my time with it. Or Do the cam swap on the GT instead like I originally planned.

Using Junk yard heads is an option, just not a great one. The way I see it is either keep your current heads, and do the roller rockers, replace the springs, push rods, etc to match the new cam and call it a day. Or spend a good chunk of money of a real set of heads (trickflow), a custom cam, and a new intake manifold. And at that point there is probably $2500-$3000 in parts, so why not spend another $2500 on a 347 short bock.

Using Junk yard heads is an option, just not a great one. The way I see it is either keep your current heads, and do the roller rockers, replace the springs, push rods, etc to match the new cam and call it a day. Or spend a good chunk of money of a real set of heads (trickflow), a custom cam, and a new intake manifold. And at that point there is probably $2500-$3000 in parts, so why not spend another $2500 on a 347 short bock.

Yeah good points there. It's just an idea, atleast for now anyways. I'm not gonna fret on it too much. Like I said before, I still love the idea of more power to the Explorer but right now it just isn't looking feasible right now to drop that amount of money into it when I have a 2nd vehicle I'm payin on which also is beggin for more mods. I'm still considering it though. I can honestly say though since I first lerked this forum that you and Jon helped inspire me to begin the moddin process on The Golden Beast and I can't thank you guys enough for that.:salute:

geesh just put a nice mild grind cam in there and call it done

the core support is easily dealt with , just cut out the center support and re-weld or live without it

I drove a 96 AWD 5.0L stock

then I drove a 96 5.0L non stock... the difference is night and day, and I am running the crappy but better then Explorer E303 cam.....with 3.73 and 33" tires... the truck tows and moves great... I dont even have a computer tune yet... the cam is a worthwhile upgrade IMO even without all new $2000 worth of head work... geesh :)

I should do some heads myself come to think of it, I have the tools and three spare sets! LOL no seriously the cam was like $200, timing set was like $150 and the roller rockers not too expensive, new lifters and pushrods, in the cam for about $600? or so? To me its worth it even in a 96 motor with 70K miles on it

we can talk about a stroker block later, the stock explorer cam and computer tune SUCK!!!!!!!!

I bet if you ask plenty of 5.0L owners are happy with their cam upgrades even without the $2000+ can of works

Back