Serious Explorations 10th Anniversary Run | Page 8 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Serious Explorations 10th Anniversary Run

Where should our 10th Anniversary run be held?

• Truck Haven Southern California

Votes: 43 21.3%
  • Moab Utah

Votes: 33 16.3%
  • Phoenix Area Trails

Votes: 14 6.9%
  • Colorado Trails

Votes: 43 21.3%
  • Badlands Attica Indiana

Votes: 69 34.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I would like to attend, but I have nothing to wheel. Are riders invited like lindsy brought up? I know she could get a ride since she knows most of you. LOL

It all depends on finances (at the time), cost of gas by then, and location for me. I live almost in the middle of the country though.

EDIT: I did not vote, since I cannot say anything definite that far away. :) I will just have to sit back and watch.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Rick, the more i look at the map the more TX sounds like a good deal.

Indiana is 1800miles for the guys around pheonix and only 800 for most of the east coast guys. however Texas is about a even split. Actuall using mapquest and Richmond for the East Coast city and pheonix for the west coast city it comes out to be 1195 miles from the west and 1191 miles from the east coast.

I didn't vote, but Colorado would be cool for me :D

Pretty much anywhere, and I'll be there for the 10th anniversary run. I should have enough time to get everything good to go. Let's just hope gas isn't over 6 dollars a gallon by then :rolleyes:

nissanboy said:
Rick, the more i look at the map the more TX sounds like a good deal.

Indiana is 1800miles for the guys around pheonix and only 800 for most of the east coast guys. however Texas is about a even split. Actuall using mapquest and Richmond for the East Coast city and pheonix for the west coast city it comes out to be 1195 miles from the west and 1191 miles from the east coast.

Yeah but another almost 400 miles for us Full west coast people. (from LA)

If only 23 trucks show up on average, then dual runs should be no problem. I mean, 23 trucks in VA or Tennessee even should be no problem. 23 trucks in Nevada or Wherever should be no problem. If we get 23 trucks apiece that would be the shizzle. Gas is so high it makes a long drive way to hard. I say let them have their west coast meeting and lets set up an east coast one. I'll bring a Keg of beer if we just make sense of this. And I mean a BIG keg.

PS, I'm pretty sure all you streeters are more than welcome to come and just ride along. If there are that many people actually planning on coming, I'm sure there will be a seat for you somewhere.

:confused: dopler you didnt even make a small local run

I am going no matter where it winds up being.

And we east coast ppl have to add miles for farther norht and farther south.

Of course I haven't made any run. I don't even drive my truck...at all. the battery is dead sitting in my driveway with no tags or insurance. It's bad when your to broke from buying gas to pay for anything else. I was just trying to get involved. I'll just take my beer somewhere else.

I am willing to put the time in for planning most of an east coast like I pointed out in page 7. My ride though is still needing more work, but I will be more than willing to be an event cordinator, and a mild trail guide. I just recently got a new "old" 94 explorer limited, that I am about to tear apart and build. I got ridd of the BII, but If rick gives the go for an east coast deal I already have 3 more BII's coming. At Tellico I can plan a dual level event extreme/beginner ride, I can be a guide for the Beginner ride, and followup with a truck show-off/cruise event in downtown Murphy, NC that will allow the explorer street trucks to show off and participate with the mudders and crawlers. Just an Idea!!!! I also, can possibly get crawfords camp to hold us exclusivly, and there are many campgrounds/hotels near by that I can provide info on. I am not trying to piss anyone off or trying to renegade anything, just merely trying to Help, offer suggestions, and create an event for those of us east coasters so that we will be able to participate in the excitement of the 10yr anniversary. TNXs, Joe

After reading alot of replies to this thread I have come up with concerns and a question.

All the east coasters say the west coast is to far away, and all the west coasters say the east coast is to far away. Good point. To do the middle of the country we would have to do Kansas or Nebraska. Theres nothing worth wheeling there so that is out the window.

Then the next thing I get from the east coasters is "All the big runs are always on the west coast so lets have this one on the east coast."

From a-lot of the west coasters I see them saying "Do truckhaven, moab, Arizona or Colorado and I can probably make it" This is where I fall. So do I vote for truckhaven cause its 2 hours from my house and it needs more votes to try and win, or do I vote for colorado or moab where I would love to go wheeling this year and having a big run would give me the extra ambition to make the 1000 mile drive to those places. I feel the "west coast" vote is really being split into 4 catagories while the east coast is all going into one catagory.

Another concern about an east coast run is how many people will actually show up and not just vote for it. The west coast has proven that we can pull 20+ rigs for an annual run in truckhaven or moab. We could probably do that and bigger for a 10th aniversary run.

So here is my question. Can you east coasters show where ON THIS BOARD they have started, planned, and pulled off a multiday offroad run with more then 20 registered members of this site in attendence with there own vechicle? I would just hate to see a big run planned then fall apart because too many had too high of ambitions and didn’t show up.

DeRocha said:
For the record I voted for Attica and would definitely attend. Moab on the other hand sounds great, but would add another 1300

Moab... Moab...Moab...

I have yet to vote, but I have wanted to visit Moab before I had a truck, just as a hiker. Although Indiana is closer - Moab is the #1 destination of all options listed. It's beyond an offroad park (which you can get anywhere), it's a national treasue.

If the finances are right, I might be in for a trip out there.

wow this is only what the first week of this thread, and it is already huge and confusing, I feel for everyone on each coast, I say 2 runs would be cool but one BIG AZZ run somewhere mor centralized would be BAD AZZ, but like I said I understand the $$$$$ situation, so lets all start saving and pray gas will come down next year!!!!!! and having been on a number of X trips I have to say no matter where it will be AWESOME!

and streetz feel free to show there is always extra room!

What about Disney OK.http://www.hogansoffroad.com/ Its very close to the Middle of the country! I did vote the bad lands but have never been there! Its just less of a drive than Cali! I have been to disney and what a sweet place that is to wheel! Something for everone!

RockRanger said:
So here is my question. Can you east coasters show where ON THIS BOARD they have started, planned, and pulled off a multiday offroad run with more then 20 registered members of this site in attendence with there own vechicle? I would just hate to see a big run planned then fall apart because too many had too high of ambitions and didn’t show up.

I have just lurked for the most part on this site, due to not having much to say. This time, I decided to chime in. I voted for Attica, and WILL be there for sure, being that I only live 20 minutes away.

Gajeep, thanks for your input and help. We've ran Tellico a few times and don't seem to be able to get more than a half dozen or so to show up at a time. And Crawford's is a great place to camp - Steve Crawford has done an excellent job of building a place devoted to serving fourwheelers.

I think one thing Rick wants to make sure for this 10th Anniversary run is that there are trails for everyone including stockers so that the most can attend. A vehicle with an Explorer's wheelbase really needs at least 33" tires to run Tellico and any Explorer that is stock (or nearly stock) would be held to trails 3 and 4 (any maybe 5 now if the river is shallow, it was pretty tame and graded last time I was there). Even going down 6 might challenge a stocker if it is wet. I may be wrong since we haven't talked a stocker into running Tellico yet LOL. But, for a three day run, the rigs that aren't built up very much may be stuck with running the same trails every day.

Anyone going fourwheeling needs to accept the possibility of body damage, but going to Tellico in a stocker will practically guarantee it, and that may scare some off from attending. I've never ran Uwharrie yet but hear that its tough spots have bypasses and non-built rigs can run there.

The idea of dual runs sort of makes sense to me, but I'm not sure Tellico would be the place to run the east coast side even though it is one of my favorite trails.

Lets take a poll...IF you want to make an east coast run as well as a west coast, say so. We need some good numbers for an east coast run or else RockRanger will be right and we will be to small and fall apart. Also, we should be deciding a place to run on the East side. I really want to get my truck out. I'm sure that I can get one or two of my friends that aren't part of this page to come. So lets get a unified thought going on here. Then we can decide a date. I think Joe should step on up and start planning this. He offered. I don't think It would piss anybody off if we planned us one for this side of the Mississippi.

RockRanger said:

I can-not due to the fact that I have been inactive for 3years. Before converting to explorers, I was a director of a 135-140 member "SouthernJeeps.org" SouthernJeeps ot of Atlanta, Ga. After living through 2 rollovers, 1 of which I was driving, I decided I had made an ill choice in buying jeeps. I whent back to my trusty fords, that never rolled or left me completly stranded. Yes, with southern Jeeps I have cordinated Several of these type rides, and understand the work that it takes to pull it off. But as far as participation, that is always an unkown, you just try and organize and promote to the fullest and hope for the best. My biggest turn out for a ride was 2 hummers, a nissan fronter, 20-30 Jeeps, 2 Mountain dune buggys, and a FJ40.

I too think Gilmer, TX or Superlift Park could be an option as it is central US. Just my 2 pennies.

If we were to run a dual run, the east coasters could run either Tellico or Uhwarrie like Gerald said. Uhwarrie would be my vote of the two because it can be as hard as you want it as well as as easy as you want it. It would cater to everyone, even stockers could run most of the trails with some good spotting and driving. Tellico would cater really only to people with more serious offroad capabilities. You can run the trails both ways, so it would be easy to make a weekend out of it. There are hard trails/easy trails and everything in between. Every daunting obstacle has a bypass so you can pick and choose. If we were to go do this uhwarrie trip we could split into groups of the bigger, more capable rigs, and the stockers/semi stockers. Then everyone would be happy.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back