SCT Xcal2 tune 99-5.0L | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

SCT Xcal2 tune 99-5.0L

Reaction score
City, State
Leesburg, va
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Explorer Limited
I just bought a tuner for my Mustang and would like to be able to use this on my Explorer when I'm not using it on my Mustang.

Where can I get a couple of tunes for the X? I only have the CAI now as I took the NX kit off.

Thanks,

Jim

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't think you can. The XC2 gets locked to only one VIN at a time from the way I understand it. If you want to add tunes to your Explorer, you'll need another flasher. Otherwise you can return your Mustang to stock and get the flasher locked to your Ex, but not both at the same time.

Only an SCT dealer can lock the tuner to your vehicle from what I understand.

Sort of what I under stood. If you return the tune to "stock" then you can use it on another vehicle.

I'm thinking I should be able to save all my tunes on my computer and then just un-lock it, add the tunes to the vehicle that I'm going to, and the load the tunes into the PCM.

You can tune both but not at the same time.

You can lock and unlock the Xcal2 from either one of your cars providing you already reflashed the car it was currently on, back to stock.

Remember that you only have 5 times to swap between vehicles before it becomes permanently locked to one vehicle.

Contact the tuner on here that goes by the name Doug. He is a tuner for SCT that is out of Alabama I believe. He can get you setup with a simple tune for your mods. Of course it wont be free, but for one single tune the price shouldn't be bad. I know what they have cost in the past, but I don't want to quote you wrong in here.

I just got my second Xcal2 for my 05 LS not too long ago. I only paid $225 for it brand new in the box. I can give your info to the fella and have him contact you if you want? He works out of a big modular engine building shop that I can guarantee you have heard of. PM me if you want to know more.

rocket 5979 said:
Contact the tuner on here that goes by the name Doug. He is a tuner for SCT that is out of Alabama I believe. He can get you setup with a simple tune for your mods.

That would be Doug Studdard, the owner of Bama Chips ( http://www.bamachips.com/ )

Good luck ........

aldive said:
That would be Doug Studdard, the owner of Bama Chips ( http://www.bamachips.com/ )

Good luck ........

Thanks Al. I knew someone would have all the info. Is his name Doug904 or something like that? I forget and am too lazy to check my old PM's.

bamachips rules!

rocket 5979 said:
Remember that you only have 5 times to swap between vehicles before it becomes permanently locked to one vehicle.

Well that's no fun!

briwayjones said:
Why do you have to return the first vehicle back to the stock tune before you lock it to another vehicle?

So you can't keep a tune in more than one vehicle at once.

Is a money thing with SCT, buy one, get one, use it, is yours, for your rig only
imagine being able to transfer flashers between your buds.
SCT is not stupid, nor are the vendors

spindlecone said:
Is a money thing with SCT, buy one, get one, use it, is yours, for your rig only
imagine being able to transfer flashers between your buds.
SCT is not stupid, nor are the vendors

Though I wish they were. ;) I have spent $900 on SCT tuning equipment so far. I got my second Xcal2 for a smoking deal which I used to tune my 05 LS and then my first Xcal2 with my PRP & tuning manual which is being used to tune my truck. There sure is good money in the tuning biz.

If it does get locked to one car after 5 swaps, isn't there a way to reset it or something?

silverbullet99 said:
If it does get locked to one car after 5 swaps, isn't there a way to reset it or something?

Nope. Not unless you got a close buddy at SCT that will go ahead and reprogram the firmware for you. Again, it goes back to avoiding people using it on multiple vehicles. Since it is so easy to swap tunes back and forth it wouldn't be no big deal for people to just pop and swap the tuner to their different cars at a whim. The way they work things is to avoid that constant swapping of cars, thus them losing money on tuners. They incorporated the 5 swap feature so that you could switch it back or forth one or so and still have enough swaps left to be able to unlock it from your vehicle to sell to someone else.

Back