Scott B's 93 Ranger XLT V8 | Page 23 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Scott B's 93 Ranger XLT V8

Since the condenser is universal, it had no mounting brackets.

These are the brackets I fabricated to the mount the condenser.

Attachments

• Brackets.jpg
    Brackets.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 827

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Here are some shots of the finished fuel can carrier. I had it powder coated, but it wasn't finished until the night before I left for DE III!

Attachments

• FC1.jpg
    FC1.jpg
    188.1 KB · Views: 816
  • FC2.jpg
    FC2.jpg
    172.2 KB · Views: 829
  • FC3.jpg
    FC3.jpg
    157.2 KB · Views: 784

Emergency Brakes

I upgraded the e-brake cables from factory Explorer cables (which didn't work that well) to a set from Lokar. The brake works much better now.

Since the Lokar cable adjustment system is somewhat universal, I made a bracket to mount the Lokar adjuster to the front spring bolt. (Seen in picture 3) I also made an adapter cable to go from the Ranger cable to the Lokar adjuster. (Picture 2)

NOTES:
1) The cables from the brakes need to be trimmed. I am letting them get their initial stretch before trimming.
2) The mounting bracket got sandblasted on my recent trip to the desert.

Attachments

• Parts.jpg
    Parts.jpg
    159.3 KB · Views: 774
  • Cable.jpg
    Cable.jpg
    176.9 KB · Views: 768
  • Installed.jpg
    Installed.jpg
    157.4 KB · Views: 768

Inside Storage Hanger

I added two 2-inch wide adjustable straps to the inside of the shell - these will let me carry things like sleeping pads without having to roll them up. Should save some when breaking camp. I can also carry fishing poles up there.

Here you can see before and after pictures. The last one is a close-up of how I mounted the straps to the roof - the black plates are 1/4" aluminum backing plates for the roof rack mounts.

Attachments

• CloseUp.jpg
    CloseUp.jpg
    211.8 KB · Views: 730
  • After.jpg
    After.jpg
    205.4 KB · Views: 746
  • Before.jpg
    Before.jpg
    187.7 KB · Views: 724

Where do you get those stickers of the different passes you've been over?

The steering has been a little loose, so I changed the steering box. The one I pulled out was the second one, having been changed about 150,000 miles ago. Nothing lasts forever - ha.

There are quite a few different brands of rebuilt steering boxes on the market - not sure how many there actually are, the rest being marketing. Of all the descriptions, only Motorcraft says they magnaflux the parts, checking for cracks. I checked with Ford, but a brand new one is not available. :(

I decided to get the Motorcraft box - it was 4 times the price of the cheapest rebuilt unit. One can only wonder...

Here you see a picture of the box.

While the box was out, I painted more of the frame.

Attachments

• SteeringBox.jpg
    SteeringBox.jpg
    161.1 KB · Views: 711
  • Frame.jpg
    Frame.jpg
    180.4 KB · Views: 718

Lift Blocks

The new springs did not position the rear of the truck where I wanted it - it was about an inch low - more so when loaded.

The easy solution was to build a set of 1" lift blocks.

I ordered 6061 aluminum flat bar and 5/8" dowel pins from McMaster-Carr.

While I had everything apart, I painted the axle tubes. Still need to paint the chunk.

The pictures walk through the process:
1 - parts
2 - cut to length
3 - pilot hole (in the center)
4 - pins pressed in (with relief hole)
5 - painted with Por-15 chassis paint
6 - complete

Attachments

• Complete.jpg
    Complete.jpg
    191.1 KB · Views: 695
  • Painted.jpg
    Painted.jpg
    224.9 KB · Views: 706
  • Pin Pressed.jpg
    Pin Pressed.jpg
    232 KB · Views: 694
  • Pilot Hole.jpg
    Pilot Hole.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 688
  • Cut.jpg
    Cut.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 692
  • Parts.jpg
    Parts.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 682

Rear Axles

Several years ago, when I last freshened the rear end, I had to use a repair bearing on one side. Knowing that, and these axles have about 200,000 miles on them, I thought with the added torque/power of the V8 that an axle change was in order.

I picked up a set of Moser axles (made in USA! :usa:). While I was at it, I changed both axle bearing and seals.

The pictures show:
1 - the axles
2 - the bearings and seals
3 - comparing old vs. new
4 - the end result

Attachments

• Result.jpg
    Result.jpg
    161.3 KB · Views: 679
  • Comparison.jpg
    Comparison.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 690
  • Parts.jpg
    Parts.jpg
    254 KB · Views: 696
  • Axles.jpg
    Axles.jpg
    158.9 KB · Views: 694

Fuse Block

I replaced the auxiliary fuse block I had under the hood. I upgraded to a Blue Sea model (like I put in the back) - this one is only a 6-circuit model.

Here you can see the wiring harness I built, and then it is installed on top of the factory under-hood fuse/relay block.

Attachments

• Wiring Harness.jpg
    Wiring Harness.jpg
    179.7 KB · Views: 696
  • Block Installed.jpg
    Block Installed.jpg
    239.2 KB · Views: 683

I just finished reading through your entire build, very impressive sir. You should be proud of what all you have accomplished!

I just finished reading through your entire build, very impressive sir. You should be proud of what all you have accomplished!

Thanks. I'm happy with it, and still so much more I want to do!

PS - nice to see someone is reading this thread! ;)

<snip>
PS - nice to see someone is reading this thread! ;)

This is one of the places I go for ideas for our X... The Tire carrier (similar style to yours) is on my short list now.

~Mark

This is one of the places I go for ideas for our X... The Tire carrier (similar style to yours) is on my short list now.

~Mark

Look at Brian1's also (his was the inspiration for mine!)

Happy Birthday!

Today is the truck's 20th birthday!

I ordered this truck from Ford in June, and had to wait 8 weeks to take delivery (2 extra weeks due to the floods in the Midwest.) I remember driving onto the dealership lot in Simi Valley, California, and saw it sitting on the sidewalk in front of the building. At that time, I had no idea of the path that would be taken with this truck.

I've driven this truck in 25 states - I won't visit all of them, but there are plenty more on the list to see, lots of dirt roads/trails to drive.

20 years, and still going strong! I guess that's what they mean by Built Ford Tough! (Or, in this case, Rebuilt Ford Tough!)

Here's a picture from the Colorado trip 2 weeks ago. It is on Schoefield Pass, about to head down to Devil's Punch Bowl.

Here's hoping for 20+ more years!

Attachments

• Schoefield Pass.jpg
    Schoefield Pass.jpg
    227.2 KB · Views: 623

Happy birthday!! She's looking better than ever :D

Scott...... 20 yrs!!! the new old truck!

Look's like a great place you were at in Colorado must have been fun, and you missed all the rain and flooding! Soooooo........ where to next spring on DE IV? Oh..... I will be trying a new dust control idea... maybe I will lick it this time... think so? Ha, Ha! Michael

..Happy 20th Birthday..:party:

In 1 more year you can start feeding that truck alcohol! :burnout:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back