Roof Rack screw lug, blind nut removal | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Roof Rack screw lug, blind nut removal

Hi. Does anyone have a suggestion on how to remove these lugs/blind nuts from the roof of a 1999 mounty? These are the nuts that the roof rack screws go into. I'm painting the truck and have removed the roof rack, I want to shave these and fill the holes. Thank you

blindnut.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

A grinder will do the trick.

If you are fielding opinions though I would just leave them as is.
They are on the roof and you cant see them unless you are over six feet tall.

That is what I did on mine, but I am five foot seven.

Plus filling the holes would be a pretty fair amount of work.

Hey, thanks for the reply. I was hoping for an easier solution. Yeah, I'll probably cut or grind them out so I can smooth them, I already have about 30 holes to fill from removing the plastic body trim. Tons of holes, I wish Ford had used tape on the rear trim pieces like the side trim instead of using clips through the body.

Stainless allen set screws and silicone. Reinstall if needed or to sell the vehicle.
Unless you are looking for them, they're barely noticeable once they're painted.

A drop of blue Loctite on the threads will prevent them from falling into the roof.

A dozen screws rolling in the ceiling would get annoying rather quickly.:confused: LOL

Hi. Does anyone have a suggestion on how to remove these lugs/blind nuts from the roof of a 1999 mounty? These are the nuts that the roof rack screws go into. I'm painting the truck and have removed the roof rack, I want to shave these and fill the holes. Thank you

blindnut.jpg

I know it's an old thread, but I filled mine with seam sealer until I did the paint. Then I had to drill all those threaded inserts out and weld the holes. It was the most tedious part of the repaint!

Does anyone know how to get these buggers out? The rear screws on both sides didn't come out when I removed the rack. The nut just spins freely. And the head of one screw is stripped.

Does anyone know how to get these buggers out? The rear screws on both sides didn't come out when I removed the rack. The nut just spins freely. And the head of one screw is stripped.

You can access the other side by taking the headliner down.

Do you need to remove seats to get the side panel trim pieces out?

I just folded the seats down, took everything loose, then slid the headliner out through the back. It seemed easier than taking the panels all the way off!

Back