Scott B's 2006 Ranger FX4 Level II | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Scott B's 2006 Ranger FX4 Level II

what does level II mean. it may have been answered but im not sure. I am also curious to learn what stage 1 and stage 2 and stage 3 mean? Call me stupid but it is a honest question lol

Level II is just a model name. Technically, it is an XLT with extra goodies - more than an FX4. Specifically, in 2006, a Level II has the following over an FX4:

31-spine rear axle
Torsen limited slip
Silver-tone front tow hooks
Black rear tow hook
15" Alcoa wheels w/BFG AT KO 31x10.50
3 skid plates
Bilstein shocks
Black interior
Upgraded radio

(Yes, I read this out of the brochure...)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

over a month old, but FWIW...

you can fit 33x10.50x15s on the stock suspension. I did such on my 04 Level II for over a year before I installed my RCD kit. I had no rub up front, but would rub in the rear via wheel hop/axle wrap when off-road and full flex.

Looks nice! You wouldn't happen to still have your old 06 grille would you?

over a month old, but FWIW...

you can fit 33x10.50x15s on the stock suspension. I did such on my 04 Level II for over a year before I installed my RCD kit. I had no rub up front, but would rub in the rear via wheel hop/axle wrap when off-road and full flex.

Looks nice! You wouldn't happen to still have your old 06 grille would you?

I wondered if 33x10.50-15s would fit. I thought about them, but wanted a slightly wider tire.

I would like to do the RCD kit, too - someday.

Yes, I have the 06 grille - are you interested in it?

My buddy has an 06 FX4 Level II, cool trucks. He's got a superlift kit on his

I wondered if 33x10.50-15s would fit. I thought about them, but wanted a slightly wider tire.

I would like to do the RCD kit, too - someday.

Yes, I have the 06 grille - are you interested in it?

I am if it's in good condition. My 04 grille is cracked on the white portion and one of the tabs. Someone at home depot a few months back put one of their large items carts in front of my truck and I didn't see it. I pulled forward in my parking spot to leave and bam! Cracked the grille and broke the fingers on the plastic retainer for my PS headlight. My gf is the someone that put the cart there, she also mentioned she liked the 06 grilles over my 04 on my Level II.

Shoot me a pm. I'm currently off to autozone for a pickle fork to rent. I snapped my PS RCD coilover unit earlier in the month and just got my fox replacements. Need to drop my lower control arm so I can put new bump stops in before I put the new shocks in. :)

Here's the carnage from the RCD coilover failing: http://www.ranger-forums.com/forum2/f6/f36/89882-nursed-57-miles-home-bilstein-coilvers.html

JBA Exhaust System

Today, I installed a JBA exhaust.

It was not a difficult project. I was able to remove the factory exhaust without cutting it. (Not sure what I'm going to do with it...)

It looks good with the 3" chrome tip, sounds good (lower pitch than stock, no droning).

Here are some "during" shots:

Attachments

• Parts.JPG
    Parts.JPG
    78.4 KB · Views: 2,787
  • Old System.JPG
    Old System.JPG
    86.5 KB · Views: 8,919
  • Before.JPG
    Before.JPG
    82.2 KB · Views: 2,193

And the result...

Attachments

• Installed.JPG
    Installed.JPG
    83.3 KB · Views: 2,881
  • Tip.JPG
    Tip.JPG
    51.9 KB · Views: 2,862

...Sam's going to want a sound clip...:D

...I know how creative you have to be to remove the stock exhaust...I can't tell by the picture but does the new exhaust pipe clearaance in the rear axle area as well as the stock one did?

...I can't tell by the picture but does the new exhaust pipe clearaance in the rear axle area as well as the stock one did?

Yes - it goes up to (but not touching) the underside of the bed.

I ordered an ARE LSII tonneau cover today. It will be here in 2 - 3 weeks, and will replace the soft tonneau I currently have installed. I am looking forward to being able to secure stuff in the back of the truck.

Of course, pictures when it is installed.

...Will be here waiting for the pics and install info...:popcorn:

...I wonder how well those lids will hold up against some hard wheelin'??...My shell has held up pretty good but I am starting to get a little nervous on the age and effects on the fiberglass...:dunno:

...I wonder how well those lids will hold up against some hard wheelin'??...My shell has held up pretty good but I am starting to get a little nervous on the age and effects on the fiberglass...:dunno:

The ARE Z Series shell on my '93 has been on that truck for 10 years - including a trip to Arizona and two trips to Colorado. (See picture at left!) I used it as a work truck full-time for a year, and part time for 4 years. So far, it is holding up nicely.

I'm sure this tonneau will hold up nicely. But then again, this truck is more of a boat-puller than serious wheeler. ;)

The tonneau is installed - I'll put some pictures up when it stops raining and the sun comes out - hopefully this weekend.

It looks nice (I am getting used to it) but I need to re-do the front edge seal. They, shall we say, missed when they installed it. I would take it back, but since they messed up once, they don't get a second chance. :mad:

I just ordered new hubs from RockAuto - should be here this week, then I can finally convert the front end to locking hubs! Pictures forthcoming...

Tonneau Pictures

Nice day today - warm and sunny. Cleaned the truck just for the pictures!

Attachments

• tonneau1.JPG
    tonneau1.JPG
    98 KB · Views: 2,390
  • tonneau2.JPG
    tonneau2.JPG
    92.3 KB · Views: 2,046
  • tonneau3.JPG
    tonneau3.JPG
    99 KB · Views: 2,022

level 1 vs level 2 ranger fx4

I have a 06 fx4 level 1 but it came stock with the 15 in gray alcoa rims with 31/10.5 bfg all terrains ko ,aslo the up graded radio and the two tone seats i aslo have skid plates. i was wondering if any one new if fords did this a lot or any thing you may know

In 2006 (this may or may not apply to other years) -

On the FX4 Off-Road (not Level II)

- Alcoa wheels, either polished or Dark Shadow Grey paint (new for 2006) with 31x10.5 BFG T/A KO tires were optional

- Choice of 4 radio systems

- 2-tone seats not specified

- Mid and aft skidplates included

AVM hub conversion complete!!!!!!!!!

Write-up (with pictures) coming soon...

...It's about time..:p:

...Looking forward to the write up to point people to...:biggthump

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back