Section525 Fab Shop - Driveshaft shortening | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Section525 Fab Shop - Driveshaft shortening

section525

sextion525
Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Red Bluff, Ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
1975 Ford Bronco 4x4
Another night in the Section525 Fab shop. It's been a while since the shops been open. But Phil got his doubler all in the BII so it needs a new front driveshaft and a modified crossmember.

01.jpg

Gentley grind into the weld wearing protective eyewear.
02.jpg

Should look like this. Don't go too deep.
03.jpg

Tap on it with a rubber mallot. :p
04.jpg

Cut it with a bandsaw. We chopped 14" of this one! :eek:
05.jpg

End put back in. Ready to weld closed.
06.jpg

Welded shut!
07.jpg

Phil can deep throat an entire popcicle. :thumbsup:
08.jpg

See?
09.jpg

After popcicles was ice chest freestyle.
10.jpg

Driveshaft at the paint booth.
11.jpg

Finished product. Now off to the u-jount shop.

More info coming soon

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So how ya planning on balancing the driveshaft?

kfkodiak said:
That pic with the fudgesicle is just wrong. :nono:

What if I told you it's Root Beer?

There's been a new development.

Attachments

• 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 1,775

Here's the custom (mutilated) crossmember so far. :cool:

Attachments

• 13.jpg
    13.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 936
  • 14.jpg
    14.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 899

Nurse Sarah fixed him all up.

Back to work.

Attachments

• PhilBandAide.jpg
    PhilBandAide.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 835

cybergasm said:
So how ya planning on balancing the driveshaft?

It doesn't really need to be balanced. Since it's going in a BII with a solid axle and unlocked hubs... :D It's 10x better than a square tubing shaft.

LOL @ balanced driveshafts...

That was fun, and my head feels better already, i hope it leaves a scar :)

How did you do it again? :p

section525 said:
How did you do it again? :p

Well, for those that don't know section525 lives right next to very busy railroad tracks, this evening a circus train was rolling through town. A tiger escaped from the train not far from Section's place. It was naturally attracted to the sparks and man-sweat. needless to say, i had to subdue the beast to protect the fabshop, the scratch was just a little badge of honor i got from defending the shop.

i think that sounds better than "i hit my head on the pinion yoke"

LA SALSA!!!

Man I miss Cali sometimes.....

section525 said:
It's 10x better than a square tubing shaft.

I wouldnt say 10x better but thats another subject.

Did you weld the yokes back in phase? Looks like it in the pics. Just thought I would mention it for others who read this and want to try it themselves. Nice work.

Yeah. They're in phase. Another tip, try to get them back in phase before you tap the end back on. We thought we could just turn it while it was in. No. So line it up as best you can first.

How about 10x easier to make? :p

lets see the shifter for the doubler. one of these days I will get home so I can install my doubler

I have the stock shifter hooked up to the doubler, and an auto case as my main so i have to crawl underneath and turn the shaft to put 'er in 4x4.

Looks good guys! Can't wait to get back this weekend from socal cuz I'm ready to fab!! hmmmm Phil i wonder...maybe when my rear u-joint gets all blown out again, could we do this to the rear shaft to replace that ****ty yoke thats on there? Then just go get it balanced somewhere?

Looks good fellas. Hey Phil you got a link to the build of your truck, i'd love to read about.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

B2Dude said:
Well, for those that don't know section525 lives right next to very busy railroad tracks, this evening a circus train was rolling through town. A tiger escaped from the train not far from Section's place. It was naturally attracted to the sparks and man-sweat. needless to say, i had to subdue the beast to protect the fabshop, the scratch was just a little badge of honor i got from defending the shop.

i think that sounds better than "i hit my head on the pinion yoke"

that was very amusing to read!!!

Back