• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

sohc v/s ohv on '99 4.0 explorer 4wd

sherri

Reaction score
City, State
missouri
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 sohc 4.0 v6 4x4
hi! trying to find out if a ohv( over head valve) can be interchanged with an sohc(single over head cam) . my sohc engine went out and i have another engine, but it's an ohv. we've been told yes and no. what's your opinions?:feedback:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

explorerguy89

Reaction score
City, State
West Berlin, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 sas sport
id say try to trade for another sohc since its easier to swap and OHV motors are rare finds in later years so many people need them but thats just my#2¢
☺♪♫♪♪♫♫♪♫©don

sherri

Reaction score
City, State
missouri
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 sohc 4.0 v6 4x4
0n my ohc the cam finally went after rattlling for a year

explorerguy89

Reaction score
City, State
West Berlin, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 sas sport
try to rebuild it?

Dono

347 V8 Limited turbo
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Year, Model & Trim Level
00 Limited V8
I undrestand the ohv could work, but it isnt straight forward. Id say your best bet is to fix your sohc. You might even find a sohc at the wrecking yard cheep.

snoranger

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Jackson, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 limited on 35's
I undrestand the ohv could work, but it isnt straight forward. Id say your best bet is to fix your sohc. You might even find a sohc at the wrecking yard cheep.

Did you look at the date???

Dono

347 V8 Limited turbo
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Year, Model & Trim Level
00 Limited V8
:scratch: oops. Not sure how I even pulled it up.

A bit embarassing.