Slide hammer necessary for axle seal? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Slide hammer necessary for axle seal?

35Remmy

Reaction score
City, State
Binghamton NY, Hazleton PA, Northern NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
'88,'99 Ranger, '00 EX
Hey guys...do you know if I NEED a slide hammer to remove the outer axle seal on my '00 Explorer, 8.8"?

I just rented one at Advance but was wondering if a typical seal/gasket removal tool (it's like a pick, its got 2 sides) would get the seal out. They're like 12$.

I'm doing this job tomorrow.....never slid axles out before but I'm sure I can figure it out with my trusty Haynes (puke) manual by my side.

I'm also wondering if I should have purchased the bearing b/c we all know that a bad bearing can cause the seal to take a crap. Although the Explorer has 200,000 miles on her.

What do you think?>

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you are replacing the seal I have never used a special tool to remove one. It doesn't matter if you tear it up.

If you have that kind of mileage on the X I would replace the bearing while I had it apart. It might save you having to tear it down again later and it could be the reason the seal went out.

I pried the old seal with a hammer since obviously I was not worried about destroying the old one. The new one I hammered in with a wooden block in front of it to take some of the shock and distribute the load evenly across the seal.

Nope, no seal puller needed. To put it back in, you can do as IZwack said or use a large socket (matched to the seal rim size) as a driver.

Thanks for the replies, guys. I've never done this so I followed the directions per the Haynes manual. I didn't THINK it was absolutely necessary.

It's one of the few automotive tools I don't own since it's something I would use once every 10 years.

A large socket is what I use, just make sure the socket is big enough you are driving the seal in on the metal and not the seal its self.

The seal is no big deal, but the axle bearings are hell to remove without a special tool. Autozone had that puller tool the last time I went. With a slide hammer it's a five minute job. Do the bearings if you can, the axle surface for the bearing is the weakest link. Regards,

Unless it comes with the seal it should only be the bearing and the race.

...when i just did the bearings on my ranger, they had the option of bearings and seals, or the "kit"...the kit is the bearings, race, and seal all inclusive in one part rather than being seperate parts...i was skeptical at first but it made for a quick job... i would recommend the kit...;)

The kit does sound convenient...thanks!!!

Indeed, since you're doing 90% of the work needed to replace the bearing just to do the seal, may as well spend the few extra bucks and minutes it takes to do the rest of the job.

But to answer the question, a simple seal remover of some fancy screwdriver work is all it takes to get the old seal out.

-Joe

The seal is no big deal, but the axle bearings are hell to remove without a special tool. Autozone had that puller tool the last time I went. With a slide hammer it's a five minute job. Do the bearings if you can, the axle surface for the bearing is the weakest link. Regards,

It's a huge problem with no slide hammer. I was hard headed and tried to remove the bearing with a pipe through the whole axle tube, pried and pulled beat banged and cussed. I drove to AZ got the slide hammer and in 5 minutes it was out. FYI- to pull the bearings, remove the cage and rollers, then pull the race.

The special bearing puller tool will fit just inside the bearings, a few yanks will pull it all out complete.

Yeah, I used the "special tool" it tightens 3 jaws up that fit inside the bearing. The one I used was damaged, didn't work just right. The second time, I used a home made slide hammer, just a hook on the end, it worked just as well.

The one for bearings is an attachment for slide hammers. In different sizes, it is just a short bar like a finger which pivots in the middle. The tool is installed with the "finger" pointed in or straight, inside the bearing the finger open and fits flat against the backside of the bearing. It won't slip off, a set had been on eBay for about $45 once(Snap-On). Regards,

Yeah guys, I did use the slide hammer and it was a piece of cake.

The only problem I encountered was after I had the wheels off, truck on jackstands and diff cover off the pinion shaft/bolt was on the opposite side I needed it to be in order to work on it.

Sooo...I had to put the tires back on, take it off of the jackstands and push the explorer in reverse so the the pinion would rotate to the correct side so I could access it.

Now I know what is meant by C-clip!!!

VERY easy job...just VERY messy...and I HATE gear oil!!! After working extensively around the stuff in the military for 4 years I get these insane headaches from the smell of it.

Washing it out of my hair is never easy, either.

I SHOULD have just done the other side, too while I had the opportunity.

Back