Should I buy this 2001 Explorer XLS? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Should I buy this 2001 Explorer XLS?

dickendd

Reaction score
City, State
Norfolk, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Explorer XLS
Hi all, I recently sold my 94 Explorer and am looking to get into a newer model. I found this one on Craigslist: http://norfolk.craigslist.org/cto/3673345200.html
It seems to be pretty solid, miles aren't too high, and they're asking $3300. Can anybody give me any advice on what to ask about and look for on this year of explorer when I go look at it tomorrow?

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Personally I would not buy any SOHC Explorer. Be aware of the timing chain rattle if you do decide to proceed with the purchase, especially at 150k miles, you will be on borrowed time IMO.

I would look for a v8 honestly. A better engine, transmission and transfer case and the mpg is roughly the same as a v6 despite the larger displacement and AWD.

Not a great price on a sohc. I mean, i'm selling a 98 awd v8 with 137k and it has more options for about the same price so that is probably around kbb/nada value.

The sohc with that mileage scares me away more than the price i guess

Hi all, I recently sold my 94 Explorer and am looking to get into a newer model. I found this one on Craigslist: http://norfolk.craigslist.org/cto/3673345200.html
It seems to be pretty solid, miles aren't too high, and they're asking $3300. Can anybody give me any advice on what to ask about and look for on this year of explorer when I go look at it tomorrow?

Thanks

I'm assuming it's a SOHC V6 (least desirable engine due to timing chain related problems) an that also means the weaker automatic transmission. Price is way high. For a super clean SOHC V6 4x4 with low miles (this one's on the high side, mileage-wise, for a V6 SOHC) I wouldn't pay a penny more than $1800 and that would assume no timing chain noise, good tires, brakes, no leaks and service records. Small repairs like ball joints, shocks, brakes and tires add up quickly and timing chains can run over $2,000 to repair, especially if you're not a DIY'er. This time of year, with gas approaching $4+ a gallon, nobody's buying heavy 4x4's that average 15-16MPG.

If you're like me (a DIY'er) and MPG's aren't that important to you, you should be able to find a clean Limited V8 AWD with all the goodies and leather interior for less money. Keep looking.

Thanks for the replies, I am reconsidering this one based on the engine. I'll keep looking for a good V8.

Thanks for the replies, I am reconsidering this one based on the engine. I'll keep looking for a good V8.

Good call. I learned my lesson the hard way on my first Explorer. All V8's since, which I'm very happy with (and the V8 get's pretty much the same MPG as the SOHC V6). Two of my V8's have cover 180,000 miles on them and run like swiss watches. I expect to easily get 250K + out of them. My V6 is pushing 175K, rattles like a diesel and could crap out at any moment.

Nice vehicle, but not for that kind of price. I can see people running from sohc engines but just thought I'd share my ex is approaching 202k miles with no hassle so far. Not all sohc v6s are bad.

They're not- I agree with TwiztidRat. I'd be more concerned that they want $3,300 for a stripper XLS than the engine if it isn't making noise.

Well, if you're going to consider the SOHC V6, in addition to it not making chain noise while running warm, you want to make sure it doesn't make noise at start up from dead cold, that it idles smoothly when dead cold and doesn't rattle around 2500 RPM under a load. (I'd still rather have a V8 because I see no advantage to the V6's).

Explorer Prices

The prices you guys are throwing out there seem really low to me. I did a lot of research before buying my 99 XLT and you cant get a decent one with less than 160k miles on it for less than $3500 here in Oregon. The lowest mileage one i found within 300 miles of here was from a dealer with 82k on it and they were asking $8500. I offered $4700 and they didn't call me back for three days. I found another, private party, with 106k miles, 2 owners, everything worked and was very clean no rust or leaks. Paid him $4300 then had the transmission, coolant, front diff flushed, serpentine belt and air filter replaced. Runs like a champ. Its the 4.0 L SOHC 4x4, which from the reviews on car and driver and other sites i checked out, was the preferred engine. Reading these posts here baffle me.:eek:

Well, I ended up moving into the 3rd gens and buying a 2005 XLS v6 a couple of weeks ago. I'm pretty happy with it, though the gas mileage is a bit worse than I expected.

^^I'm sure you'll like the 2005 much better than the other 2nd gen Explorer you were looking at. How much was the 05?

2005 was a great year for Explorers. They all came with the message center and AdvanceTrac. You basically got an XLT with bucket seats, no 3rd row, and no fog lights.

yeah I'm sure I'll like it a lot better, and a ton better than that old '94 I was driving. I paid $5500 for it, seemed like a pretty good deal, with 116,000 miles

^^Really good deal. If I was in the market for one, I probably would have bought that.

Back