sliders | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

sliders

for the 3" tube step bars you purchase from the store is not very thick walled and will crease, dent and bend the first good rock you set them down on.

it is just my opinion but for the $200 or more you spend on step tubes you could spend and extra hundred and have someone make you a custom set of slider/steps.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

well what size steel do u suggest using for sliders, should they be tube/square steel, plate steel??

if i have an idea of what they should be made out of, i have someone that can weld it up for me off a design
would appreciate description of steel and even cost if u happen to know it off the top of ur head, thanks

if i have an idea of what they should be made out of, i have someone that can weld it up for me off a design

Stats: 2x2" .120" tube (main body and mount legs)
1.5" .120" DOM tube (kick outs)
4x4" 1/4" Plate (mounting leg foot pads)

well what size steel do u suggest using for sliders, should they be tube/square steel, plate steel??

Its up to you weather you want square or round. Rick's sliders are all square, and Cory L's sliders are all round. The main thing is to make sure you use tubing that is heavy enough to take the abuse you plan on giving your sliders. Most fabricators are going to use .120" DOM tubing just like they use for roll cages.

thank you, much appreciated

Originally posted by DB_1
I've got a Lincoln 220v Mig welder so all I need now is a bender which I'm getting with my tax return. I'd host a fab party if you don't mind the drive out here to the Palm Springs area and hopefully it isnt too hot by the time I get the bender. Fabbing up stuff in 100+ degree weather isn't my idea of fun:p I also have to find a local metal supplier, I know for sure there's one in Anaheim and I think one is in Irvine too but it would be nice to find one in my area.

As far as the E-brake cable and fuel lines are concerned i'm in the same boat. I have a cable mount by my radius arm mount which if I move up a couple inches should work without binding at the other end and as for the fuel lines, I forget how they are attatched to the frame exactly but I was thinking space them out with pieces of wood when it comes time to weld to the frame.

yah, we built my bumper in 100+ weather and it was harsh, but the beer was cold so it made up for it. :D

the shop in irvine, called IMS, is about a mile from where I work, and about 10m from my pad. I go there whenever I need metal. Good store. I could haul some sheeit out there, but it would be stickin out the rear window for the 1.25hr drive. ebrake and fuel line ideas are good about those blox of wood. i think they are just on clips, but mine are hard lines and might be kinda hard to bend from where they go into the tank

Yeah, I saw IMS on Monster House some metal was delivered to the house they were "improving".
I think the hard lines will be safe as long as they aren't touching the frame when it comes time to weld. Like I said before maybe make some inch or so spacers out of scrap wood and it should be good to go.;)

DB_1 said:
I've got a Lincoln 220v Mig welder so all I need now is a bender which I'm getting with my tax return. I'd host a fab party if you don't mind the drive out here to the Palm Springs area.
Dave, did you get a bender yet?? :D

Dang. .how did I miss this thread. I'd be all over a group fab meet.

I've got 110v welder, bender (only 1.5" die so far :( ), chop saw, grinder, drills, etc. All 'portable' ;)

I need a couple more dies and a notcher to get started on my bumper, but I'd be glad to help others make some sliders :thumbsup:

Maybe we could grab an old beat up '91 and go at it Monster Garage style :D

Jefe said:
Dang. .how did I miss this thread. I'd be all over a group fab meet.

I've got 110v welder, bender (only 1.5" die so far :( ), chop saw, grinder, drills, etc. All 'portable' ;)

I need a couple more dies and a notcher to get started on my bumper, but I'd be glad to help others make some sliders :thumbsup:

Maybe we could grab an old beat up '91 and go at it Monster Garage style :D

Jefe buddy ...pal..Why didn't ya say so! :p After Big Bear It' will remind me of why I need sliders :rolleyes:

Stic-o said:
After Big Bear It' will remind me of why I need sliders :rolleyes:
Good, I want to watch you rip up your rockers. . .then I'll offer to help build some sliders. :p :D

I've gotta make some sliders for John too. . .if he'd ever get off his butt and buy some metal. :rolleyes:

BTW Felix, Those look good :thumbsup: (Thanks for letting us hijack your thread ;) )

RangerX said:
DB_1 said:
Dave, did you get a bender yet?? :D

It should be here any day now...I ordered M-Tech supply's manual bender w/ degree ring, stand and 1 3/4" die set. Just need to do a metal supply run then
i'll be ready to rock. :thumbsup:

Back