Running Like Garbage | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

nickcatt

Reaction score
City, State
Princeton
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000, Ford Explorer XLT
Alright so all of the sudden my 00 Explorer (4.0 SOHC) has been running like garbage. It started when one of my cats got plugged (it sure shined a nice cherry red). Since then, I have replaced plugs, plug wires, and coil. They didn't help so I replaced the Crank position sensor now too. The backfiring and what seems to be no torque and little power continues. I actually just had my muffler blow up as well. I am wondering if that became plugged as well. But I am completely lost. Anybody have similar issues or knows how to help?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Toasted oxygen sensor(s)?

Just an idea.

Toasted oxygen sensor(s)?

Just an idea.
I did get a code for a toasted one and I replaced it. It made it run like it should for a day or two then it was back to the same old

Hook up an OBDII code scanner, check for codes, and preferably one that can show live data. See if there's any abnormalities.

Pull the spark plugs and check the condition of each. You might have a misfire sending unburnt fuel out the exhaust.

Try not to drive (run) it much or you may toast another cat.

Hook up an OBDII code scanner, check for codes, and preferably one that can show live data. See if there's any abnormalities.

Pull the spark plugs and check the condition of each. You might have a misfire sending unburnt fuel out the exhaust.

Try not to drive (run) it much or you may toast another cat.
The plugs, plug wires, and coil pack are all new. But i will definitely try to find a scanner that will show the live data.

Pulling the plugs was to try to get a visual indication if any are misfiring. Default guess would be you have vac leak and lean condition causing a misfire, but do check that the plug wiring is on the correct cylinders and snapped on good, all are firing, and your fuel pressure is good.

If you're not loosing coolant then I'd suspect the cat problem was unburnt fuel out of the engine but the muffler... meh if it's the original or an aluminized aftermarket instead of stainless and you're in a region that gets snow then it wouldn't surprise me if it just rusted out from old age.

With all those problems and backfiring, I'm thinking that it's jumped time.

Your getting a ton of raw fuel in your exhaust. It's either a stuck open injector or timing is off. What is the full list of codes you get?

Your getting a ton of raw fuel in your exhaust. It's either a stuck open injector or timing is off. What is the full list of codes you get?
I was throwing codes for cylinder 1 2 and 3 misfires. I also got an o2 sensor but I took care of that. My ignition system is all new. The plugs, plug wires and coil pack has no more than 500 miles on them

^ All the same bank. Were those misfire codes set before or after replacing the CAT and oxygen sensor? Clogged CAT or bad sensor cause cause that, or result from it.

If you have a stuck open injector it could cause the whole bank to misfire. You could get a set of new lower o-rings and swap the left bank injectors with the right bank to see if the problem follows the injectors, or first pull the spark plugs to see if one is abnormally clean, though all might be fairly clean still, since you just changed them. Any chance you saved the old plugs and kept them labeled or in order for which cylinder they came out of?

Uh if you're having 1 2 and 3 misfire codes, you've got an issue on that side with timing I would think, before I did a lot of diagnosis further, compression test it, that's a rule of thumb I have with SOHC trucks.

The only way your catalytic converter (just one side?) or muffler (??) would get clogged is if was burning a lot of oil though bad rings or guides or a plugged pcv and sucking it through the intake or from coolant for a bad head gasket.

My local Ford dealer charges $60 to run the scanner on a vehicle. If you can get it to a competent mechanic with a good scanner he can tell you for sure without having to guess. You must have spent twice that in throwing parts at it already.

How many miles are on it?

^ Raw fuel exiting the engine and burning down the exhaust can cause the cat honeycomb to disintegrate and clog it, if it's even clogged vs just getting red hot. Oil or coolant could, but I hope oil and coolant levels were checked and it would be mentioned if they were being consumed.

Rear chain guide is gone and timing has started to jump I bet. The engine is still repairable while it still runs, once it stops on its own it's scrap metal.

As it's the infamous SOHC V6 engine, if it's the rear timing chain (operates cylinders 1, 2 and 3) I'd just put a bullet in it and cut my loses. If you have the time, tools, experience and the will to fix it you'll need to pull the engine and at that point I'd replace all the timing chain components. Personally I wouldn't waste my time or money on it, but that's up to you.

If you're still running, you're fixable, if the truck is really really clean and decent, it's worth fixing IMO, you can rent the tools, the hardest part is actually timing the chains, this forum is full of advice and wisdom on that. Now, before you go running and snatch your engine out, do a compression test.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks to everybody for the suggestions. I will for sure be working my way down the list. I will keep everyone updated. Thanks again!

Back