Shock Recommendation? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Shock Recommendation?

94xlt4x4

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Limited 4x4 3.5L
Hey guys, looking for some opinions here..

It's time to replace the shocks on my 2000. Handling and ride quality have been steadily declining and the D/S rear looks like it's leaking, so I know where some of my tax return is going this year. I will also probably replace the '5th shock' in the rear. I know there's much debate as to whether or not it actually does anything, but it's not that expensive, and I plan on keeping the truck for a long time.

I'm looking for a recommendation on replacements. I've always used Monroes, but the last set I put on here haven't lasted all that long, and I was never all that happy with them. I'm looking for a bit firmer shock, as I drive the truck pretty hard - handling is more important to me than ride quality. I'm also looking to maybe help level out the rear - I've installed an add-a-leaf, but it still sags some.

I'm trying to keep the price at or around the $50/shock mark. I had looked at the KYB MonoMax, which seemed like it could be a good choice. I was also looking at the Rancho RS5000s, as well as Monroe SensaTracs (the rears have integrated springs, which I'm thinking may help to level out the rear?). Gabriel Load Carriers also have the integrated springs, so they're on the list as well. Any personal experience with any of these? Good, bad, indifferent?

Thanks in advance! :salute:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have Monroe Reflex on my '96. Very pleased with ride/handling.

If you opt for the KYB's, Amazon might be offering 30% off using code VIPSKYBS ...

I second the Reflex if you go Monroe. I had SensaTracs on my last Ex and the Reflex on this one, and I like the Reflex better- less body roll. I paid like $36/shock on RockAuto.

Hey guys, looking for some opinions here..

It's time to replace the shocks on my 2000. Handling and ride quality have been steadily declining and the D/S rear looks like it's leaking, so I know where some of my tax return is going this year. I will also probably replace the '5th shock' in the rear. I know there's much debate as to whether or not it actually does anything, but it's not that expensive, and I plan on keeping the truck for a long time.

I'm looking for a recommendation on replacements. I've always used Monroes, but the last set I put on here haven't lasted all that long, and I was never all that happy with them. I'm looking for a bit firmer shock, as I drive the truck pretty hard - handling is more important to me than ride quality. I'm also looking to maybe help level out the rear - I've installed an add-a-leaf, but it still sags some.

I'm trying to keep the price at or around the $50/shock mark. I had looked at the KYB MonoMax, which seemed like it could be a good choice. I was also looking at the Rancho RS5000s, as well as Monroe SensaTracs (the rears have integrated springs, which I'm thinking may help to level out the rear?). Gabriel Load Carriers also have the integrated springs, so they're on the list as well. Any personal experience with any of these? Good, bad, indifferent?

Thanks in advance! :salute:

I had the same issue with the leaning after AAL. I took it to an alignment shop where the tech just so happened to be recently laid off from a Ford dealership. I told them what I had done and he said he could fix it in the alignment process. I have no idea what he did, but it sits level front to back and side to side. And the ride qaulity is still good.

He probably torsion twisted the opposite corner to make up for the sag, if it wasn't outrageously bad to start with. It is possible to do that.

KYB GR2's ride very firm, a lot less body roll. If your looking for handling, consider them.

Ha, I just put on a set of monroe LT's, ya know, the nice yellow ones

Thanks for the suggestions so far!

Should have mentioned, I'm mostly on-road.

Joe Dirt, I'm leaning towards those Monroes for the front, and the sprung SensaTracs in the rear.

Turdle, I will check into those Edelbrock IAS's.

Thanks again, keep 'em coming!

I'm surprised "Bilstein" hasn't come up. They came highly recommended to me (via this site) and I've been VERY happy with them.

I'm surprised "Bilstein" hasn't come up. They came highly recommended to me (via this site) and I've been VERY happy with them.

Yeah, but you have Canadian roads. The concrete is different.

:p:

I absolutely hated the Edelbrock IAS shocks, and I tried two sets, horrible shocks and you can search see people say the samething not just for Explorers but for other vehicles as well. Monroe Reflex shocks were waaaaaay better, better ride, better control etc.

Follow-up on an old thread - I ended up going with the Monroe Reflex up front and load-leveling Sensa-Trac in the back (seeing how bad she sagged with the back loaded up made this an easy decision). I'll follow up once they arrive and I get them installed!

Follow-up on an old thread - I ended up going with the Monroe Reflex up front and load-leveling Sensa-Trac in the back (seeing how bad she sagged with the back loaded up made this an easy decision). I'll follow up once they arrive and I get them installed!

Updates? ;)

Would love to know how the shocks are going :D

Kyb gr2 definitely.

i have the sens-a-tracs with the spring on the rears and it made my rear an 1-1.5 inches higher than my front plus leveled the sag on the drivers side. they ride decent with a little bounce to them, the fronts with sens-a-tracs ride really smooth with new bushings up front.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have Reflex's in front and Monroe Max-Airs in the rear, that fixed the sag and the rear shocks are adjustable. Drives great, or about as good as a 2nd gen truck will ever drive, still an outdated truck frame and live axle, never gonna drive or handle like new trucks that still have a live axle.

Back